Trailers (and other channels) in clients

yardameus

yardameus

I was just wondering how the trailers and other channels are going to be handled in MBC and MBT.  I know the new server just came out, so I figured it'll take some time.  I figured the trailers menu in MBC would disappear, since they are now a channel.  Looking forward to all the options that have been presented, and all the possibilities for the future.

I'm really not sure yet as far as MBC is concerned.

Personally, I think moving Trailers under a sub-heading of "Channels" is somewhat arbitrary and not logical from a user's standpoint.  Technically, okay they are implemented in a different way now but, logically, they are still just another set of content that you are used to being able to access from the top level menu.

Some items (like true internet channels) maybe make sense logically grouped together under a folder named "Channels" but I'm not sure trailers does.  Same thing with Podcasts - maybe yes, maybe no - I'm really not sure.

Bottom line - I want the organization to make sense to the user regardless of the underlying technical implementation and I haven't figured out yet exactly how to do that.  Plus, I actually have to re-write how these things are accessed now that they are technically different.

Before the current server goes to release level, there will be a trailers plug-in that still shows as a normal media folder so we have a little time to figure this all out.

• Like 2

CBers

I'd like to see a fully functioning Trailers plugin/channel restored to all of the clients.

Doesn't currently work in any client, other than the web client and you can't cast to Chromecast from my mobile chrome (as far as I know).

Edit: OK, seems to work in Android app and I can use PlayTo to play directly from chrome mobile to my TV.

Edited by CBers

Trailers will be back as a folder, albeit temporarily until enough clients have supported channels. I think for MBC you could just display them alongside the library rather then putting them in a channel folder. That will keep it consistent with what mbc users are accustomed to.

Redshirt

I've got Channel support in the Android client currently. I'm just trying to resolve why some media plays and some doesn't. It looks like Twitch may not like being transcoded by the server.

yardameus

Sounds good to me.  About what I figured was the case.  Maybe once there are more channels the clients could have a settings in channels that you can decide if you want them showing (similar to trailers) in the home screen.  I'd think a channels sub-folder would do the trick most of the time though.