Roku App: Shuffle aka pick a random series like on the web app?

Liquidbings

Liquidbings

Howdy, just started using Emby premier recently. Loving the way everything looks and works so far!

One feature I can't seem to get working on the Roku App is the shuffle like in the web app. In the web app when I click on the shuffle button it brings me to a random series. When I click next episode it goes to the next episode but stays in that series aka the Venture Bros S01E01 -> Venture Bros S01E02.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give. 

Hi, to be honest, the the web app shuffle is weak at this point. it really should just shuffle everything, but we haven't gotten there yet. Are you saying that once this is improved, you'll actually be disappointed?

Liquidbings

Hi, to be honest, the the web app shuffle is weak at this point. it really should just shuffle everything, but we haven't gotten there yet. Are you saying that once this is improved, you'll actually be disappointed?

I do like how it shuffles to a random series but then stays on it. Many times I'm just looking for something random to watch but once it starts a show I generally like to stick with it for a bit not just jump to another series.

I feel like if I wanted to shuffle random episodes of any shows I would go into the episodes section and do a shuffle from there instead? And that would give me a never ending stream of just episodes?

Thank you kindly for such a quick reply! :D

I feel like if I wanted to shuffle random episodes of any shows I would go into the episodes section and do a shuffle from there instead? And that would give me a never ending stream of just episodes?

Yea you are right, but most don't think of that. Thanks for the feedback.

I too wish there was a shuffle option like with Kodi's PseudoTV Live. I have an ever growing collection and while times I know what I am looking for, a randomization (true randomization, not like your current failed attempt to use SQL Order By Random). Would be nice to be able to take our media and using Playlists develop an EPG to mock live tv. The playlists are there, the ability to read epg are there, now just need someone to create a Plugin to combine the two.

Flesh out what you mean a little more? PseudoTV? You put shows in the order you want and random episodes for those are pulled? Or your next up from each? Or perhaps random or next up or even dare say a combination of both? Maybe via a setting or ask via a dialog when asked to play these types of playlists?

Say your wife wants to watch 6 shows on tuesday. you know which. she does not mind reruns just likes the TV feel it provides. Okay..

So the playlist for tuesday simply has to have the 6 shows she watches on tuesday for this method to work. You would only want the ID of TV shows in the playlist.

Name each playlist after a day of the week:
WIFE-TUES-DAY

WIFE-TUES-NIGHT

Each playlist is just shows in there and only shows your wife watches on tuesday.

Then repeat for every other day of the week. Repeat for movies.

Then we would just need a way to have the API give us random or next up episodes from these as it builds the playlist. Then you would have your pseudo tv.

@@Luke would this be possible?

Edited by speechles

@@tuvx

https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/releases

You must sideload this on your Roku. The version on the Roku store is unupdateable and could never be updated with these last 3 updates.

That does offer true random if you press PLAY directly on a TV series. The app will take the time to actually shuffle the items and display a dialog as it does so. The blue neon night way is true random. I noticed the server wasn't true random so had the Roku shuffle on top after it seeds random with unixtime. Did you notice the "I Feel Lucky!" button? Its a 3D dice.. haw. What else screams "lucky" better than dice? Nothing does...lol.. that view is really just random unwatched, but maybe you'll get lucky and it suggests something good. 

Edited by speechles

Nice, I will check this out, thank you.

I am new to IPTV, so forgive me if my simplification is inaccurate. My suggestion of a plugin to mimic the op request, and take it a step further, was to create a m3u file based on predefined playlists with "grouped" shows/movies (and an epg for the content?). In a sense running your own IPTV service (only on your Emby server) using your own media. Additional features would be available to randomize the list, or set order priority. This approach would almost always leave you in the situation of "tuning" to a show in progress. Since it is your own content, would be good to have the ability to start from the beginning, but not sure if that is possible using Emby LIveTV as of now (I have never used).

To time it to the start of shows would require a tuner already be tuned ahead of time to that other show. So that as you switch from the first tuner you can rollback through the dvr recording the second tuner had captured. It sounds like at a minimum the pseudoTV would need 2 tuners and that is just to allow rewind when the channel changes at the interval. It would be possible to handle with m3u but you would need to always be capture 2 tuners. The 1 you are on and about halfway through that start to capture on a 2nd tuner the one after where you are. So that the moment the m3u changes channels you start at the beginning. The plugin would handle the timing of the 2 tuners to keep them in sync and have the 2nd tuner not miss recording at the right time so that you can start from beginning if you want when channels change. That would be the only hard part is keeping like you said, the abillity to rewind to the beginning of the show intact when the m3u changes channels. This is why at minimum it would need 2 tuners.

Edited by speechles

Liquidbings

I too wish there was a shuffle option like with Kodi's PseudoTV Live. I have an ever growing collection and while times I know what I am looking for, a randomization (true randomization, not like your current failed attempt to use SQL Order By Random). Would be nice to be able to take our media and using Playlists develop an EPG to mock live tv. The playlists are there, the ability to read epg are there, now just need someone to create a Plugin to combine the two.

This sounds very interesting. I have been considering how this could be done for quite sometime but I have always come up very short of my vision. This sounds almost exactly like what I had envisioned and something I could use for sure

There is already an existing feature request for this.  We should not cloud this topic with that.  Thanks.

@ebr: I disagree. The last mention was from 2017 and obviously rejected due to lack of interest. It is worth bringing back into the discussion, since it is related as mentioned by the op.

@ebr: I disagree. The last mention was from 2017 and obviously rejected due to lack of interest. It is worth bringing back into the discussion, since it is related as mentioned by the op.

Then please post in that topic, not this one.

Thanks.

• Like 1