11 replies to this topic

#1 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 AM

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have been ignoring many different screens in the roku that aren't quite aligned correctly for the information being displayed.  Most notably bottom alignment and right alignment.  Letters and or titles being cut off.  This is nothing new, never mentioned any of it.  Greater scheme of things its not a big deal...

Before i start posting examples just wondering if something is coming down the pike that will make these current layouts a moot point.

When i have to start pointing out layout issues it means everything is great and i'm just bored!

Thanks...

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135879 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

Hi, can you show a screenshot example? thanks !

#3 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46390 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

Yes, please point out what you find.  We try to leave safe areas in the design.  The one place I know we push it a bit is the Live TV guide view.

#4 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'll take pictures and post them as i see them...  I got "stuck" (not literally) somewhere a few times recently.  Only had two rows and i couldn't scroll down to the second row to see the labels under them.  Like i said it's minor infractions and only in a few locations. 

As far as the right issues...  think maybe 6 items displayed left to right would work out much better, but then people would have to figure out to keep scrolling right to see more (recently added moves and items like that).  Having 6 1/2 movies display just doesn't look "refined".

Believe i also ran across words cut off on the right side in the cool new info panel that you made.  But it was an exception more than a rule there.

But i will make certain to take a picture going forward and get them posted for review...

Edited by skidmarks, 09 September 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#5 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46390 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

As far as the right issues...  think maybe 6 items displayed left to right would work out much better, but then people would have to figure out to keep scrolling right to see more (recently added moves and items like that).  Having 6 1/2 movies display just doesn't look "refined".

Having partial content visible is actually proper design in these situations because, as you noted, it makes it obvious there is more content to scroll to.

• skidmarks likes this

#6 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:38 AM

It was driving me nuts trying to remember where i was having my issues...  Its all the mixed content folders.  The last row after scrolling down.  You can't see item labels.

Also noticed that any display some libraries that shows 6 items across have no item labels at all.

PM you photos

Edited by skidmarks, 10 September 2019 - 02:20 AM.

#7 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5269 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:52 AM

@skidmarks Can you post some photos too in the thread?

I am presently doing work in this very area and were before you brought this up as I noticed it as well. Part of this will also be speeding up the rendering of the images on the cards and speeding up general scrolling/browsing when navigate rows/grids of cards.

But you mean you dislike the fact text is not shown on some screens? Like the TV / Movies view on the grid will not show the "text group" presently. You want the "text group" back? There is code stubbed to allow a setting for this it just hasn't been designed into the app yet. It is there to utilize with a setting eventually.

I need pictures to see exactly what you mean. I believe I already know what you mean as I see the same thing and am presently addressing those very issues. Also doing work on lots of behind the scenes stuff regarding image scaling/sizing and aspect-ratio correctness. In fact we will very soon have our own scaling/resolution builder rather than rely on Roku to scale things for us onto the cards. This should resolve all these aspect ratio things once and for all. I think I know exactly what you mean and am already trying to resolve that issue before you even brought it up. You must be on a close wavelength to how I think. I start to fix something and not shortly after you bring up the exact issue I am presently trying to solve. Please show pictures though what you mean so I know for sure if I am tackle the exact issue you are discuss already. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles, 10 September 2019 - 01:54 AM.

#8 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:06 AM

@speechles

You know its fairly scary mind melding like this.  I know there is more, but it took me a while to remember where i was seeing some of this stuff.  I'll keep better track of where i see minor adjustments.

Thanks, as always, guys!

#9 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5269 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:11 AM

@speechles

You know its fairly scary mind melding like this.  I know there is more, but it took me a while to remember where i was seeing some of this stuff.  I'll keep better track of where i see minor adjustments.

Thanks, as always, guys!

