A Little Clarification Please

mrfaulk

mrfaulk

- when the css code is entered and saved in the "custom css" box, what file is actually changed/edited? in other words, in what file does the css code reside?

- when making these changes, is the emby theater app also changed, or is it only the web app?

- what is the best. most efficient way to see these changes on the fly?

thanks!

Happy2Play

- when the css code is entered and saved in the "custom css" box, what file is actually changed/edited? in other words, in what file does the css code reside?

- when making these changes, is the emby theater app also changed, or is it only the web app?

- what is the best. most efficient way to see these changes on the fly?

thanks!

No things is actually changed, the custom css is just loaded before the actual code.  OS file locations will vary but it is the branding.xml in "Emby-Server\programdata\config" folder.

Custom CSS only affects the local web client/app, no other client or online app (app.emby.media).

I usually find and modify the elements via the browser console before applying them to the css box.

mrfaulk

No things is actually changed, the custom css is just loaded before the actual code.  OS file locations will vary but it is the branding.xml in "Emby-Server\programdata\config" folder.

guess i wasn't clear, wanted to know what file changed once the css code was saved (in settings), i.e. what file the code was saved to, and the answer seems to be the branding.xml file, it's updated when the custom code is edited/saved... i find it easier to just open the file and edit it vs using the box, that's why i wanted to know where and what the file was, i was looking for a css file not an xml file.

Custom CSS only affects the local web client/app, no other client or online app (app.emby.media).

so to be clear, the emby theater desktop app (for windows) won't be effected by any of these custom css edits? if that's the case is there any advantage to using the desktop app vs the local web client in terms of local video streaming (ripped dvds) performance? i'm assuming the web app uses a different video player than the desktop app (mpv)?

I usually find and modify the elements via the browser console before applying them to the css box.

yes, that would be the way to go - but once you enter code into the box and save it, what's the best way to see the effects? do you have to clear the browser cache after every change? restart the emby server? or is there a quicker / easier way to see the changes while testing?

thanks!

Happy2Play

guess i wasn't clear, wanted to know what file changed once the css code was saved (in settings), i.e. what file the code was saved to, and the answer seems to be the branding.xml file, it's updated when the custom code is edited/saved... i find it easier to just open the file and edit it vs using the box, that's why i wanted to know where and what the file was, i was looking for a css file not an xml file.

so to be clear, the emby theater desktop app (for windows) won't be effected by any of these custom css edits? if that's the case is there any advantage to using the desktop app vs the local web client in terms of local video streaming (ripped dvds) performance? i'm assuming the web app uses a different video player than the desktop app (mpv)?

yes, that would be the way to go - but once you enter code into the box and save it, what's the best way to see the effects? do you have to clear the browser cache after every change? restart the emby server? or is there a quicker / easier way to see the changes while testing?

thanks!

Editing branding.xml directly is a pain as it will not update in real time and requires a server restart to reload it.  Where hitting save in the UI auto reloads it.

Correct only the local web client is affected by custom css.  As for playback every client will be different as they have different capabilities, like the web client is limited to what a browser can play.  Desktop Theater will be the most versatile.

Once you hit save the browser automatically refreshes.  So I have one tab open to Setting page and another on example page, hit save on settings and manually refresh example page to see changes. 

mrfaulk

Editing branding.xml directly is a pain as it will not update in real time and requires a server restart to reload it.  Where hitting save in the UI auto reloads it.

Correct only the local web client is affected by custom css.  As for playback every client will be different as they have different capabilities, like the web client is limited to what a browser can play.  Desktop Theater will be the most versatile.

Once you hit save the browser automatically refreshes.  So I have one tab open to Setting page and another on example page, hit save on settings and manually refresh example page to see changes. 

excellent, thanks very much! i'd love to use the local web client if i could get quality 4k hdr and audio pass through for locally stored movie files, is that a possibility?

regarding the the emby theater desktop app for windows, it would be great if there was a stylesheet reference link in an index, home, header, etc. html file (such as <link href="{config/custom.css" rel="stylesheet">) that would allow us to easily apply custom css to the desktop template without touching core css files.

mrfaulk

are you saying that when you enter code into the custom css box and then hit save, your changes are visible in the web client upon refreshing / reloading the tab? this isn't working for me.

