Real IP Address for remote Emby connection through Torguard?

tjz827

Hey everyone @,

I initially tried setting up the Torguard VPN to work with Emby server and could never get remote access through the VPN IP and specified port. I did the following:

1. port forwarded through the router

2. cancelled automatic port mapping

3. Setup port 8096 with Torguard and setup my own dedicated IP address with them. 

When i would try and connect remotely to Emby using the VPN IP and specified port I couldn't get a connection.

HOWEVER, just out of curiosity, I typed my REAL IP address and the forwarded port 8096 and it works perfectly. 

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? With the VPN connected, shouldn't my real IP address not be accessible? If I go to whatismyipaddress.com it does in fact show my VPN IP. Am I secure this way if I use my real IP to connect to the server with the VPN on? Hoping someone can shed some light for me.

Thanks!

Happy2Play

Using your real ip bypasses the vpn, your router will always know your true WAN address and you can alway connect directly that way.  VPN will tunnel traffic thru your real ip.  Connecting with real ip connects outside the vpn.

Nope. Followed your instructions verbatim and couldn’t seem to get it connected through the VPN no matter what. My only question was do I need to change the public port setting in Emby to whatever TorGuard gives me? In my case they connected using 1912. When I went to canyouseeme it worked using my VPN IP and that port. However, when I went to connect to Emby with that IP and port it didn’t connect.

Guest asrequested

You don't change anything in the server. Does the dashboard show the TG IP? Once you have it set up, restart the server, and if everything is correct, the dashboard should show the TG IP.