Trakt Plugin - Pausing Movie/Show confuses Trakt

jasonmcroy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jasonmcroy

I have noticed this occurrence in the past but I keep forgetting to post about it. It may be related to some other posts I have read regarding resume states with the plugin.

So, if I am watching a movie or tv show, there is a real time playback bar that will appear on the trakt website if I open it while playback is occurring. I have noticed that if I pause what I am watching or stop it in Emby, that real time playback bar will disappear on the Trakt website. When I go back and either restart playback or unpause, the bar on the Trakt website will basically reset and show playback as if the movie or show is starting from the beginning. 

Once I am done watching whatever it is, it will still marked the item as watched on Trakt, but it seems like odd behavior for the real time reporting to Trakt to be off.

I tested this in that other server software out there just to check out this and the Trakt plugin over there acts normal when stopping or pausing a show/movie. In other words, if I stop playback and later restart playback, the real time bar on the Trakt website shows the correct playback from where I was before stopping/pausing instead of starting back at the beginning again.

So, this leads me to believe it has something to do with the Resume state reporting from Emby's plugin.

jasonmcroy

Ok.

Playing the movie Godzilla: King of Monsters from my tablet. I can open my browser on my laptop and go to the Trakt.tv website. On the main page I see a playback bar showing my progress which is being sent via the Trakt plugin in Emby.

Here is a screenshot showing progress at 6%:

Now, I stop playback of the movie. I go and do something else and come back. I open the tablet back up and resume playback of Godzilla: King of Monsters. Now I open the Track.tv website again on my laptop and the playback progress bar is now acting like I am watching the same movie but from the beginning. 

Here is a new screenshot (you can't see the actual % number as it's off the screen but you can see the darker part of the progress bar is shorter):

post-106-0-86096300-1567290724_thumb.jpg

It will do this any time you stop a movie and then resume playback. So, that tells me that Emby isn't using the resume feature of the Trakt API or something. If I do this same test in Kodi with their Trakt plugin or via Plex with the 3rd party plugin over there I don't see this same behavior. If I were to stop Godzilla and then come back and restart it later, that same progress bar shown above will reflect the progress bar correctly.

If it helps, here are my logs as well:

embyserver.txt

I'm having the same problem. The difference is that when the episode I'm watching on Emby ends, it's not getting marked as watched on Trakt.

2019-09-13 02:11:47.773 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Emby Theater 3.0.9 playing Strategy. Stopped at 0 ms
2019-09-13 02:11:47.776 Info Trakt: Playback Stopped
2019-09-13 02:11:47.776 Info Trakt: Item Not fully played. Tell trakt.tv we are no longer watching but don't scrobble

Emby Server: 4.2.1.0

Trakt: 3.3.5.0

embyserver.txt

Edited by azeos

• 1 month later...

I'm still getting the "Item Not fully played" message even when I watch an episode from beginning to end without pausing it.

Anything I can try?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Nick Rosier

I've also experienced that the Trakt plugin has odd behaviour compared to e.g. the Kodi add-on.

2 really annoying "bugs":

• Start a movie/episode but quit after a couple of seconds: movie/episode is marked as Unwatched. What is even worse: all previous plays of that file on trakt have been erased
  • Watch an episode of a show and stop mid-show. Half the time the episode remains as Unwatched, progress is not saved.

I've also experienced that the Trakt plugin has odd behaviour compared to e.g. the Kodi add-on.

• Start a movie/episode but quit after a couple of seconds: movie/episode is marked as Unwatched. What is even worse: all previous plays of that file on trakt have been erased
  • Watch an episode of a show and stop mid-show. Half the time the episode remains as Unwatched, progress is not saved.

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please see how to report a problem. Thanks !

jasonmcroy

Is this plugin even still being worked on for improvements? I haven't seen any updates in a while and to be honest I have been using other solutions for watching media that has better Trakt integration. 

I know this is something maintained by a community member and not the Devs but I would like to know if I should just move on or not at this point. 

paulsalter

I reported that issue in July

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75751-trakt-history-being-removed-multiple-plays/

• 3 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

I have updated to the next Trakt version and now I am seeing 3 different "plays" in the recently watched section on the Trakt website. 

Here is what seems to be happening. I start a show, let's say, Star Trek Discovery. At some point I stop watching while it's not completed. When I come back to continue watching Emby reports it as playing from the beginning rather than it's resume point. This is the same behavior I had before but now it seems like it is reporting each stop and restart as a new entry to Trakt as if the whole show is being watched again from beginning to end. 

After doing the above test I ended up with 3 "plays" on that episode where I stopped watching 3 different times and restarted it.

jasonmcroy

I am totally sure what you mean, but if you mean how many plays it should only show one play and not until it is actually fully played.

jasonmcroy

Well, I would restart the show from where I was last watching, not restarting from the beginning.

Nick Rosier

Even though you played it partially three different times?

Default behaviour in the Kodi version afaik is to save the progress in Trakt on stop. Progress is synced periodically during playback. On pause progress is also paused in Trakt. Once 90% played and stopped (configurable iirc) it is marked as played.

Plays in Trakt are finished plays. This is I think how most people using Trakt want it.

• Like 1

Default behaviour in the Kodi version afaik is to save the progress in Trakt on stop. Progress is synced periodically during playback. On pause progress is also paused in Trakt. Once 90% played and stopped (configurable iirc) it is marked as played.

Plays in Trakt are finished plays. This is I think how most people using Trakt want it.

That's great info. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Ok this is a core problem that will be resolved with the next release of the server. thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

@@Luke - it does look like with the latest server release the issue I was running into seems resolved now. I've only had time to test a couple of video files but if I pause or even stop the movie at say 18% and then resume it later trakt does show it at 18% as well instead of trakt showing playback has started at the beginning. 

Thanks!