25 replies to this topic

#1 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 AM

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hello, I came here because I have read and asked questions about MPV but I still don't quite get why people use it (Other than HDR tone mapping??).  I would however, like to know more about whether or not it can help me.  I don't have a solid grasp on the common terminality used to describe poor picture properties but I'll do my best to describe what I see.  As I have said before quite a few of the cable channels we watch look pretty crappy.  My main issues are that the picture always looks a little blurry, and some channels start to get blocky.  Faces and skin tone in particular lack detail, the channel logo and text in the bottom right hand corner of the national geographic channel gets blocky or pixelated (Not the channel logo I get from emby but the overlay that is broadcast in the channel itself).  Some channels are broadcast at 720 P while others are 1080i.  

I have seen references to a mpv.conf file that sets the player's upscaling algorithms, and possibly other picture enhancing qualities.  Is there some way that MPV can upscale my resolution to 1080P, and sharpen, and clean up my cable signal in Emby Theater?  Does MPV do anything for users who are still watching 1080 SDR content?  Right now I'm using JRiver Media Center with Mad VR, and it does a great job of this but the channel changes are a little weird, and I would just rather have one media center across each device to make my life that much easier.  Thanks.  

#2 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 AM

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:28 PM

Yes, mpv has scaling algorithms. Which one you choose will depend on whether your GPU is strong enough to support it. As for your live TV blockiness, other things might be involved with that. mpv has many filters and options. What TV tuners are you using?

#3 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'm using hdhr primes. I have an rx580 gpu and a decently strong 6th gen I5 CPU so I can turn things up a little if need be. I believe all of my channels are mpeg2

#4 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

That's similar to mine, but I have an Nvidia GPU. Here's what you can do to test your TV stream directly in mpv. You can just drag n drop the stream link directly into mpv, and it play automatically. If you can't figure out how to do that, I can help you later, when I get home. Then we can go from there.

#5 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

I can drag and drop a URL from my channel lineup page into MPV so I'm ready for what's next. Thanks for the help so far.

#6 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

Try it and see what the picture is like. I'm curious if there's a difference to what you've been seeing.

#7 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Alright, I'll try it out when I get q chance. Everyone is watching TV at the moment and I might lose power later from the storm.

#8 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

And just to add, I upscale to 4k, and I have a great picture.

5d71cdf8c2eeb_Upscale01.jpg

5d71ce10dae31_Upscale02.jpg

#9 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

Alright, so I'm using the National Geographic Channel to start things off because I think its the dirtiest channel I have.  I took these screenshots on my laptop (HP with 7th gen i7) because I have to resize my desktop on my big screen, and I don't want that to be a factor just yet.  The desktop resizing on that PC is a whole other issue.  To get a feel for the changes I would like to make I'm using regular 'ol emby theater desktop (Not UWP).  I also tried comparing standalone MPV to ET MPV, and I could not find a significant difference between the two on NGC but I didn't get to spend a lot of time on it.  

Either way, in the attached screenshots there are some pretty clear artifacts around the white letters on the screen, and its a pretty grainy picture overall.  I also included a shot of the water with what looks like some color banding.  I don't remember seeing any color banding on my big screen but the color space is set differently.  I left every setting on its default other than color space, which I set to PC.  I'll also note that I'm using wifi for these shots. 

Attached File  NGC Halo 2.png   905.53KB   5 downloads

Attached File  NGC Halo.png   1.02MB   5 downloads

Attached File  Stats.png   1.26MB   4 downloads

Attached File  Color Banding.png   570.14KB   5 downloads

Edited by jachin99, 06 September 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#10 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

I'll have to look more closely at home. On my phone I can't see very clearly. I think if you apply an icc and a scaler, you'll see a difference. Contrast will make a difference. Are you using an mpv.conf?

#11 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

The screenshots above show what I see pretty much out of the box.  If you look at NGC Halo2.png, around the letters for National Geographic, you can kind of see what I'm talking about.  There is some blurring around those words.  I turned off hardware acceleration and I think I might have gained a small reduction in artifacts around the lettering.  I haven't messed with any MPV.conf files just yet.  

Edited by jachin99, 06 September 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#12 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

Ok, we'll mess with a few options when I get more time. I don't think your GPU will be enough to use ewa_lanczossharp without dropping frames, but you could try it with d3d11va.

#13 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

@Doofus, thanks for the help.  I have been pretty busy myself but I'll test out whatever you have for me when you have time to share it.  Thanks. 

#14 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Make an mpv.conf and add this line

scale=ewa_lanczossharp

Pull up stats for nerds and see if it's dropping frames.

#15 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

I made the file, as you suggested, and didn't see any dropped frames.  I put this in the mpv folder under appdata/roamin/embytheater, correct?  I also set hardware acceleration to the unset mpv.conf file option.  Overall the PQ looks pretty good but NGC still gets grainy at times.  I also get more fan noise with madvr but with this I'm not.  If everything is working as normal with my configuration file this will be a positive change.  Do you have any other suggestions?  I still don't see quite as much detail in faces compared with madvr but maybe its just me.  I will need to time to do a side by side comparison for things like that.  Thanks again!! 

#16 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

You should set your hardware acceleration to D3D.

#17 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

I'm guessing emby will read MPV.conf regardless of what the he acceleration is or do I NEED d3d. I had it set to d3d 11 before I think. Is that correct

#18 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

If you only want to use the mpv.conf, then will need to add hwdec=d3d11va and selecting unset, but it's the same as just setting D3D. I'd suggest just using the UI setting. I use unset because I use different HWA for different media. You shouldn't need to do that. But you need HWA for the scaler. 

#19 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

You should enable debanding, too. There are depths of debanding you can use, but start with just using deband.

https://mpv.io/manua...#options-deband

#20 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12062 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

So if you want to use your mpv.conf for all settings, choose 'unset' for hardware acceleration and use this config

hwdec=d3d11va
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
deband
deband-iterations=2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users