qazwsx10
Go to solution Solved by qazwsx10,

I thought I saw a previous post about this earlier, but I couldn't find it when I searched for it again (it may have been on reddit). I had read that if you have a Nvidia Shield as the Emby Client/App, the screensaver wouldn't turn on automatically when you pause your media since it's play directly on the Nvidia Shield.

I was curious if instead we use the LG Emby App directly on the TV, if the screensaver would turn on if we pause the media since it is an internal app?

Thank you!

Qazwsx10

I can test, but it should.  I'll get back to you.

Thank you! Would love to hear what happens. I don't want to baby site my OLED TV once I have it up and running and want to avoid being a jerk to my in-law who has a habit of pausing and leaving the TV for an hour or two.

rbjtech

My C8 OLED will display the built in screen saver anyway on any static images/pause from any source after ~30 seconds or so anyway - so unless you want bespoke images/screensavers from Emby, then the OLED is 'protected' out the box.  :)

Edited by rbjtech

My C8 OLED will display the built in screen saver anyway on any static images/pause from any source after ~30 seconds or so anyway - so unless you want bespoke images/screensavers from Emby, then the OLED is 'protected' out the box.  :)

I'm so happy to hear that!! I just bought a C8 also, so I would love to hear if you did anything else to optimize it for Emby? I'm planning on using my Nvidia Shield as my server and use the C8 as the sole client.

rbjtech

I'm so happy to hear that!! I just bought a C8 also, so I would love to hear if you did anything else to optimize it for Emby? I'm planning on using my Nvidia Shield as my server and use the C8 as the sole client.

No special treatment for the C8 - It direct plays everything I throw at it (including DTS (hint-hint Samsung..) .. Enjoy - it really is an Epic TV !  :D

No special treatment for the C8 - It direct plays everything I throw at it (including DTS (hint-hint Samsung..) .. Enjoy - it really is an Epic TV !  :D

I just finished setting it up today, and oh my goodness! I went up from a Vizio D60-D3, and the LG C8 absurdly better. I feel like I've been watching movies wrong my whole life! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just did some testing and unfortunately our LG C8 won't turn on the screensaver or go to sleep if we're playing directly on Nvidia Shield. We paused a video to test and after 10 minutes, the image had remained static for some reason. Oddly when I searched on reddit and elsewhere, this sounds like a common issue with the LG OLED TVs for some reason.

I expect if you’re playing via a hdmi device like the shield, we would have no control over how the tv decides to control the screensaver

rbjtech

I expect if you’re playing via a hdmi device like the shield, we would have no control over how the tv decides to control the screensaver

I've only ever seen the LG screensaver when using the Emby LG App or OTA broadcasts, I must confess I have never seen it via HDMI for the Xbox etc because I've never paused for that long..  my apologies if I misled you there ..  :unsure:

Edited by rbjtech

I've only ever seen the LG screensaver when using the Emby LG App or OTA broadcasts, I must confess I have never seen it via HDMI for the Xbox etc because I've never paused for that long..  my apologies if I misled you there ..  :unsure:

No worries, I won't lie, I did get pretty excited. I have one user that just loves to pause movies indefinitely  :( .

But I'll use the Emby LG App and see if I can force the TV to turn on the screensaver even sooner than it is already set as.

• 5 months later...
  • Solution
qazwsx10

I just wanted to come back with a conclusion!

So there is an option within the LG TV settings under picture that allows you to turn off just the screen (pressing any button reactivates it) regardless of whichever input you are on. It's kind of a hassle to go there, but I recently purchased a Logitech Harmony Remote (with hub) and I was able to program the remote to turn off the screen with a single button click. If anyone wants to know the specific sequence I used, definitely let me know!