1080i mpeg2 videos never start playing

EstebanUno

EstebanUno

Roku streaming stick 3800rw and roku express from 2 years ago; both won't play files longer than 4 hours more or less.

After some more testing, it looks like the fix works for the Roku Premiere using the stable (v 3.0 build 175) and the latest beta. 

The Roku 3 still produces the "Loading..." error that we saw before. So the issue still exists for the Roku 3

EstebanUno

Tried .188. It doesn't play, stalls at about 15%, blinking there for a while, like 30 seconds. What is new is that an error is reported in a red window that says (paraphrased): Playback error: An unexpected problem (not server or http) has been detected. Emby then returns to the screen from which I chose play, rather than freezing.

Activity reported is the same that the Streaming Stick is playing and then has finished playing. The server shows direct playing. Tried the two files I have that are over 4 hours. 1080i 4h 14m. No ffmpeg logs generated.

bizarro252

Weird, that behavior you describe, with the red window error happened to me on .187, but went away and files started working on .188.  Certain that .188 took?  We will see what the devs say I dont think they are done working on this yet :)

EstebanUno

Yes, this AM .188 is displayed on the settings screen. I went ahead and rebooted both the server and the Roku just to be sure everything "took."

How many minutes was the run time and format of the problematic files that are now working with the new version? It may be a function of degree.

bizarro252

Very interesting...

@@EstebanUno and @@ebr

I apparently (of course) randomly chose a test file that just so happened to be the only one of the four I have that is under four hours and sure enough the other three that are over four hours do not work, you might be onto something.

Results:
264min - 4.4 hours - NO PLAY

239min - 3.98 hours - PLAY

245min - 4.08 hours - NO PLAY

254min - 4.23 hours - NO PLAY

On the ones that do not play it loads to ~15%, flashes the loading part a few times (like its trying to fall back or update) then fails back to the previous screen displaying the red error box pictured below:

5da7b6e1251c2_Untitled.png

• 4 weeks later...
EstebanUno

Noticed that 3.0.19.1 plays files that previously wouldn't play. 4 hour + NFL game on  Roku Express 3900X. But not on Roku Streaming stick 3800RW; it still stalls on loading on the same NFL game exactly like bizarro52 described in the previous post.

Don't know if it plays on the Express due to version change because I typically watch NFL games on the streaming stick and hadn't tried one on the Express for a few weeks.

bizarro252

Yes. I tried to play files that did not work in that same timeframe (right after the restart) but I do not believe anything is written to the ffmpeg logs when the files that do not work attempt to play. I do not see timestamps on that log file change until I play a file that works. In the case of these files it seems to be related to time length as the ones that don't play just so happen to be over 4 hours and another person described similar behavior above.

@@ebr has been in my server and played with these files himself as well so tagging him in case he has any other details to tell ya.

Thanks

Edited by bizarro252

For the ones that don't play, do they have .bif files? If yes, try deleting those .bif files and then see if it will play.

bizarro252

Edit: sorry they do not @@Luke I forgot I have moved these files to a different library where I do not have thumbnail generation turned on.

Edited by bizarro252