External subtitles ANSI

EduardoSantos
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Taiwan

Hello, I've same problem here. ANSI subtitles are not displaying correctly on Web player and over DLNA also. Using ver. 3.0.5912.0

5707aa70640c6_screenEmby.png

anderbytes

English subtitles doesn't have accented chars, so it's no priority.

We that are outside US have to keep bugging the devs so they can understand how important this is for us.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

The image above wouldn't be ANSI... The Question mark symbol is used by web browsers when they encounter an unknown symbol. That means the character is outside the character set they are told to work with. In this case, it is most likely a UTF-8 character outside the 256 character spectrum of ANSI. What you really need to ask for is better UTF-8 support on the subtitles. This could be converting it to the ANSI equivalent if possible or an entity character sequence (for HTML-based apps). Though, full UTF-8 support would be more beneficial over time.

Hello, I've same problem here. ANSI subtitles are not displaying correctly on Web player and over DLNA also. Using ver. 3.0.5912.0

5707aa70640c6_screenEmby.png

Please provide a sample file.

• 5 months later...

Same problem here... can't you make a default enconding like some software to UTF-8? I won't be changing the enconding manually for each srt file I have, neither the name to *.por.srt for every single one.

Portuguese sub are *.pt.srt and brazilian as *.por.srt

Kodi treats the subtitles as they should automatically..

Yes, sorry! portuguese is pt or pt-pt

any development on this matter?

Hi, can you please describe your issue? Thanks !

Hello,

The issue is when I put to play a file with subtitles (external in srt) it doesn't show the characters like "ã, é, à"... etc..

Kodi has no problem playing them. If I change in notepad++ the encoding to UTF-8 it plays nice, the problem is that I will not do that to every single file in my library because it defeats the purpose of the media player with no hassles.

Can't you implement an auto recognition? or manual, like selecting the UTF-8 in the options menu for character encoding? Renaming subs or changing the encoding in Notepad++ is not a hassle free option.

Thank you.

Edited by rbanaco
  • Like 1

anderbytes

Hello,

The issue is when I put to play a file with subtitles (external in srt) it doesn't show the characters like "ã, é, à"... etc..

Kodi has no problem playing them. If I change in notepad++ the encoding to UTF-8 it plays nice, the problem is that I will not do that to every single file in my library because it defeats the purpose of the media player with no hassles.

Can't you implement an auto recognition? or manual, like selecting the UTF-8 in the options menu for character encoding? Renaming subs or changing the encoding in Notepad++ is not a hassle free option.

Thank you.

AFAIK, @@Luke is working on it  -->  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23624-subtitle-problem-for-accented-characters/page-4

anderbytes

What OS are you running on?

If the question was for me --> Running Emby Official Docker image in Docker in a Debian 7 Host (O.M.V. v2 NAS)

anderbytes

If it was for me, emby is running in a jail of Freenas 9.10.1 .

You forgot to say that FreeNAS 9 runs under FreeBSD 9.

Altough I rarely stream content I would like to know why this also happens to me?

I mean, Im portuguese, ANSI subs and yes, streaming places "?" on special characters like OP.

If I change the sub encode to UTF-8 all this goes away. But im not interested for several reasons.

Even more funny, as you can check here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39130-playback-subtitles-weird-display/?p=366770 other people even tested the subs I sent and reported back no problems whatsoever

The EMBY server is installed on a synology 1813+ machine. Even from my windows PC streaming via server the same error occurs....

Edited by djhifi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
anderbytes

I have already given server logs, client logs, screenshots, SRT samples... I don't know what else to do.

See the difference:

- Live TV - usually for American users that receive TV via cable -> gets a lot of attention, fixes and updates

- Subtitles - for non-English users -> sometimes gets attention, fixes and updates

I can't explain myself better than that.

I've already gave up submitting issues related to Subtitles downloaded via Emby. I just ignore that Emby can do that, and use Subliminal to download them myself.

Not even my suggestion of Emby using Subliminal was heard in the past.

• 2 years later...

Addic7ed is now in the Emby plugin catalog. You'll need to configure your Addic7ed credentials in the plugin configuration. Enjoy.