Problem with Movies on Extender After Update

ab123ga

ab123ga

After what appears to be an automatic update, I now am having issues with viewing my media on my extenders. Prior to this update, I could play my movies on my xboxs /w no issue. Now when I hit play I get this error: "Cannot Access Media. Will Attempt to Stream. Use UNC Path or Path Substitution...".  I am paraphrasing the message because it goes so fast that I had to run 4-5 movies to get parts of the message. 

I have been using path substitution for quite some time so unsure why this is an error now. 

Server Version 3.0.5264.17006

Server and Classic logs for today located at https://app.box.com/s/soevfeyipdbph1imnf2w

Thanks in advance, 

That's always been there it just isn't visible for very long and may not be visible at all depending on how you play the item.  I suspect your path substitutions have never been working for your 360 and it has always been streaming/transcoding.

The problem is more than likely permissions.  When running an extender session you are actually running under a hidden user account on the WMC host machine.  This account has a password that you cannot know so your media shares cannot require authentication.  You have to make them accessible to "Everyone".

ab123ga

I have my shares accessible to everyone. I implemented the path substitution after doing some reading and seeing that this is a method to fix the quality issue I was having. This has been working fine for 3 weeks or so. All of a sudden this morning, it is no longer working. I've changed nothing between yesterday and today. However, the web client is quite different from yesterday. 

muppen

Yeah, same issue here with latest server beta and mbc. It's not a permission issue, I described it more in a comment to the announcement for the latest beta release.

Don't report issues in comments on the blog.  Likely no one will see them.

Can one of you provide an MBC log please?

The path substitution is either not setup properly or not working.  It is trying to access a local drive letter from your server.

Unable to access T:\Media\2D Movies\Footloose (1984)\Footloose (1984).mp4.  Will try to stream.

I suggest defining the library with UNC paths.

ab123ga

I will set up a few movies in a new folder using UNC path and see what happens. I do not want to re-do all the work I've done...that was working prior to the latest update. Will provide feedback and latest logs.

it might be due to path substitution not working in the beta. it will be fixed when the beta goes to stable release sometime this week. if you need an immediate solution, revert to the stable release from the website.