"Download & Convert" running ffmpeg constantly?

honorkell

honorkell

Hello,

I recently bought premiere and suddenly Emby is running ffmpeg in the background at nearly 100% CPU, nearly constantly, even with no one accessing the server.  For now, I disabled Download & Convert, and things returned to normal.  I guess I have a few questions:

1) What exactly does "Download & Convert" do?  What's it for?

2) Why was it running in the background?

3) Was it converting and replacing my library to be stream friendly?  My whole library?  That would take forever, are the old files deleted as they are converted to save space?

4) I have a GTX 950 - why wasn't that being utilized? HW encoding is enabled and recognized.

5) Can I just leave download & convert off?

Thank you very much if someone takes the time to answer some of this for me.

Hi, this allows you to download your media to other devices, as well as convert your media into more streaming friendly formats.

The only reason you are seeing this activity is because you or another user on your server created download or conversion jobs. The feature does not do anything by itself. 

honorkell

Thank you for the response.

There was no one on the server but me at the time, and I don't recall running any conversion jobs.  There is a "convert media" in the scheduled tasks that may have been running.  So can I enable Download and Convert if I disable the convert media task?  Also, where can i find settings related to this convert media task?  Does it delete the original files?  How do I choose the convert options?  Also, why isn't it using my GPU?

There is a "convert media" in the scheduled tasks that may have been running. 

Hi, yes, but it doesn't do anything if you don't create any conversion or download jobs.

So can I enable Download and Convert if I disable the convert media task?

You really shouldn't disable the tasks. If you forget that you did this, later when you try to use the feature you may end up thinking that it doesn't work. So we should probably just not allow you to do this.

Instead, if you don't want it to do anything, then just don't use the feature. Does this help? You can see all of the jobs you've created in the Download & Sync section of the server dashboard.

Does it delete the original files? 

When you create the conversion job, you get an option for this.

Did you locate the jobs you've created? My guess is you created one on a parent folder and as a result it's processing anything new that's added to that folder. 

For the next release of the server we'll be improving the user interface for managing these and putting the conversion jobs in their own separate section rather than lumping them in with the download jobs.

Also, why isn't it using my GPU?

Can we look at an example? Can you attach the ffmpeg log from the conversion?