Emby app not loading subtitles at all

slavd

Hello,

I am new to Emby, and so far everything seems awesome, with the exception that on Tizen OS the Emby app is not loading subtitles at all.

My Setup:

TV: UE43KU6072
Tizen OS version: 1240 (Tizen says this is the newest version even after a manual check)
NAS: Synology (DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3)
Emby server version: 4.2.1.0
Emby client for TizenOS versions tested:

• from SmartHub:
    version: 1.0.62
    released on: July 18 2019 (according to the store)
  • from Github:
    Commit: 160756d43ddb7bfebf32a728bffde83766278000 (latest one at the time of writing)

Played media:

• container: MP4
  • video codec: x264
  • audio codec: aac
  • subtitles: external (.srt) & the same subtitles embedded as MOV_TEXT

Expected behaviour:
To be able to play the movie on the Emby TizenOS client app with subtitles, just as I am able to play it from the Android, IOS and Web clients.

Actual behaviour:
The subtitles are selected, but no subtitles are shown during playback.

What I tried:

• Sideloading the latest version of the client app
  • Completely disabling the transcoding permissions for the user signed in the TizenOS client app.
  • Enabling the transcoding and transcoding the media to a lower quality
  • Checking the "embyserver.txt" log for errors - did not find anything out of the ordinary.

P.S. I can PM the  embyserver.txt log.

Edited by slavd
  • Like 1

Please PM me the file.  If possible, please also give me a copy of some transcoding or remux logs.  Thanks!

Glad you're now on the forum  ;)  

Edited by SamES

rbjtech

.. 2 further tests spring to mind.  1)  Remove the internal subs (MOV_TEXT) and rely on the external .SRT file and 2) If MOV_TEXT is 'Default' then remove this flag from the internal subs to see if it makes any difference.

Got to say I really like that report  :)

Thanks.

.. 2 further tests spring to mind.  1)  Remove the internal subs (MOV_TEXT) and rely on the external .SRT file and 2) If MOV_TEXT is 'Default' then remove this flag from the internal subs to see if it makes any difference.

Just tested those.

Results:

- Movie without embedded subtitles: Works! (however the subs have to have the exact same name as the movie. Not sure what the convention is to support different languages. "<movie_name>-<3 letter lang code (ISO-639-2)>.<container_ext>" does not work)

- Movie with one embedded subtitles, no external ones: Does not work

- Movie with 2 embedded subtitles (different languages), no external ones: Does not work

Note: I could not figure out a way to tell ffmpeg to not make the first subtitle stream default. Not sure if it relevant to the case, since the Tizen app displays them anyway, even telling me that the stream is "default"

Please PM me the file.  If possible, please also give me a copy of some transcoding or remux logs.  Thanks!

Glad you're now on the forum  ;)   

@SamES   The movie is played via "direct play" so I do not think the other logs will be relevant.   But given the situation, do you still need the logs at all?

BTW: Just tried playing to movie over DLNA on the same TV - no subtitles as well.

FrostByte

If you haven't seen it already

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

I only need the forced English subs so mine are all like

moviename.eng.forced.srt

and then I have the settings in the app set to forced only

It looks like it uses ISO 639-1/2.  Wiki doesn't really say

Edited by FrostByte

rbjtech

Thanks.

Just tested those.

Results:

- Movie without embedded subtitles: Works! (however the subs have to have the exact same name as the movie. Not sure what the convention is to support different languages. "<movie_name>-<3 letter lang code (ISO-639-2)>.<container_ext>" does not work)

- Movie with one embedded subtitles, no external ones: Does not work

- Movie with 2 embedded subtitles (different languages), no external ones: Does not work

Note: I could not figure out a way to tell ffmpeg to not make the first subtitle stream default. Not sure if it relevant to the case, since the Tizen app displays them anyway, even telling me that the stream is "default"

@SamES   The movie is played via "direct play" so I do not think the other logs will be relevant.   But given the situation, do you still need the logs at all?

BTW: Just tried playing to movie over DLNA on the same TV - no subtitles as well.

re external name for srt - almost  ;) - replace your '-' with a '.' and you are good to go. (exact same movie name as you've found out)

ffmpeg to remove the 'Default' flag is using the -disposition function - so

-disposition:s:0 default

Sets the subtitle Default,

-disposition:s:0 0

removes it.