I never tested the new "smooth as butter" and "dynamic scale" effects yet to see if they play nice with mixed content type. I think the way I do it now with mixed content type is right. It will always assume landscape for these. Where before it would assume portrait. That should solve most of the problem. But as far as different resolution images it isn't going to stretch these. They will be scaled as large(..or small) as possible and then centered. So it will look alot like the way the app already does right now. So much alike that you might think we actually didn't change anything. That is the intended effect. Where the app was doing it incorrectly should suddenly just look correct. That is how this will play out hopefully. The entire card rendering engine is rewritten in brightscript rather than rely on Roku firmware to scaleToFit. This way we control the entire presentation good, bad, and ugly. This will eventually allow settings to show different card and image sizes which the new rendering fully supports.

Edited by speechles, 10 September 2019 - 02:17 AM.

#10 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

A little follow up to my over scan issue (right part of the screen) being cut off...

Went into the settings in both the 65" and the 48" Sony TV's i use most often.  While the 65" was barely noticable the older 48" was cutting off the items on the right side.  Not horribly, but some items were definitely noticeable.

The roku (due to using a HDMI input) was the only thing that i was seeing this with.  I use an off air antenna for regular TV.

To fix this for the roku i changed the HDMI input from "normal" to "square pixel" mode within the TV settings.  

Basically "normal" takes into account the VBI info and normal under scan settings (you dont want to see the VBI so normal causes the over scan so the top 21 lines are not visable), but most HDMI equipment in todays world that you would plug in does not have VBI information.  "Square pixel" mode forces the TV to show all the information (like a computer monitor).  At least that's my take on it in the simplest form.

But changing my HDMI input over resolved the over scan issue.

This did not resolve the mixed content items from being cut off.  But will make my folder images uniform in size to possibly resolve that issue.

Edited by skidmarks, 11 September 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#11 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5269 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:06 PM

But will make my folder images uniform in size to possibly resolve that issue.

Explain what you mean "uniform in size"?

You will not need to no do this. Please don't adjust your images. We our your media your way. Do not adjust. We adjust. We are adjusting.

What I am doing is adjust entirely how we load images into "cards". Think of cards like all the information within the focus rectangle/square. The images, the text, the everything inside it. Right now I am adjust the images in the cards and overlays too so all of this should look better or the same. It will not in any way look worse. 

I will get with Eric very shortly and start getting with him to get some of this merged. It is very close right now to having the right look, feel, and response. It will render faster after these changes. It will scroll faster. It will respect aspect ratio "all the time" and not use any special magic to do so. Just alot of complex maths. Optimize this math part is where Eric can help me reduce what we do inside the maincard after this to optimize everything. But right now unoptimized it runs faster and just feels more responsive so imagine the potential optimized.

The aspect ratio on mixed items may get fixed with what I am doing or it may stay alot the same. It is hard to tell until you get it in your hands how we have done. I am not confident we will solve it on the first try but we might. After this change and we get input back we can refine this more and get rid of any problems. There shouldn't be any problems but you can never say you tested everything even if you have. Things change all the time. My environment is not yours and cannot possibly replicate every single thing that might/could cause issues. So the best is we do our best to give you our best. This should make it that way all the time with images. You will get the best image possible laid into the texture memory and copied into the image space expediently. I am wring every ounce of speed I can out of the Roku when rendering to get this as fast as possible. You may notice some lag during rendering if there are lots of rows at first. It does this giant push to get the screen completed when going to new screens. On going back usually the texture buffer stays intact now going back is instant no redraw of the screen except for the refresh of the row. It is fast to get into and out of screens now. You will like these changes because they speed up everything the app does. Everything.

Edited by speechles, 11 September 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#12 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

Explain what you mean "uniform in size"?

My mixed content folders images are a hodgepodge of aspect ratios.  I could have sworn at one point something like you are describing above was active.  Making my folder images fit into those "card" windows.  I was just gonna go in and make the folder images uniform.

As mentioned, i am positive you've got this (according to the mind meld data i'm picking up) well under control!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users