Apple TV app can't connect to the server

Alexnetx

Alexnetx
Hi Team,

I have the server part deployed on MacOS (10.14.6) and application on Apple TV 4K. I bought Apple TV device a couple of days ago and installed Emby App on it, so I think that is the last version which is currently available in App Store. Apple TV and Server are on the same LAN network, that is a very simple deployment. When I try to connect to the server, App sees the server's account name. At first view, It looks okay, but when I click on account name pictogram the App changes the screen to the same one. I can even return to the previous screen (using the MENU button on the remote). I tried to connect to the server manually by the input the IP address of the server  - I saw the same issue. 

When I launched the server for the first time I used the password on the server's side. When I clicked to the account name on the Apple TV screen, I was asked for the password (expected), and after I input the password I observed the same issue (with the same screen every time as I clicked the server name). After that, I decided to delete the password but it didn't help, and I saw the same problem.

I tried to connect to the server from Android device and I didn't observe any issues with connection or streaming. Looks like the problem on the Apple TV side.

I did a hard reset of Apple TV box but it didn't help :(

Any ideas where the problems can be? 

vdatanet

Hi Team,

I have the server part deployed on MacOS (10.14.6) and application on Apple TV 4K. I bought Apple TV device a couple of days ago and installed Emby App on it, so I think that is the last version which is currently available in App Store. Apple TV and Server are on the same LAN network, that is a very simple deployment. When I try to connect to the server, App sees the server's account name. At first view, It looks okay, but when I click on account name pictogram the App changes the screen to the same one. I can even return to the previous screen (using the MENU button on the remote). I tried to connect to the server manually by the input the IP address of the server  - I saw the same issue. 

When I launched the server for the first time I used the password on the server's side. When I clicked to the account name on the Apple TV screen, I was asked for the password (expected), and after I input the password I observed the same issue (with the same screen every time as I clicked the server name). After that, I decided to delete the password but it didn't help, and I saw the same problem.

I tried to connect to the server from Android device and I didn't observe any issues with connection or streaming. Looks like the problem on the Apple TV side.

I did a hard reset of Apple TV box but it didn't help :(

Any ideas where the problems can be? 

What's your Emby server version?

vdatanet

I have an Emby Server installed on a Macbook Air just for testing purposes, when I'm at home I will try to connect my Apple TV to it. I think I had no problem connecting to the Mac, but tonight I will check it with the latest versions.

vdatanet

As I expected, I had no problem connecting to an Emby server on a Mac from Apple TV, using my test server. Can you post your server log?

Alexnetx

As I expected, I had no problem connecting to an Emby server on a Mac from Apple TV, using my test server. Can you post your server log?

Thanks for your help, Vdatanet.

I'll send the link to the log to you directly.

Edited by Alexnetx

Alexnetx

Looks like the server doesn't give access due to credentials issue. But I didn't set a password for the account:

2019-09-05 17:00:32.019 Error UserManager: Error authenticating with provider Default

*** Error Report ***

Version: 4.2.1.0

Command line: /Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp

Operating system: Unix 18.7.0.0

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: True

Runtime: file:///Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/System.Private.CoreLib.dll

Processor count: 12

Program data path: /Users/username/emby-server

Application directory: /Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS

System.Exception: System.Exception: Invalid username or password

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.DefaultAuthenticationProvider.Authenticate(String username, String password, User resolvedUser)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.AuthenticateWithProvider(IAuthenticationProvider provider, String username, String password, User resolvedUser, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Source: Emby.Server.Implementations

TargetSite: System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Authentication.ProviderAuthenticationResult] Authenticate(System.String, System.String, MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.User)

2019-09-05 17:00:32.021 Info UserManager: Authentication request for alexnetx has succeeded.

2019-09-05 17:00:32.023 Info SessionManager: Creating new access token for user 1

2019-09-05 17:00:32.037 Error HttpServer: Error processing request

*** Error Report ***

Version: 4.2.1.0

Command line: /Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp

Operating system: Unix 18.7.0.0

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: True

Runtime: file:///Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/System.Private.CoreLib.dll

Processor count: 12

Program data path: /Users/username/emby-server

Application directory: /Users/username/Downloads/EmbyServer.app/Contents/MacOS

SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Constraint: NOT NULL constraint failed: Tokens.DeviceName

SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.

at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)

at SQLitePCL.pretty.StatementImpl.MoveNext()

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Security.AuthenticationRepository.Create(AuthenticationInfo info)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.GetAuthorizationToken(User user, String deviceId, String app, String appVersion, String deviceName)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.AuthenticateNewSessionInternal(AuthenticationRequest request, Boolean enforcePassword, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at MediaBrowser.Api.UserService.Post(AuthenticateUserByName request)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 host, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Source: SQLitePCL.pretty

TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCL.sqlite3, Int32)username

Alexnetx
No, I think I don't use Emby Connect because of the server and client on the same LAN. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Emby Connect is the feature which allows to connect to the server via WAN (from remote location), right?

My connectivity process is pretty straightforward: I open the client on Apple TV and on the application screen I see the account name which was set up on the server. Seems the client finds the server automatically on the LAN. Then I click on the account name button and ... nothing, just see the same screen. I tried to input IP address of the server manually  - no difference. 

Edited by Alexnetx

vdatanet

What's your Apple TV host name? Some users have reported problems when it contains non ASCII chars.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Edit, sorry I posted a reply to a wrong post. To many windows open.  :D

Edited by vdatanet

Alexnetx
Thanks, Vdatanet!!! I changed the name to ASCII and it resolved the issue. 

Looks like a bug, but it's rather a cosmetic bug for me. 

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciate it!

• Like 1