5.1 FLAC files not playing in 5.1

Shkrmaker

vdatanet

So, I’m curious, which platform has the best Emby support?

Android TV, particularly the Nvidia Shield device.

infomas

Thanks. Not sure they support AT&T TV, so I continue to be out of luck when it comes to putting everything in one place. 

sfatula

Well, as I have mentioned, I have many movies (not music) with flac 5.1 and 7.1 audio and they play just fine As multichannel audio in Emby. So, it is possible.

infomas

You can’t compare audio only to movies. They use different media players and ATV makes audio players harder to deal with. Plex is building their own audio player to resolve this.

sfatula

I understand that. My point is the platform is capable of doing so. Nothing more. It appeared to me some were saying it was not possible.

sfatula

Another way to handle it is to ffmpeg the music file with a still image (in Emby server) and play result as a video instead of audio. In that way, you use the video player. Not hard to do ffmpeg wise, but, likely a problem for Emby server coding. Just saying. Possibly less coding than a new music player.

infomas

Another way to handle it is to ffmpeg the music file with a still image (in Emby server) and play result as a video instead of audio. In that way, you use the video player. Not hard to do ffmpeg wise, but, likely a problem for Emby server coding. Just saying. Possibly less coding than a new music player.

I can just imagine how painful that would be when playing an album. Gapless audio is high on my requirements list. I would think that the delay between songs/movies would be horrible. I have seen that idea mentioned a few times. I just don't think I would be satisfied. Right now, I am using JRiver streaming off of a computer to play my music through the home theater system. It is something that only I can do at home and it just isn't as convenient as having it all on one platform. If JRiver would make an App, I would go that route without hesitating. But I appreciate your concern. :-) Thanks!

• Like 1

sfatula

I wouldn't expect much delay at all myself, but not gapless.

Infuse has turned into a wonderful Emby client, but sadly has not tackled music, so not an all in one either.

If you had an IOS device, easy to airplay music. But you may not and I suspect you do not.

Obviously you could convert your audio into something other than flac, but, that's a hassle (but could be scripted) and you may prefer flac for some reason. Alac worked for me as part of video and is lossless but don't know if it plays in audio player, would think so.

Any way you cut it, you have a problem at present. That's too bad.

But can't Mrmc play the audio too? It can play most things, though I find it clunky. I keep holding onto it but I really dislike the interface, have never tested it's music capability.

Barring that, out of luck for now. I am sure you've gone through all the workarounds. Just posting more for anyone else who may read and might accept some workaround.

infomas

I appreciate all the time you're taking for me and anyone else who looks. The problem isn't FLAC per se. It is multi channel audio files. I had, at one time, converted everything to Apple Lossless. At the time, it was the only way to get multi channel on Apple TV. Then support for FLAC came and I switched. I believe, but haven't tested in a while, Apple Lossless doesn't work either now. I should probably give that another shot, just for laughs. If I need to play music on the ATV, I can now go with VLC. It's just a crappy interface for music. I've been looking all over and it appears that nothing plays multi channel music on the ATV with any type of interface that comes close to either Emby or Plex. I have linked my Emby/Plex server to my home theater system and that allows me to run JRiver. They have a fun interface for music and they sound great and they play gapless audio. They have everything...except an app. So, I have to leave the ATV and go to another port on my receiver (not a big deal since everything is running with Alexa and Harmony Hub). Still, having to deal with a computer on your TV screen instead of an app means that you have to deal with all the possible interruptions from Anti-Virus and other apps. Pain in the butt. Wow, these are such 1st world problems and really meaningless when compared to what is going on these days. But then, I'm stuck at home all day so... :-) 

sfatula

If you don't, I will test with alac when I get home from trip. And even flac just to verify.

sfatula

I'll let you know how it goes for me in a couple days, still on a trip.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

I tested tvos 13.4.6, and, Emby Server 4.4.2.0, Emby App version 1.4.6 (1). Like you, I thought I used to play multichannel music files. Maybe not. Definitely stereo as you said more than once.

It does work with MrMc though.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

Are you sure MrMC will play multi channel on the ATV? If so, I'll give it a try. 

Worked for me. Whether or not it has all the other features you want... No idea as I don't use it for music. But, I did load up a test 7.1 file (m4a) and it did play. Don't recall if I tried flac ro not. You can (probably still) get the free version and just try and file. It used to limit you to 10 files, more than enough for testing. For my test, I could not get it to work via Emby connection, and had to resort to smb connection to the music files. 

My test file has one speaker at a time on it, so, easy to tell it's working. Also, I can see 7.1 input on the AV receiver. 

Let me note that there is a choice within MrMc as to which player to use for music. I picked the one named dvdplayer, which is the one that plays music multichannel. I know it sounds like a video player, maybe they used a video player to implement their music playing. I believe there is a setting to set the default, and, you can hold on a music file to change it for just that file. 

Edited by sfatula

infomas

So, MrMC doesn't appear to play FLAC files, at least the free version doesn't. Honestly, I think I have to stop looking for awhile. VLC will play the files.The interface is so-so and it isn't gapless, but I'll just have to live with that for now. If I'm in a serious listening mood, I'll turn off the ATV and switch to JRiver, where I get great sound and gapless audio. Somebody yell if Emby gets around to fixing this.