(I have only tested this on Audio tracks but should work equally well on subtitle tracks..)

**EDIT** - This does not work for single subtitle tracks, it looks like you must have a Default ..   :(

I can re-create this scenerio (.MP4) - if I add internal mov_text subtitles, then any external .srt's get ignored and subs do not work even if selected.

If I remove the internal subs, then the .srt'(s) play just fine.

So until there is an app fix, your only option is to remove the internal subs ..  :wacko:

Edited by rbjtech

Oh i haven't actually. Thanks

-disposition:s:0 0

Does not work. Ffmpeg always sets the first stream as default, no matter what. 

HOWEVER, I just tested the Tizen app with a movie that has 2 embedded subtitle streams (MOV_TEXT) one of which is default, and 2 external streams, one of which default. In the app I can choose between 4 subtitle streams (that is to be expected), but the important part is that both of the external subtitles work as expected

@@SamES now knowing the cause, I don't think you will need the logs, would you? 

Anyways, until a new version of the app is released, my only option would be create external subtitles with proper names and place them inside the movie's folder, and then refresh all metadata. The problem is that I have over 500 movies, and at least 10 series, so I will have to write a script to do it :D .

Edited by slavd

rbjtech

Why not just use the built in subtitle fetcher (open subtitles) to get the subs for you - signing up is free but you'll be restricted to 200 downloads a day.

Why not just use the built in subtitle fetcher (open subtitles) to get the subs for you - signing up is free but you'll be restricted to 200 downloads a day.

Because most of the time I cannot find subtitles which are both synced and translated properly (not translated via google translate).

That is why I inspect each subtitle before I add it, and correct it manually if needed (or if too hard to be corrected, download another subtitle until I find suitable one).

Furthermore I use a script that converts my media according to my exact needs every time and the script expects to be passed 2 subtitle files, in order to embed them into the container.

TL;DR; It is far more easy to write a script that will extract the 2 streams from each movie/episode and will write them to disk according to the convention used.

Edited by slavd
  • Like 1

Oh i haven't actually. Thanks

Does not work. Ffmpeg always sets the first stream as default, no matter what. 

HOWEVER, I just tested the Tizen app with a movie that has 2 embedded subtitle streams (MOV_TEXT) one of which is default, and 2 external streams, one of which default. In the app I can choose between 4 subtitle streams (that is to be expected), but the important part is that both of the external subtitles work as expected

@@SamES now knowing the cause, I don't think you will need the logs, would you? 

Anyways, until a new version of the app is released, my only option would be create external subtitles with proper names and place them inside the movie's folder, and then refresh all metadata. The problem is that I have over 500 movies, and at least 10 series, so I will have to write a script to do it :D .

What do you think the cause is?

What do you think the cause is?

I believe the TIzen app does not read the embedded subtitle streams properly, it knows they are there (since it displays them for selection), but does not how to read the stream. This is based on my obervations that:

1. Web app, Android and IOS apps display them correctly

2. Tizen OS app displays external subs properly and plays them (with or without the presence of embedded ones).

My guess would be that the bug is in the TIzenOS app, but without looking at the actual code it is just a guess.

Should be easy enough to replicate though. Or if not I am free to test patches in the next week or so.

Edited by slavd

rbjtech

Because most of the time I cannot find subtitles which are both synced and translated properly (not translated via google translate).

That is why I inspect each subtitle before I add it, and correct it manually if needed (or if too hard to be corrected, download another subtitle until I find suitable one).

Furthermore I use a script that converts my media according to my exact needs every time and the script expects to be passed 2 subtitle files, in order to embed them into the container.

TL;DR; It is far more easy to write a script that will extract the 2 streams from each movie/episode and will write them to disk according to the convention used.

ok cool - I do much the same. Open subtitle subs are very hit and miss I agree.

