How to Configure NextPVR Plugin in Emby?

dtcpro

I have the latest Emby server installed on my Android Nvidia Shield. I decided to install NextPvr Plugin. I have stopped and rebooted the server as directed. I see very little settings or configurations for the NPVR. I thought I would have the abilitiy to select a source and epg guide file within the NPVR.

The only configuration setting I see from server dashboard is this:

need NextPVR backend url ....without any instructions I have no idea what/where this is

and then a space for a 4 digit NextPvr backend access Pin Number ????????????????

Are there any instructions on settings etc... for this plugin working with emby somewhere on this site.
Have not had any luck at plugin forum either.

Appreciate any help.

Steve

arrbee99

Nextpvr is a program for playing live tv, so you need the NextPVR program installed but unfortunately its a Windows only program (for now). If you have a Windows machine available you could install it on there, get it running, assuming you have a tuner and then use the plugin in Emby to allow the NextPVR program to communicate with Emby.

Are you using a tuner or using iptv ?

Nextpvr is a program for playing live tv, so you need the NextPVR program installed but unfortunately its a Windows only program (for now). If you have a Windows machine available you could install it on there, get it running, assuming you have a tuner and then use the plugin in Emby to allow the NextPVR program to communicate with Emby.

Both. I have a Nvidia Shield with external storage. The shield is also my emby server. And I have a couple of firesticks around the house. I have an HDHomerun Quatro for OTA signals. The HDHomerun sends out my ota signals wirelessly to my Nividia Shield and my Firesticks. I also have their DVR service. This is fine for the few ota stations I receive.

In addition I have IPTV service that also supplies M3U file and EPG file. I watch using their built in player, but the recording system of that service is lame and does not allow scheduling or series recording. 

I brought in Emby so I could schedule Recordings from the IPTV service within Emby.

Emby has my HDHomerun as a TV source and also my IPTV Tuner as a tv source. Emby imports all the iptv channels, but have no descriptions or guide data (only channel icon) and No option to record (only play) when a channel is selected. I see no option to add the IPTV EPG file when setting iptv as tv source. No data or description so I'm assuming no record option for that reason. My other source from HDHomerun is fine with recording using Emby Guide data.

This is why I added the NextPVR plugin thinking it would give me the ability to add my iptv epg and give me the option to record iptv.

Well don't say Emby can do that and just leave....HOW? LOL...Mr. Luke that is great to hear. So how do I get my IPTV EPG file into Emby? I already have my guide provider as Emby for the OTA channels I get with HDHomerun.

Is there another place I can insert the IPTV EPG? Also do I need to uninstall NextPvr?

Thanks

arrbee99

If you have a iptv source you should be able to add that under Live TV.

Add as m3u source

5d5b009cd52de_EmbyAddTVsource.jpg

and add a file or url (personally I leave the rest blank)

5d5b00fa07e6a_EmbyAddTVsource1.jpg

Add a guide

5d5b01a705bed_EmbyAddTVguide1.jpg

Add as xmltv

5d5b01374f8f0_EmbyAddTVguide.jpg

Next step add actual guide to top box

5d5b01c144300_EmbyAddTVguide2.jpg

Hopefully that'll work.

Yes, remove NextPVR.

Sorry, bit of s rush, taking midget to school...

• Like 1

Hey Arrbee99.... I had just figured that out and in the process of rebooting my servers. The only thing I didn't see was un-installing the plugin...I went in to my plugins, but did not see an obvious uninstall button...I'll keep looking.

Man I appreciate the GREAT DETAIL of your reply. Thanks so much !!!!

arrbee99

Hey Arrbee99.... I had just figured that out and in the process of rebooting my servers. The only thing I didn't see was un-installing the plugin...I went in to my plugins, but did not see an obvious uninstall button...I'll keep looking.

Man I appreciate the GREAT DETAIL of your reply. Thanks so much !!!!

If you hover over the plugin it should come up with one of those three dot thingies and clicking gives a choice of Settings or Uninstall.

• Like 1

arrbee99

:)

I hope I'm not being rude or interfering but the devs would like to hear what you have to say.

For instance, did you spot the wiki on setting up live tv, if you did was it confusing somewhere, were any instructions in the wrong order, any weird terminology used, un-intuitive process to the setup.....

If you hover over the plugin it should come up with one of those three dot thingies and clicking gives a choice of Settings or Uninstall.

Well....the guide data still does not show up in Emby. I tested the XML TV epg online and the info is there, but does not show up in emby. When I map it in Emby the data is there on the mapping screen (it's around 2500 channels)... I was careful to save, shut down and restart the server. I told it to apply to all servers. I have refreshed the guide data.

Should I remove the Emby Guide I use for the HDHomerun and just have the XML epg by itself?

Kind of stuck now.

BTW is there away just to restart the server without shutting it down completely just like you do with a computer?

Thanks

arrbee99

The button on the far right of the gold coin token thing is the Shutdown or Restart as required button.

5d5b38d86f77f_Embyrestartbutton.jpg

Not sure about the guide. Might be worth telling it to do a guide update even though it should be automatic, its under Scheduled Tasks. Might also be a time thing, 2500 channels is a lot to update.

I hope I'm not being rude or interfering but the devs would like to hear what you have to say.

For instance, did you spot the wiki on setting up live tv, if you did was it confusing somewhere, were any instructions in the wrong order, any weird terminology used, un-intuitive process to the setup.....

