1080i mpeg2 videos never start playing

EstebanUno

Is hosting the file on a http file server a solution that will work for you to access (to point to it) or would it require a download?  I can try hosting it if that might work?

Any way you feel comfortable sharing with us is perfect. We do not want to burden you. Whatever is easiest for you. Does not matter the complication on our end or what we have to do. Whatever it is easiest for you. Thanks as well. :)

We will solve this issue and it is important as "F" to us. So this will get solved. We are just in the middle of speeding up how rows and images load and that they always load correct aspect ratio. This part involves touching every part of the app. This part is almost finished and we can smash these LiveTV issues out of the app. In fact we can do it at the same time. Eric is on the image. I can hit the LiveTV, but I am in Northern California where the Mendocino Complex fires were. The best I get with ATT is 6Mbit in town. If you file is seriously 25GB in size that would take me considerable time to download. Eric might be able to leech that much faster. You might pm @@ebr and let him know how you want to proceed. Thanks again. :)

bizarro252

Well my hope was that by hosting it you could just point to it and not have to download the whole thing either.  I think I get about 12Mbit up here so it will take forever to upload too... 

I will try some more splitting software, something that just splits and doesnt touch it otherwise, as well as keep trying to record small segments of shows - I have tried today and they all worked, so will try that again tomorrow on NFL to see if they are just more touchy.

Well my hope was that by hosting it you could just point to it and not have to download the whole thing either.  I think I get about 12Mbit up here so it will take forever to upload too... 

I will try some more splitting software, something that just splits and doesnt touch it otherwise, as well as keep trying to record small segments of shows - I have tried today and they all worked, so will try that again tomorrow on NFL to see if they are just more touchy.

That is just it. Splitting software may alter the problem and fix it. MKVToolNix most certainly would if you repack the MKV to MKV. It is likely something in the header. The Roku is super dependent on the header being correct. The Roku has an internal codec detection routine it runs called "Format detected" when playing videos. Until that occurs the file can just hang. During this time the header is read and parsed. Any problem there you just hang. I have experienced this myself. You can also try sending some logs from within the app from some of these failed video play attempts so we can tell if they are having this issue. They never get the "Format detected" received in the app. It hangs before this infinitely until the user backs out.

We do not control the Video Player or the fact "Format detected" must be received before playback begins. Roku 9.2.x firmware may correct this problem? What firmware version is on your Roku presently? They all get 9.2.x this month and might just clear this up too.

Read here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-TV-Media-Player-stopped-working/td-p/507118

( scroll down to my post in that thread. I use the same avatar. We are honestly some of the smartest Roku people in the room without really trying to be. )

@@ebr I will make a thread for us to discuss this. I have clues but no real culprit yet... lol

Firmware 9.2 includes:

Audio/video codec change detection – Developers can now detect when the audio or video codec has changed (for example, the Roku is plugged into a different A/V receiver or TV) and then check the current audio/video playback capability.

What that means primarily is.. they might have fixed the hang. :D

Edited by speechles

bizarro252

Hi speechles,

Ya, I was trying a few different freeware tools to see if any did not mess with it and just split it... so far have tried like 8 different tools and all generate working files (metadata seems to be changing because they show up weird...so it must also be screwing with the file besides splitting it...dont think that is going to work...)

I tried submitting a log from within the Roku app but ebr said it showed no attempt at video playback, so perhaps you are onto something with it dying before it even makes it through the header.

The trouble video will not play on the RokuTV (7104X, TCL 49S403) which shows FW 9.1.0 build 4917-30 - so good news there is its not on the new FW I guess!  I just forced it to check and no update available yet.

This same trouble file does play on a standalone Roku 3 4200X I have lying around on just a standard TV.  I just checked its FW and its 9.1.0 build 4919-04.  It directstreams and plays just fine on that one which makes this more weird to me, perhaps its a clue to you :)

Thank you all for your help diagnosing :)

Hi speechles,

Ya, I was trying a few different freeware tools to see if any did not mess with it and just split it... so far have tried like 8 different tools and all generate working files (metadata seems to be changing because they show up weird...so it must also be screwing with the file besides splitting it...dont think that is going to work...)

