Emby retains duplicates because of case changes

braigo64

Emby appears to retain old metadata values if the only difference between old and new value is a change in character case.

Below you can see this artist shows up twice. 

5d77e3dd0adeb_case_aha.png

Originally the mp3 file listed the artist as "A-ha", but was later changed to "a-ha" when I was doing some metadata cleanup. Both artists take you to the same album with the one song. The song metadata however shows this:

5d77eb1aa85eb_case_aha_metadata.png

Refreshing the music library in Emby server does not remove the duplicate artist listing. The "A-ha" is not referenced anywhere. I've checked all files in the artist and album folder.

Here is a different example:

5d77e814c3a82_case_gaga.png

The artist on the left with the second capital G only lists one album and a few songs that contain an artist spelled as "Lady GaGa". Some songs at one point did erroneously contain the misspelling but have since been fixed. As you can see the screenshot below all mp3 metadata is correct now:

5d77e87d1e7d8_case_gaga_actual.png

But it is still listed incorrectly in Emby:

5d77eb26a6772_case_gaga_metadata.png

I've even attempted to edit the metadata of each file within Emby and change the artist from "Lady GaGa" to "Lady Gaga" and save it, and refresh the library. But every time I come back the duplicate artist still shows, and the songs still show the second capital G even though the mp3s are actually correct. There are no files that contain this error either.

5d77e9a771e40_case_gaga_files.png

Maybe Emby is caching it all somewhere, but I would expect the cache would be cleared on a library refresh.

I have several duplicate artists and sometimes albums listed. I've done a major metadata update on most of my library so I expect Emby should have picked up all the changes, but it appears it is not releasing old values.

PenkethBoy

have you tried

1. remove the album folder from emby

2. run a library scan

check if the duplicate Lady GaGa is gone

if so then add the album back - but double check the album.nfo has a correct entry for Lady Gaga first just in case

if not then - probably another track has the incorrect entry - say a compilation album

Also check ALL tags in Mp3Tag using the (ALT+T) Extended Tags to see if you might have a GaGa still hanging around in another TAG as mp3Tag does not show all tags by default

e.g.

5d7bdf7b39e4e_Annotation20190913192602.j

Edited by PenkethBoy

Heckler

have you tried

1. remove the album folder from emby

2. run a library scan

check if the duplicate Lady GaGa is gone

if so then add the album back - but double check the album.nfo has a correct entry for Lady Gaga first just in case

if not then - probably another track has the incorrect entry - say a compilation album

Also check ALL tags in Mp3Tag using the (ALT+T) Extended Tags to see if you might have a GaGa still hanging around in another TAG as mp3Tag does not show all tags by default

e.g.

5d7bdf7b39e4e_Annotation20190913192602.j

Finally, some one with some common sense and an actual understanding of the problem offers a glimmer of hope. This issue has been getting worse and worse without me making any changes to my metadata at all... Artists that were once perfectly listed suddenly showing up 2, 3, 4... and in some cases 10 fricken times. I'm meticulous about my metadata, and I make sure anything I add has been tagged correctly especially music.

But it seems recent changes have decided that anything in a tag is used and simply creates multiple entries... with no thought what so ever to whether that extra data is required or not.

I finally got U2 and Alanis Morissette under control (both had 3 or 4 entries... But the rest are proving stubborn and it may take me a while to resolve them... But I finally see a glimmer of a solution. I wasn't even aware of the alt+t option in mp3tag and I've been using it for years... Some of the garbage in files is pathetic... and it appears that some of the data is things being tagged with multiple musicbrainz ids for the artist.

So I'm going back over the 20 or so problem artists and stripping out everything superfluous...

Why this has reared it's ugly head is beyond me... all you need from the tags is pertinent information... not every single scrap of data that just fucks everything up. It used to work... but oh no... let's make a change for the better... oh it makes it worse... tough shit.

So thank you... you actually appear to have a brain.  :)

• Like 1

Turns out iTunes was retaining junk info for Lady Gaga, once I refreshed the song info for her in iTunes her issue went away.  However a-ha seems fine, but I haven't had time to go back and investigate. I'll try the above steps as soon as I can.

PenkethBoy

"Garbage" Tags is always going to be a problem so needs to be addressed before adding your media to emby

I use the Picard app from musicbrainz to sort out my music tags so they are correct before adding an album to Emby

TIP: on musicbrainz some well known artists have more than one musicbrainz id so can cause issues like you are seeing so double check this before adding to Emby

As for iTunes - i dont use it so cant comment on how good or bad the info is etc

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming you're running a recent version, the server can handle case changes, so that by itself is not a problem. But it could have happened in conjunction with something else that would be the actual problem, e.g. different artist musicbrainz id's, or other external id.