Series episode wrongly set as played in special cases

sephrat

sephrat

I have two issues that may be related to a common bug. Something definitely seems wrong when you play several episodes of a series in a row. The issue occurs with Shield TV client and Ubuntu server.

Issue #1: Episode set as watched when I barely started watching it

1. Watch an episode of a series
  2. Start watching the next episode just before the playback of the first episode stops and you go back to the menu (I tried with the "next" button, probably works with the automatic "next episode" feature as well)
  3. Stop the playback of the second episode right after it started playing.
  4. The second episode is now marked as "played" although I barely started watching it.

I can't reproduce the issue through the web app or Android mobile.

Issue #2: Episode 1 set as watched twice and episode 2 not watched in Trakt (scrobble feature).

I've been having this issue for a while but couldn't find the exact steps to reproduce it. Now I got it.

I've noticed through Trakt plugin that when I play 2 episodes in a row, the first one is set as watched twice but the next one is not watched at all. The full Trakt sync will fix the second episode status but will not record a second play in case the episose was already watched.

I can't provide the logs at the moment but I think the steps are quite easy to reproduce. I should have more time next weekend to track the issue down.

Edited by sephrat

• 4 weeks later...

This happened again several times while binge watching and I had to manually look back at what episodes I missed. So I went on my bug hunt and managed to reproduce the issue and extract the log.

I watched "La Dream Team" (say episode 1), and the next episode will be "La nouvelle société de Michael" (say episode 2) (sic, encoding issue in the log :) ).

2019-09-21 09:58:00.268 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 1.7.43g playing La Dream Team. Started at 0 ms

I fast-forwarded to the end of the episode for the testing, a few seconds later the episode is about to stop. I chose to play the next episode - episode 2 -  through the OSD. 

2019-09-21 09:58:58.380 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app AndroidTv 1.7.43g playing La nouvelle société de Michael. Stopped at 1241395 ms
2019-09-21 09:58:58.381 Info Trakt: Playback Stopped
2019-09-21 09:58:58.381 Info Trakt: Item is played. Scrobble

Wrong! I actually stopped playing "La Dream Team" (episode 1), not the next episode. Now I guess we report to Trakt that we watched episode 2 instead of episode 1.

2019-09-21 09:58:58.469 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 1.7.43g playing La nouvelle société de Michael. Started at 0 ms
2019-09-21 09:58:58.470 Info Trakt: Playback Started 

I imagine that if I stop my binge watching on this second episode, Trakt will get notified of a second watch (the proper one), thus explaining the second issue I described in my OP. 

As a side note, for a split second I can see on the OSD between the time I press the "Now" button and the time the OSD disappears that the "next up" episode title changed from that of episode 2 to episode 3 (!), and the countdown timer ("Starts in ...") increased to the length of episode 2 (so 21:30 instead of 00:30). The OSD should disappear before the display is updated with the new "next up" episode.

I think I found the cause of this.  You can test it with the next beta of the app if you wish.

Thanks for the report.

sephrat

I think I found the cause of this.  You can test it with the next beta of the app if you wish.

Thanks! Just to be sure, in what version is it fixed on Android TV and Fire TV (I use both)?

Edit: nevermind, found where the release notes are hidden: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

Edited by sephrat

• 2 weeks later...