Updating Emby plugin (FreeNAS)

Andrew_P

Hi,

I was just wondering if I have to manually update my jail with the Emby plugin, or will this happen automatically when a new version is in the FreeNAS plugins? I installed Emby from the FreeNAS plugins, so I am currently running Emby 4.0.2.0.

Hi, how did you install 4.0.2?

I installed Emby a while ago on the FreeNAS box, must have been the most recent version when I installed it.

So the FreeNAS web interface has 4.0.2?

Now that I have checked the plugins, Emby has been updated to version 4.1.1.0_3. So I guess it does not automatically update. Is there an easy way to update my existing Emby install? Or would I need to just reinstall it from the plugins?

Edit:

Sorry i'm stupid, I never realised I could just update emby using:

pkg update
pkg upgrade

Thanks for the help anyway :)

Edited by Andrew_P

So what version do you have now?

I updated it last night to 4.1.1.0_3. However I noticed that there is a new version released today (4.2.1.0) so i'll update to the new version today.

I updated it last night to 4.1.1.0_3. However I noticed that there is a new version released today (4.2.1.0) so i'll update to the new version today.

pkg update

pkg upgrade

Will not always give you the latest version of Emby on the day it's released. Keep that in mind. 4.2.1.0 got released on Aug 8th. The pkg didn't get updated in FreeBSD until Sept 2. To get the latest and greatest instantly you'll need to manually update from github which isn't difficult but not done through the GUI so not really recommended for everyone.

• Like 1

pkg update

pkg upgrade

Will not always give you the latest version of Emby on the day it's released. Keep that in mind. 4.2.1.0 got released on Aug 8th. The pkg didn't get updated in FreeBSD until Sept 2. To get the latest and greatest instantly you'll need to manually update from github which isn't difficult but not done through the GUI so not really recommended for everyone.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm still not too well versed with FreeBSD yet (I am used to Linux mostly), so I would not really be that confident doing a manual update quite yet. But thanks for letting me know :)

bizarro252

Manual updating is pretty simple if you are already at least basically versed in getting into your jails via the command line and running commands.

From within your jail you can follow the directions here, be sure to select the proper release link from the Github (beta vs release, etc)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-1

The directions under the 'Update' section in Lukes thread there work great, and will allow you to stay up to date to whatever version you would like without waiting for the package to be updated.

Edited by bizarro252
  • Like 1

This is using the IOCage system on FreeNAS, right?

Yeah, Emby in installed inside of a jail on my FreeNAS

Manual updating is pretty simple if you are already at least basically versed in getting into your jails via the command line and running commands.

From within your jail you can follow the directions here, be sure to select the proper release link from the Github (beta vs release, etc)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-1

The directions under the 'Update' section in Lukes thread there work great, and will allow you to stay up to date to whatever version you would like without waiting for the package to be updated.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware there was a guide for manual FreeNAS updating.

Edited by Andrew_P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
riccote

There have been two release since the available plugin. Is the plugin maintainer going to update to the latest release soon?  

MRobi

There have been two release since the available plugin. Is the plugin maintainer going to update to the latest release soon?  

If you're on FreeNAS 11.3 check out the community plugin section

It should hopefully be in FreeBSD ports soon. Thanks.