Books

rechigo

rechigo

Is there any way to actually "Play" (read) books? I don't see any play option. I have my library type set to books and I've tried it on android and Emby Theater

Not yet. It's hard for us to find a lot of time to spend on books but hopefully in the future. thanks.

rechigo

I think most people would be satisfied as long as it works on apple + android + winphone. There isn't really a need for other platforms.

Dickydodah!

On Windows there is a sort  of work around. If you choose download and then Open With instead of Save File you can choose your ebook reader. Not ideal and may not work on other devices.

Dibbes

On Windows there is a sort  of work around. If you choose download and then Open With instead of Save File you can choose your ebook reader. Not ideal and may not work on other devices.

won't work on iOS... the whole OS is so locked down, there's hardly anything you can do...

rechigo

I see you could do this, but It's just a waste of time from my point of view as you aren't able to save your position, you'd be better off just saving it in Google drive and viewing it there as I believe it has a viewer which can display EBook files

Dibbes

I see you could do this, but It's just a waste of time from my point of view as you aren't able to save your position, you'd be better off just saving it in Google drive and viewing it there as I believe it has a viewer which can display EBook files

There are a lot of apps that use Google drive for exactly that, including a few cross-OS ones... It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to have one server for all your media though... A server for ebooks, another for photos, something else again for audiobooks, then there are still comics and Of course the emby server for the rest. That's 5 different servers... Not everyone has the capacity for that...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
JasonNalley

Yep, eBooks, Comics, eZines, would all be nice to have.  I have a ridiculously large collection of these, and would love to use Emby to read them and have proper metadata support for them.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
HanzoX7

I would like to raise my hand on this one. It would be very nice to have e-reader support in Emby. I couldn't figure how to make Calibre Web work with my AS5002T and Ubooquity seems to be a little too light in terms of metadata management. Mostly interested in having comic book support, for what it's worth.

rechigo
25 minutes ago, HanzoX7 said:

I would like to raise my hand on this one. It would be very nice to have e-reader support in Emby. I couldn't figure how to make Calibre Web work with my AS5002T and Ubooquity seems to be a little too light in terms of metadata management. Mostly interested in having comic book support, for what it's worth.

Fwiw I've been told the Jellyfin server now has ebook support, I was thinking of giving it a go just for the ebook support. I'm not sure how good metadata support is since I haven't tried it myself yet.

HanzoX7
59 minutes ago, rechigo said:

Fwiw I've been told the Jellyfin server now has ebook support, I was thinking of giving it a go just for the ebook support. I'm not sure how good metadata support is since I haven't tried it myself yet.

I just checked out their demo @ https://demo.jellyfin.org/stable and it looks very similar to Emby. Turns out it's a fork of Emby. I'll play with it for a bit and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

JellyFin for the most part is like using Emby from 3 years ago or a few major versions behind with the client support that Emby has.
They have improved some areas but overall the first comment is pretty accurate.

• 3 months later...
kandiman
13 hours ago, Xen0sys said:

Perhaps at least adding an easy open to link for another local reader app to use?

That would be great and would like to see this happen, on iPad it should be fairly easy tap on the book to open it up in Apple Books? 

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to be able to read my books/mags on my iPad/iPhone even if they have to be downloaded through Emby first. You can read PDF formatted files if you open up Emby using Safari, but its messy and Safari is not my preferred reading app. Be nice if you could Share/Download your book to Apple Books library which supports both PDF and MOBI via the Emby mobile app.

15 hours ago, Mick_K said:

I would just like to be able to read my books/mags on my iPad/iPhone even if they have to be downloaded through Emby first. You can read PDF formatted files if you open up Emby using Safari, but its messy and Safari is not my preferred reading app. Be nice if you could Share/Download your book to Apple Books library which supports both PDF and MOBI via the Emby mobile app.

Hi, yes, more book features are coming in future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1