Android 10 Live Playback

dhunterjacobs

dhunterjacobs

Hi - Android 10 released today. There's a bug in the emby app. Live TV viewing crashes the System UI when live TV is played.

Not sure if you are already aware of the issue but I figured I give you a heads up.

I'm running Android 10 on a Pixel 3. Build number is QP1A.190711.020. Emby app version is 3.0.76.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

speedingcheetah

Just noticed this. For me, when I go to play Live TV, the screen just locks....it too fast to see if there is crash or error.

I unlock it and it right back to the playing screen of the channel. It is paused, I un pause, the screen locks again.

Local media files playback is fine it appears.

Pixel 3

Odd thing....cause I did test Emby last month on the Q beta 5 on a Pixel 3a and it worked fine then....

Edited by speedingcheetah

dhunterjacobs

Yup same here. The screen locks. However one time I tried it like 6 times in a row and caught the System UI crash message just before the screen locked. Hopefully it's a easy fix. :-)

speedingcheetah

I see an update for the app popped up today....did not fix Live TV issue. 3.0.78

HDHOMERUN Prime

Also...the new GUI controls during playback...it way too big on the screen. needs to be ~30% smaller.

speedingcheetah

It might be local to the phone model, because my Pixel XL 2 plays ok

friend has a Pixel 2 non xl.....issue not fixed for her.

Guest asrequested

friend has a Pixel 2 non xl.....issue not fixed for her.

Again, it might be model specific. I don't know what would be different between XL and standard, but it's working just fine, for me.

Well, that kills my theory. My work phone is Pixel XL 3, and that worked ok, too.

speedingcheetah

Again, it might be model specific. I don't know what would be different between XL and standard, but it's working just fine, for me.

Well, that kills my theory. My work phone is Pixel XL 3, and that worked ok, too.

Different screen resolutions?

DO you have Dark Mode and the Full Gesture navigation modes enabled?

speedingcheetah

Issue probably IS a conflict with.....Gesture Navigation.

I change back to 2- Button....Live TV plays back fine.

Gesture, ...crash.

Hope Emby can be fixed soon. I really like the full gesture control....and u get tiny bit more screen space.

Guest asrequested

Different screen resolutions?

DO you have Dark Mode and the Full Gesture navigation modes enabled?

I have both phones in dark mode. The work phone is new, I haven't done anything with the gesture settings

speedingcheetah

I have both phones in dark mode. The work phone is new, I haven't done anything with the gesture settings

CHeck my last post...and try enabling the gesture control mode...see if yours then starts to crash again,

Guest asrequested

CHeck my last post...and try enabling the gesture control mode...see if yours then starts to crash again,

Still works with gesture on.... What's your source?

speedingcheetah

Still works with gesture on.... What's your source?

Live TV...via HDhomerun Prime....

I have toggled gesture on and off 4 times. same results every time.

dont matter is channel opened is SD or HD.

Guest asrequested

Live TV...via HDhomerun Prime....

I have toggled gesture on and off 4 times. same results every time.

dont matter is channel opened is SD or HD.

I have Primes, too. It's an odd one....

speedingcheetah

I have Primes, too. It's an odd one....

would the tuner firmware or the CATV source be a possible difference?  maybe in the data format/codec of the channels from provider.

I have Xfinity and  Model: HDHR3-CC

Firmware: 20190621

Guest asrequested

would the tuner firmware or the CATV source be a possible difference?  maybe in the data format/codec of the channels from provider.

I have Xfinity and  Model: HDHR3-CC

Firmware: 20190621

Yup! Same provider and firmware. It has to be something on the phones that you all have in common.

speedingcheetah

The official HDHR app plays the channels fine.

I don't have much on my phone at all...unlike my friend when i briefly had her phone to do a quick test at dinner....she has hundreds of apps and things..many things running....lol.

And the only thing that has changed on both phones...is the update to 10. 10.0.0 (QP1A.190711.020, Sep 2019)

speedingcheetah

Maybe a setting, not an app? 

Like what setting? the only thing i find that affects this issue (so far), is changing the Navigation system in system settings.

Guest asrequested

Like what setting? the only thing i find that affects this issue (so far), is changing the Navigation system in system settings.

Maybe gestures in combination with another option? I just tested with my beta server and it still played...

dhunterjacobs

It would be hard to hunt down a setting that's messing things up. The main thing that changed on my phone is the OS. Was on Android 9, live playback worked fine. Updated to 10, playback crashes.

The update to 10 wasn't a factory fresh start or anything. All apps and settings carried over with the update.

Android 9 and 10 are different animals so there must be something in 10 screwing with the live playback. I also have full gesture navigation enabled.

speedingcheetah

Clearly the issue began and is related to Android 10 compatibility...and it is not just my self having this issue as a couple other posts indicate.

I also have had a few other apps start to crash or spit various error.

I had flashed the Q beta 5 to a Pixel 3a a couple months ago and basically "cloned" my Pixel 3, my daily phone, to the 3a by installing all the same apps on to it etc.

I reported several apps that did not work or misbehaved in the beta.

I only had the phone for about 2 weeks.

Emby did not have any issues then, but beta 5 was followed by beta 6, then final release....which I never had chance to test on.

Only 1 other app, File Manager, by Asus is crashing on me now on 10....been reported, but app dev not respond.

10 is indeed very different and a major change. It is a preliminary start to the change happening in 11 where all non system apps will be sandboxed with no direct access to phones actual file system....so I have read.

Emby crashes on a clean/reset/default device as well, so it is not likely to be a user carried over setting.

Not sure if the Emby Server version has any play in this...doubt it, but for more info, my server is 4.2.1.0 running on Linux Mint 19.2.