I will get back to you on that....this all new to me, I finally did remember to check out the wiki and I did notice a couple of things were dated (edited) 5 or 6 years ago. Which don't make it bad if it still works. I just can't remember at this time my thoughts on the process. I've been trying all day to get this to work to no avail so a little frustrated. I do know this...the graphics I got from you are really helpful. They may have been in the wiki I don't know....I was just in a hurry.

arrbee99

If I'd been trying all day I think I'd be a lot frustrated  :)

Again, not an expert, bear that in mind, I do talk rubbish with complete conviction sometimes, but anyway, generally Emby works well but I don't think its really set up yet for thousands of channels. Normally if you get the channels and the guide from the same provider it should be OK and Emby should match each channel to its guide info. If not you have to map each channel to its guide entry manually. Don't know if thats necessary for you or if you've tried that already.

I have an old picture which looks something like this (though as mentioned, I do my far more limited iptv stuff in NextPVR)...

5d5b3de9cb4fd_Embychannelmapping.jpg

Obviously you don't want to that for all those channels if you can avoid it.

It might be worth trying if possible with a subset of your channels, if there's any way to pick out a few, like say 20, but am not sure how to do that.

Again, just guessing, maybe its busy in the background updating the guide (if you're lucky).

• Like 1

Yes I used that button....only offers shutdown. I was just thinking maybe shutting down may lose some changes that you made, but I guess not if restart is not offered. Thanks

The button on the far right of the gold coin token thing is the Shutdown or Restart as required button.

5d5b38d86f77f_Embyrestartbutton.jpg

Not sure about the guide. Might be worth telling it to do a guide update even though it should be automatic, its under Scheduled Tasks. Might also be a time thing, 2500 channels is a lot to update.

If I'd been trying all day I think I'd be a lot frustrated  :)

Again, not an expert, bear that in mind, I do talk rubbish with complete conviction sometimes, but anyway, generally Emby works well but I don't think its really set up yet for thousands of channels. Normally if you get the channels and the guide from the same provider it should be OK and Emby should match each channel to its guide info. If not you have to map each channel to its guide entry manually. Don't know if thats necessary for you or if you've tried that already.

I have an old picture which looks something like this (though as mentioned, I do my far more limited iptv stuff in NextPVR)...

5d5b3de9cb4fd_Embychannelmapping.jpg

Obviously you don't want to that for all those channels if you can avoid it.

It might be worth trying if possible with a subset of your channels, if there's any way to pick out a few, like say 20, but am not sure how to do that.

Again, just guessing, maybe its busy in the background updating the guide (if you're lucky).

Yeah, I'll probably try something else as opposed to mapping each channel...I went in there and just clicked on Map my channels but that is all I did.

BTW do you use NextPVR? If Emby does not work with my setup would NPVR possibly work? Do you have to uninstall Emby DVR some kind of way before using it? I think I read that in another thread. It appears from what I'm seeing is that some are pro NPVR and some are not. Why is it available in Plugins if not good to use? I have an old windows laptop I think I'm going to install emby and try different configurations with IPTV only no HDHomerun...I can always watch that on it's own platform...Thanks

P.S I going to wait overnight to see if that guide populates in my current setup.

Edited by dtcpro

Interesting. I get both

5d5b784442095_Embyrestartbutton1.jpg

must be a Shield thing. Oh well, who knew...

Hmmm....well I'm editing my server on my shield from my Macbook Pro....only shows Shutdown??????

We haven't added restart from the web interface yet on the Shield. You can just shutdown and then start back up manually.

• Like 1

emveepee

NextPVR v5 beta is pretty solid on other platforms, like linux, macos, docker now so it is mainly feature enhancements before the release.  I am testing the HDPVR and analog on linux right now and it is super.

Users would have to install the Emby beta plugin manually too, but that is only because I haven't had time or desire to figure out that next stage of packing it for release.

Martin

• Like 1

Okay thanks for all the help you guys....Up and running!!! Since I was having problems getting my Nvidia Shield to accept the XML EPG I decided to get out my old Windows laptop and install an Emby server. I did and the IPTV M3U and EPG worked fine on server on Windows 10. So I knew the files were good.

Now back to the Shield server with no guide showing up. I tried a couple more things. I removed the Emby Guide I was using for my HDHomerun tv source on the same server. Still didn't help. Now I decided to remove HDHomerun as a tuner on the same server. Rebooting after each change....nothing....my IPTV even though I was refreshing and let it sit overnight still would not show up on my Shield server.

I decided to uninstall my Emby Server completely from the Nvidia Shield.

I reinstalled everything and the EPG is on there working. Took about 2 hours I think for the guide to populate.

So I have not decided whether to reinstall my HDHomerun and the Emby guide back on that same server, but I probably will just to see if the two tuners (M3U & HDHomerun ) can live together. And more importantly can my IPTV EPG and Emby Guide will work together.

From success springs a NEW HURDLE. I have discovered TV Guide Channel management is impossible with 2500 channels with no way to categorize etc... with current tools that I am aware of.  Unless there has been a new development I was looking around on the forum and ran into several post where people have the same issue with no apparent fix or work around in sight. So far on my Emby journey I have missed a lot of Fixes and Tools hidden in plain sight that thanks to others and mods on this site I was made aware of. It would be great if that were the case in this instance...so speak up if it is...please.

I am very pleased with Emby at this time except for the Guide management thing. I have no plans to try Plex or others at this time unless I can be shown that they are hands down better than Emby and then I might give it a try....

We plan to improve our channel management features in future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1