I tried submitting a log from within the Roku app but ebr said it showed no attempt at video playback, so perhaps you are onto something with it dying before it even makes it through the header.

The trouble video will not play on the RokuTV (7104X, TCL 49S403) which shows FW 9.1.0 build 4917-30 - so good news there is its not on the new FW I guess!  I just forced it to check and no update available yet.

This same trouble file does play on a standalone Roku 3 4200X I have lying around on just a standard TV.  I just checked its FW and its 9.1.0 build 4919-04.  It directstreams and plays just fine on that one which makes this more weird to me, perhaps its a clue to you :)

Thank you all for your help diagnosing :)

I have the 7130X and am very interested in your file. Same exact firmware. Can you PM me and we can see about how to proceed. No need to keep the noise here if it just me and you. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

EstebanUno

I think the fact that your file plays on a standalone is the exception. I'm using the latest Streaming Stick and a Roku Express from a couple of years ago and the problem manifests on both and is predictable for long files.

As far as getting a problem file to work with, perhaps one of the developers could record a football game on NBC and pad it to extend to 4 1/2 hours or so. That should do it.

bizarro252

Can you please test this with the latest beta?

Of course I do not have any problem video files at the moment, BUT I will check my new recordings as they come in on the release app and target a problem file to test and report back.  Thanks!

bizarro252

@@ebr

OK whew, smarter than I thought, I stashed some problem files in a test folder.

Sadly, same results, PM me a good time for me to open up the server for you to access (or @speechles) and I can do so.

Thanks

@@ebr

OK whew, smarter than I thought, I stashed some problem files in a test folder.

Sadly, same results, PM me a good time for me to open up the server for you to access (or @speechles) and I can do so.

Thanks

Whenever you are ready. Just give me a PM when you are ready to investigate. I am up for the challenge with fresh electricity. :)

Edited by speechles

EstebanUno

4.3.0.12 = same unfortunate result when playing. One is 1080p mpgeg2 4h 14m, NFL game on NBC. Other one is 720p mpeg2 4h 29m, NFL game on Fox. Both report Direct Playing on the server dashboard. Can't stop hang up by pressing stop from dashboard; have to stop Emby on Roku by pressing home on the remote. Server reports files finished playing. No ffmpeg logs generated.

4.3.0.12 = same unfortunate result when playing. One is 1080p mpgeg2 4h 14m, NFL game on NBC. Other one is 720p mpeg2 4h 29m, NFL game on Fox. Both report Direct Playing on the server dashboard. Can't stop hang up by pressing stop from dashboard; have to stop Emby on Roku by pressing home on the remote. Server reports files finished playing. No ffmpeg logs generated.

Hi.  We're testing beta versions of the Roku app, not the server for this.  Are you running the beta of the app?

EstebanUno

Hi.  We're testing beta versions of the Roku app, not the server for this.  Are you running the beta of the app?

Well no. So I just added the beta channel 3.0.186. Same result.

I will open the port back up this evening and PM you and ebr. I added accounts for both of you

Thanks!

Have time tonight to get this problem solved. Don't forget. Just friendly reminder. :)

I feel confident to say we fixed it. Thank you for access to your server. It will be in the very next Beta. Thank you for your patience. This fixes all problems with 1080i/720p material on Roku. This should properly fallback to full transcode when required without the user having to do anything. Just press play. Your media your way. Thanks again and apologies for the temporary interruption.

Edited by speechles

I feel confident to say we fixed it. Thank you for access to your server. It will be in the very next Beta. Thank you for your patience. This fixes all problems with 1080i material on Roku. This should properly fallback to full transcode when required without the user having to do anything. Just press play. Your media your way. Thanks again and apologies for the temporary interruption.

You the man! Cant wait to test

You the man! Cant wait to test

This was a regression done at some point.

No need to know when or why. We move forward not backwards. It was likely something I did as I maintain that section.

Feel free to type: /me slaps speechles

Edited by speechles