Media Browser For NAS

breezytm

im85288

I have just moved all my data from PC to a new Synology DS415 Play NAS. This is my first post as a long time member and I would love to see mediabrowser show my library instead of the preinstalled Synology video station. If I can ask, what time frame are we looking at for a NAS version?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick query as I do the same as you (i.e. have all my data on a Synology) but then use a PC to run the MediaBrowser Server with it mapped to the synology drives (so in other words do not need to use synology video station). Personally I think this works best as it keeps the NAS doing what it was designed to do (i.e. Network Attached Storage) and not trying to convert it into a server (due to lack of processing power). So I would advise to go that route if you can. 

• Like 1

billysnap

The DS415play is designed to be a media server and also has a 3rd party media server package on it from Plex that is similar to Media Browser in library presentation but I have to pay to install full working copy to all my devices. I have already donated to Media Browser and various plugins over the years, therefore more than happy to wait until Media Browser is available for the NAS. The whole idea of this NAS is low running costs verses PC running 24/7.....

We can now watch a movie or view photos direct from the nas via the Sony Bravia, Android tablet/phones and iPad and remotely via the internet if away from home. The library presentation via the synology video station on all devices are OK, but I found the Plex limited trial to be even better and this is where the Media Browser will be more superior also.

Edited by billysnap

im85288

I also ran the Plex Media Server on my Synology NAS and yes it worked well but I found it very slow and struggled with transcoding etc when trying to play things remotely. Anyway I am sure a MB3 version will come out sooner or later.

Whilst waiting I had a look at the specs for your synology:

Hardware Specifications CPU CPU Model Intel Atom CPU Frequency Dual Core 1.6 GHz

You may want to look at a post I made here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1667-install-mb3-server-on-nas/?p=117930 to see if your spec does what you require. 

Cheers

Darkjeje

Sorry for my english, I'm french,... :(

I am very interested in the installation of MB Server on the Synology DS214Play !!!
Synology DS214Play and DS415Play are Hardware Transcoding Engine (H.264 (AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-2, VC-1).

It is possible to use this for transcoding ?

I would like to stock my video on DS214Play with MB3 serveur, choose my video to be looked by means of my smartphone and look at the video on my TV by means of my raspberry pi.
I shall like no more having my computer switched on H24 7d/7,...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

by the way, if either of you guys want to do some coding, when you first setup the library we're not able to pull the list of network shares that are available. these methods need to be implemented:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/blob/master/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono/Networking/NetworkManager.cs

that's one class for all the versions that use mono - linux, osx, bsd, etc. so if you guys can implement it for bsd i can handle the platform separation.

billysnap

by the way, if either of you guys want to do some coding, when you first setup the library we're not able to pull the list of network shares that are available. these methods need to be implemented:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/blob/master/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono/Networking/NetworkManager.cs

that's one class for all the versions that use mono - linux, osx, bsd, etc. so if you guys can implement it for bsd i can handle the platform separation.

Hi Luke,

I have the Synology DS415Play ad it has it's own operating system and in this you can bring in apps .i.e. Plex, or use their own Video Station. Eventually I am hoping we can install Media browser, is this where you are heading here with coding? If so I have never coded, but is there some way I can help here? I am more than happy to put in some time if it can help you guys out.

Edited by billysnap
  • Like 1

breezytm

I

I asked Santa for a readyNAS version

Even though I am a vegetarian, I can't help but to hope for a mediabrowser qnap honey glazed turkey for thanksgiving. 

• 2 weeks later...
breezytm

I changed the hardware on my htpc and the for the life of me I could never get Playready to update and at this point I am tired. I am going to reinstall windows from scratch and I must say it sucks. I'll be out of MB until it is available for my nas. I knew installing any server on my workstation was a bad idea. 

Edited by breezytm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
breezytm

I did. This is a forum in the world wide web. 

Edited by breezytm

With this server release we've done the work to clear the way to run on nas devices. GDI is gone and we've adopted the ultra-friendly ImageMagick. Now we just need a couple community members to step up and volunteer to build packages for their devices.