[FR] Add a chapter skip / visual seeking slider with images

FrostByte

DarkFireEmby
On 29/01/2021 at 15:38, Luke said:

Hopefully soon.

When is hopefully soon 🤷‍♂️ which i have read to many times of this feature coming.. we are getting tired of waiting since @FrostByte asked for this back in June 2019

Just be honest with your users and let us know where we stand on having this basic feature added.. this should of been implemented from the start 🤦‍♂️

I also dont understand that... I asked for this around 10 times and always getting the same answer "hopefully soon"...

On LG TV's you can fast foreward for a long time now and on Samsung nothing works...

6 hours ago, flyload said:

On LG TV's you can fast foreward for a long time now and on Samsung nothing works..

But on LG you can only do this using the pointer on a Magic remote, which Samsung doesn't support.  If you were restricted to the same navigation methods as Samsung, you would have the same issue on LG.

It is definitely a feature that is needed, and as Luke has claimed it is coming, but it isn't a minor change if it is done properly.

• Like 1

FrostByte
14 hours ago, SamES said:

But on LG you can only do this using the pointer on a Magic remote, which Samsung doesn't support.  If you were restricted to the same navigation methods as Samsung, you would have the same issue on LG.

It is definitely a feature that is needed, and as Luke has claimed it is coming, but it isn't a minor change if it is done properly.

If it's that hard why not give us at least the chapter skip part back until the timeline slider which uses the bifs/thumbs can be implemented?  The code is already written

We already had chapter skip in this app about 3 years ago until it was taken away and replaced with a skip to next video option (not that I use that very often when watching movies). 

Just assign chapter skip to which ever key you plan on using for the rest (I assume the up arrow like ATV and the other apps use since both down and up arrow do the same thing) temporarily  until you get the bif thing working

• Like 1

rbjtech
6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If it's that hard why not give us at least the chapter skip part back until the timeline slider which uses the bifs/thumbs can be implemented?  The code is already written

We already had chapter skip in this app about 3 years ago until it was taken away and replaced with a skip to next video option (not that I use that very often when watching movies). 

Just assign chapter skip to which ever key you plan on using for the rest (I assume the up arrow like ATV and the other apps use since both down and up arrow do the same thing) temporarily  until you get the bif thing working

Is the bif the reason this is being so delayed ?

If yes, then as you say just release it without !

It's frankly embarrassing that a 'media player' doesn't have chapter ff/rw in 2021 - mind you, the web player doesn't either but at least it has the ability to quickly scroll.

The TV clients (well LG & Samsung..) have not had updates for what seems like years - so 'anything' at the moment would be most welcome ..

edit - lol, infact the DLNA functionality on the Samsung TV surpasses the native client - on that you have 3 speed ff/rwd, subtitle size etc.  So your choice is eye candy from emby or functionality of DLNA - seems you can't have both ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Version 1.0.28 was the last version I recall which had chapter skipping.  After that the >| and |< buttons on both the remote and the OSD were remapped to skip to next/previous video. But nothing was ever added back in to replace those other functions

Heck you could just make up two new icons and add them to the OSD which do chapter back and forward and then add the code back in that was there before before.  

This would be a nice start until something better can be done.  It's a lot better than clicking 30 seconds forward a thousand times

• Like 1

Or maybe just give us an option to jump on the progress line in osd and with left and right buttons to do fast forward and rewind like youtube app ...

rbjtech

It's getting to the point where unless you support a client properly, it is actually more of a support liability than a 'feature' imo.

In 2019 - LG and Samsung updates were pretty frequent - but since the mid-2019 - NOTHING of note has been updated 'feature' wise.

In the mean-time, the Android/FireTV and Roku Apps are being developed almost daily - so the idea of a single consistent app across all platforms is frankly a bit of a pipe dream.

I don't really get it tbh - as both Samsung and LG are the two biggest TV manufacturers in the world - You would have thought support for those would be a top priority as flagship products - but I guess not.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
FrostByte

Thanks for the chapter skip/info screen in version 1.1.0.   Looks excellent. 

Also, looking forward to the timeline slider using bifs you mentioned will come eventually

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
suckerluncz

I have EMBY version for Samsung 1.0.94 and can not see any of above functions. Is there any way to have upper version on my TV?

Edited by suckerluncz

FrostByte
3 hours ago, suckerluncz said:

I have EMBY version for Samsung 1.0.94 and can not see any of above functions. Is there any way to have upper version on my TV?

What year/model TV do you have?

You can always download the latest version and install from USB.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, suckerluncz said:

It is Samsung UE55KS7000.

If there is no other options, i will try this beta version. 

Correct.  Samsung stops accepting app updates in the store when the TV is more than 5 years old.  The USB Beta version will give you the most recent updates, but you will need to manually download and install the latest version every 30 days.  It will have the visual slider features that you seek...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suckerluncz said:

One more question. Do i need to uninstal previous version of EMBY before instal Beta one?

You should be able to install the USB version without deleting the Store version.  I think they will then both exist and you will have two app icons (which I recall look different),  

Try it without uninstalling, if that doesn't work then you might have to uninstall and try again