How to update Emby version in Linux?

boggle247
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

boggle247

Running Debian Stretch (do I need Buster before I upgrade Emby?). How do i update the emby server instance? 

I've looked all over this forum and in the wiki and I see nothing (except below) that talks about how to upgrade/update. 

Is it:

apt-get install --only-upgrade mediabrowser

?? I read this in another post in the forum.

also, any known issues with this upgrade that I should be aware of?

Edited by boggle247

Hi, what version are you currently running? Nowadays with our newer packages you simply install the latest on top of your existing version.

• Solution

Ok so you just update by installing the latest version the same way you installed 4.0.2. Does that make sense?

• 1 month later...

I am running an old version (Version 3.2.70.0) of emby server on debian 8.

Can I just install the latest version on top without loosing my configuration and libraries?

If not- is there a list of files and dir's that I can manually backup and restore? I searched, but could not find anything. (I prefer manual backup over the backup plugin)

When I do "apt-get install --only-upgrade emby-server" it tells me that the server is already the latest version. I guess my sources seem to be old.

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

For a version that old you might consider a fresh install. Otherwise I would suggest updating to 4.0 first, and then 4.2 after that.

Thanks Luke. I have put a lot of time into my libraries and would hate to lose all that data.

My problem is the following: I do not know which files and directories to save and then restore in order to keep my library and configuration. The directory structure seems to be a little different in the newer versions.

• 1 month later...

I am still running an old emby server version (3.2.70.0) on debian. It works very well for me.

Now after updating my ios client (ios and emby app) the client tells me that I need to update the server before I can continue to use the use the client.

But I can not find any step-by-step instructions on how to update the server from 3.2.70.0 to the newest version or at least how to save my library and settings and user accounts etc.

I have put a lot of time into creating the library. This is very frustrating.

Can anyone help?

Edited by acnp77

@acpn77, coming from such an old version you're probably not going to have a perfect upgrade, so we should probably up front and honest about that. First things first, the server log will print out the program data path near the top of the log file. I would suggest making a full backup of that directory in case you run into a problem.

Are you able to do that? Also do you have the emby server backup plugin installed? 

And also would you be willing to retain only users and then otherwise make a fresh start with 4.x?

@@Luke, Thank you for you input. I found the program data path in the log and made a backup. I also have the backup plugin installed. But I do not get a 100% correct result.

I run emby server on a virtual machine (vmware esxi host on a hp proliant server) so I will keep my old installation and and setup a complete new emby server in parallel. Once everything is ok I will make the switch. I figure this is the best way.

Thereafter I will try to keep up with the updates to avoid the same problem again.

Only issue: I have 4 users that use emby-kodi clients. I do not know if I will have to reconfigure and re-sync these or not. But I will find out...

Unless you have a better idea?

Cheers

I am sorry, just one last question.

I think (because I put so much time into the library) it might be a good idea to just update step-by-step until I reach the newest version.

Do you think I could get a clean upgrade like this?

Are these resources still available (all versions from 3.2.70.0 to the newest)? I searched but could not find them.

Thanks

Edited by acnp77

Thank you so much for your support Luke. I have been familiar with Linux for a long time, but now I feel that I am not anymore familiar with recent technologies.

I am used to using "/etc/apt/sources.list.d" and then using apt-get install to install the emby server. But that does not seem to work anymore...

Right, we don't use the opensuse repository anymore. The packages are just downloadable files. We may at some point setup a repository for them, but we haven't gotten there yet.

I have a general question:

I was happy with my old emby server installation. The only reason I have to upgrade now is that the latest IOS and IOS-emby-app force me to upgrade. They do not allow me to connect otherwise.

Why is this so? The maintenance work is becoming a little too much lately.

Thanks

We do support running the apps with older versions of the server, but only up to a point.

We generally try to set the line at supporting older versions that are you to a year old. Any more than that and it just becomes unrealistic in terms of the amount of testing and development required.

In some cases it might require us to build entire features in multiple different ways just to accommodate older versions. At some point we have to look at the cost of that and make difficult decisions about whether that's feasible or not.

Thanks for asking. Yes, I just finished a complete new installation of emby-server on debian 10.

There is still a lot to configure, but the basic system is up. I am a bit confused though. With the old version I had to install many dependencies and other stuff like ffmpeg, mono etc. Now I just installed one file, it took like 2 minutes and that's it.

Seems great! Thanks!

I am running new the server in parallel with the old one until everything is setup.

QUESTIONS:

- can I use my premiere key on both servers until I delete the old one?

- Does transcoding still depend on ffmpeg?

CHEERS

Edited by acnp77

Thanks for the feedback! The answers are yes and no. Ffmpeg is still used but it's embedded in the install package so that you don't have to worry about installing it.

• Like 1