Roku playback issues with blu ray rips

grazza2a

grazza2a

I'm encountering an intermittent issue with playback of blu-ray rips via a Roku Premiere Plus. Blu Rays are ripped as MKV files. My settings are set (hopefully) to playback without transcoding but note that Emby is direct streaming. Playback starts fine but after about 5 to 10 minutes, playback stops and a "loading" bar is displayed. Playback eventually resumes but this will happen again repeatedly throughout the movie or TV programme. There is no timed interval between the time it plays and then needs to re-load - it appears to be adhoc. Looking at the server dashboard at the same time, I can see that re-muxing appears to work fine and I understand why that's happening but I can't see what would trigger the need to re-load. The Roku uses a wired Ethernet connection.

I've only started to notice this over the past month or so and prior to this, blu-ray rips played fine. I'm running 4.2.1.0 of the server and the official release of Emby for Roku.

I've attached latest log files. Looking at the Emby Server log file,I can see other issues with chapter image extraction - any guidance on what these are would also be appreciated. I have a number of related audio files stored in the same place as the video files and wonder if Emby is trying to do something with these that are hogging resources? It's a long shot...

Just to note that playing the same files via a Chromecast over wifi works without issue even though I suspect system resources are working harder to convert on the fly - so, I'm struggling to to see why a wired Roku has issues...

Any help gratefully appreciated and thanks in advance,

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-aa8e297f-35bc-494b-b8da-966742c58bb8_1.txt

Edited by grazza2a

Hi.  That is indicating some delay in delivering the content to the player.  Looks like this is VC1 at ~31Mb/s?

Although it looks like your server is transcoding it fast enough, that bitrate may just be a little too high for the player to process.

Which model of premiere plus is this? There are two versions: 4630 or 3921?

Curious. A betting man says it is the 4630, but it could be the newer and smaller 3921 that is underpowered?

Let us know which model number. Thanks. :)

( side note.. I may get me one of those problem premiere+ models.. please let me know which you have. thanks again )

grazza2a

Hi and thanks both for the replies. The Roku is a 4630X.

It is curious because prior to a month and half ago, I didn't encounter this. So, could this be down to Roku firmware?

Thanks again.

Its possible - or network condition changes.

What happens if you set the in-app bitrate to 20Mb?

Try moving it all the way down to 1mb/s and see if that plays smoothly (although poor quality).  Then start moving it up and see where you start to encounter the problem.

Thanks.

Hi again, and thanks for taking the time to look into this. Playback set in the Roku app to 20 mb results in the same loading screening quite early on. I've attached the logs and hope they help.

image.png

Are you using windows? Can you disable "large send offload" for ipv4 and "large send offload v2" for both ipv4 and ipv6. These settings do not play nice with Roku as it will cause a burst and that burst is what slows down Roku. It goes over the bitrate for just a bit and Roku goes haywire. This may solve your problem. I have always had these 3 things disabled and never had a problem since on my Roku. Give it a try.

also.. on the other side of the fence.. see here. They suggest same thing. ^_^

Edited by speechles

grazza2a

Hi Speechles - I only have Large Send Offload v2 IPv4 and IPv6) both were already disabled - thanks for looking though.

I seem to get stable playback at 8 to 10 mbs. I would normally live with that. However, I have a number of blu-rays that have interlaced content (Classic Doctor Who etc.) and the on the fly conversion renders them with a filmic look - hence why I had set the settings to max for 1080p content - so that they would direct play / stream.

Given that the problem is  recent - could a faulty router cause a bottle neck? I'm just trying to look a little further if all things are appearing to work as expected.

Again, many thanks.

@@grazza2a a faulty router could cause the bottleneck. Is your Roku premiere+ acting strange with other Roku channels? There is a possible fix. Roku fiddled with the network speeds during some of their firmware updates. It is possible your Roku wasn't able to apply the networking patches during the firmware update process. There are other people with the same issue who then factory reset their respective problem Roku to fix it. When that Roku rebuilds back to its recovery image, starts the update process again it will refetch all your apps. This process may fix it as it rebuilds from pure not through patches. You will lose all your registry on that Roku when you do this. All login/passwords on every app on that Roku will need to be done again. It is worth the effort as this may solve the issue for you. Either way if it does or doesn't please let us know. Apologies for the issue and wish we knew more to solve this. The last suggestion is always perform a factory reset and cross your fingers. Mine are crossed for you. ^_^

Edited by speechles

bitrate: 39526 kb/s

That should not choke out the premier. But it could be all the subtitles inside. There are literally dozens in your file.

Can you try using MKVToolNix GUI and REMUX that file? Copy all the video/audio streams but drop all those subtitle streams out. Use external srt for better results. ^_~

Then click the START REMUX button and it should be pretty quick to finish copying everything into a new MKV.

Once that is done add that to Emby as a version for that file so you can select it from the version drop down.

You must scan library with Emby before this version will populate possibly.

Once the scan is done go to the same file and choose the version without subtitle you just put there and go to direct play at 80MB/s.

Make sure to set quality/bitrate to 80MB/s prior to playing. 

It might direct play this way and it is the multiple subtitles dragging everything into chaos. Please try this too and let us know. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

grazza2a

Should have tried this first - I've performed a factory reset on the Roku - and so far, Emby is now playing all files without a glitch. Thanks again Speechles for persevering with this - it's very much appreciated. 

Should have tried this first - I've performed a factory reset on the Roku - and so far, Emby is now playing all files without a glitch. Thanks again Speechles for persevering with this - it's very much appreciated. 

Knowing is "half the battle" like GI JOE cartoons tell children. The child always does something really dangerous or outlandish and a JOE team member calmly explains why they shouldn't do that and the consequence. Then the child always announces "Now I know" and the JOE member says "..and knowing is half the battle". What that really means is you cannot know that would fix it until you try. I have never experienced the issue but I do know that others solved it with factory reset. Hopefully now you shine the light when others have issues to remind them to factory reset.

Some people fear a factory reset may destroy their Roku and break it forever. It drives fear. No way I am doing a factory reset that could brick my Roku.. And you must be the person to stop the fear and tell them it won't. Let it finish just wait and be patient. It will work. Dont go its not working during a black screen and unplug it and try again. That will brick it. Be patient and let nature run its course. Ask if you don't know directions. It is better to say something and be known as stupid than to say nothing and be assumed an idiot. So you must be human and I applaud you. I love human traits and even code them into what I make. Humans forget and have to be reminded. Humans aren't perfect 100% of the time.

Thanks for coming back to let us know the issue has disappeared mysteriously like a UFO in the night sky. Aliens. Blame aliens.

Edited by speechles

Interesting, thanks for the feedback !