Happy2Play

are you saying that when you enter code into the custom css box and then hit save, your changes are visible in the web client upon refreshing / reloading the tab? this isn't working for me.

How about an example of what your are entering in the box.  Only time I have seen custom css not work is when not connected via LAN/WAN/DDNS address or when there is broke code within the custom css box.

mrfaulk

How about an example of what your are entering in the box.  Only time I have seen custom css not work is when not connected via LAN/WAN/DDNS address or when there is broke code within the custom css box.

i've  just been grabbing code from the "web app css" threads to test... so, for example, here's a look at the code i saved in the css box, plus a look at the branding.xml file after the save (i.e. the updated branding.xml file), yet the web app does not reflect these edits, not in chrome or firefox, despite refreshing/reloading the page, despite clearing the cache...

z01.jpg

PenkethBoy

Try something simple that i know works

/* ----- Section Title Font Adjustments ----*/
.sectionTitle h1, h2 {
    color: #4285F4 !important; 
}

will be obvious if it works - should be no need to do a refresh a simple save will work

and can you copy the css in to a post so i dont have to type it myself - i suspect its an old set of css which now does not work in the latest version of emby as things change a lot and its a constant game of "whack a mole"

Edited by PenkethBoy

Happy2Play

i've  just been grabbing code from the "web app css" threads to test... so, for example, here's a look at the code i saved in the css box, plus a look at the branding.xml file after the save (i.e. the updated branding.xml file), yet the web app does not reflect these edits, not in chrome or firefox, despite refreshing/reloading the page, despite clearing the cache...

z01.jpg

The code came from here "https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76049-transparent-menu-bar-and-round-cast/",I had no issue copy and pasting it in 4.2.1.0 and hitting save and navigating to home screen to see the changes.

How are you connecting to your server?

mrfaulk

The code came from here "https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76049-transparent-menu-bar-and-round-cast/",I had no issue copy and pasting it in 4.2.1.0 and hitting save and navigating to home screen to see the changes.

How are you connecting to your server?

yeah, not sure what's going on, i mean i have some experience with html/css, this custom css isn't complicated stuff, as a matter of fact it couldn't be more straightforward, but it's not working for me...  as far as how i'm connected to the my server, hard-wired lan, no prob loading folders/files to the server...

PenkethBoy

yep works for me as well

is this a app.emby.media thing - i could be wrong but i thought css did not work with that option

Happy2Play

yeah, not sure what's going on, i mean i have some experience with html/css, this custom css isn't complicated stuff, as a matter of fact it couldn't be more straightforward, but it's not working for me...  as far as how i'm connected to the my server, hard-wired lan, no prob loading folders/files to the server...

So you are connecting via localhost:8096 or LANIP:8096 or hostname:8096, correct?

Happy2Play

was connecting as follows:

http://app.emby.media/#!/dashboard.html

changed to:

http://192.168.0.10:8096/web/index.html#!/dashboard.html

and now it works, go figure!

Right the online app does not uses your local code, don't really know how the proxy works displaying all your user settings and libraries but is unable to present your custom css.

mrfaulk

So you are connecting via localhost:8096 or LANIP:8096 or hostname:8096, correct?

Right the online app does not uses your local code, don't really know how the proxy works displaying all your user settings and libraries but is unable to present your custom css.

moreover i don't recall being given an option of how to connect, just followed the emby connection wizard (iirc) and it connected to the server using "http://app.emby.media/#!/".... anyway, the web app feels a lot more snappy using an ip connection...

so are you able to play hdr movies using the web app without having the player transcode? when i try to play hdr files the stats for nerds shows "play method: transcode" and "reason for transcoding: video codec not supported, audio codec not supported".

Happy2Play

moreover i don't recall being given an option of how to connect, just followed the emby connection wizard (iirc) and it connected to the server using "http://app.emby.media/#!/".... anyway, the web app feels a lot more snappy using an ip connection...

so are you able to play hdr movies using the web app without having the player transcode? when i try to play hdr files the stats for nerds shows "play method: transcode" and "reason for transcoding: video codec not supported, audio codec not supported".

Well browsers currently don't really support hevc.  Edge does assuming your hardware supports it, and I believe you have to purchase the hevc extension from the MS store (but don't quote me on that).

You can go to http://html5test.com/ to see what your browser currently does support.