Music is direct streaming instead of direct playing

docflo7

docflo7

Hi,  

I recently setup kodi and the emby add-on, and I'm struggling with an issue since last week. 

When playing music, some songs are cut before their actual ending.

At first, I thought the files were having issues, since it seemed to happen only on some files, but after fixing these files, it was still happening. 
After trying/checking some stuff, I saw in the logs that kodi was "Direct Streaming" my music, instead of "Direct Playing" it. (even though the Emby server dashboard says it's Direct Playing)
And it seems that it forces a transcode to 128kbps VBR mp3, and that some of the VBR files generated are not properly handled. (original file is a 320kbps CBR mp3)

So, is there a way to force direct playing instead of direct streaming ? 
Or something else that could at least stops the songs from skipping their endings ?

(after reading this post, it seems that some changes were made recently, but since I didn't not use Emby before, I don't know if that could be the cause of this)

I'm running Kodi 18.4 with Emby add-on 4.1.14 on an Android 9 TV. 

In the attached logs, the song starts playing around line 14535, but since they were quite a lot of errors and warnings in the log, I kept it complete, if this is related to my issue.

Thanks in Advance,

kodi.docflo7.log

Angelblue05

This is only available with native playback, however I am surprised to hear this, does the same thing happen playing via webclient?

Edited by Angelblue05

Thanks for your answer.

I'm getting a "Playback Error" when trying to play a song using the webclient on my default browser (which seems to be Opera based).

(and playing a video doesn't work either, it just displays the cover art)

Web client playback is fine on other devices (Windows 10 laptop, Android 9 phone)

So I guess the issue doesn't come from the Add-on, but an incompatibility between my TV and the Emby server ?

(also, yes, I read a bit more after posting yesterday, and realized that Direct Streaming was the intended behavior, but it shouldn't transcode the files, especially since it's happening on music but not on videos)

edit: I think it's worth mentionning that the Emby app for Android TV has no playback issue.

edit 2: (probably a server issue as well) when skipping songs, it doesn't interrupt the transcode, but since the file is not "consummed" by the client, it's not cleaned up, which leads to an abnormal storage usage of the "transcoding-temp" folder. 

Edited by docflo7