Should make for an interesting script - perhaps publish in the utilities section when it's up and working if you're willing to share it.  :)

I believe the TIzen app does not read the embedded subtitle streams properly, it knows they are there (since it displays them for selection), but does not how to read the stream. This is based on my obervations that:

1. Web app, Android and IOS apps display them correctly

2. Tizen OS app displays external subs properly and plays them (with or without the presence of embedded ones).

My guess would be that the bug is in the TIzenOS app, but without looking at the actual code it is just a guess.

Should be easy enough to replicate though. Or if not I am free to test patches in the next week or so.

This might suggest that the TV doesn't support this format of subtitles and we may have to convert on the fly. Have you tried playing this file via usb? That would be a useful test. Thanks.

Unfortunately the way that the Samsung player handles subs is a little different between each model group, so it has been a challenge to get all formats working everywhere.

Apologies if I missed it above, but if you have a file with both an internal mov_text sub and an external sub (that you know works), are you able to select the external sub now? 

Can you please take a snapshot of media info from the bottom of the details page for me?  I have a couple of files with embedded mov_text subs so I'll try and recreate this.  If I can then we should be able to solve it.  Either way we need to find a different way to support them.  

Should make for an interesting script - perhaps publish in the utilities section when it's up and working if you're willing to share it.  :)

Well not really. The script I use for the creation of the media allows me to make lots of assumptions. For example I can assume every movie has 2 subtitle streams (in specific languages), one of the languages is always default, the file is placed in a directory of its own, which is located whitin a parent directory that has all movies I have etc. I will try to wait for a new app for now, since having 4 subtitles streams for each movie (of which they are 2 by 2 identical, but half do not work on the TV) is not ideal, and extracting only the audio and video streams from all media into a new container and then deleting the old one is ... well too much work and time. Not to mention that I will have to change the way my scripts create new media as well :D . However if i am ever forced to do it I will share it, no problem

This might suggest that the TV doesn't support this format of subtitles and we may have to convert on the fly. Have you tried playing this file via usb? That would be a useful test. Thanks.

Will do tomorrow, but I am pretty sure that it will work.

Unfortunately the way that the Samsung player handles subs is a little different between each model group, so it has been a challenge to get all formats working everywhere.

That is too bad.

Apologies if I missed it above, but if you have a file with both an internal mov_text sub and an external sub (that you know works), are you able to select the external sub now?   

Yes, I tested the following:

4 subtitle streams:

-  2 internal streams as MOV_TEXT, with one set as default

- the 2 MOV_TEXT streams ripped as external (one of which with ".forced" suffix), format .srt 

Result:

Neither of the internal subs worked (even though I can select them), either of the external ones did.

Can you please take a snapshot of media info from the bottom of the details page for me?  I have a couple of files with embedded mov_text subs so I'll try and recreate this.  If I can then we should be able to solve it.  Either way we need to find a different way to support them.  

Sure, will do tomorrow.

Edited by slavd

Just tried, same deal, external ones work (if they have the same name as the movie, no lang suffix). Internal ones do not.

Yup. Here it is. Do not know why it does not show the subtitle streams though. You will just have to believe me they are there :D

post-510369-0-33887500-1568101758_thumb.png

FrostByte

Just tried, same deal, external ones work (if they have the same name as the movie, no lang suffix). Internal ones do not.

Yup. Here it is. Do not know why it does not show the subtitle streams though. You will just have to believe me they are there :D

That looks like a screen shot of SFN on the TV.  I believe SamES wanted to see a screen shot of the media info on the server.  Just use a webclient and go to the movies detail page and scroll down to the bottom.

• Like 1

That looks like a screen shot of SFN on the TV. I believe SamES wanted to see a screen shot of the media info on the server. Just use a webclient and go to the movies detail page and scroll down to the bottom.

That is from the web client. Still does not show them, but I can choose freely between the 4 streams in the "CC" section. I can provide a screenshot if needed.

It's all good.  I've got two files with mov_text subs and neither of them are displaying subs.  One did briefly after a minute then stopped, so my conclusion is that we need to convert them as Luke has suggested.

FrostByte

That is from the web client. Still does not show them, but I can choose freely between the 4 streams in the "CC" section. I can provide a screenshot if needed.

Well, it's SFN on the webclient then :)  

The media info is from the details page before you click Play (way down at the bottom)

5d778aec4d360_media.jpg

Edited by FrostByte