Moving from Plex

Unikey

Hi all

looks like plex are doing their v ery best to drop as many users as possible the new interface is a pain and thye are dropping HTPC support

Currently i have alot of stuff 30TB+ on a very old machine running as a plex server and a htpc running plex media player so that everything direct plays as the server machine is not powerful enough to transcode i also use the android app to play music only

Also on the HTPC are lins to Amazon Prime, Netflix,Youtube ,All4 Demand 5 Iplayer etc (some of which integrate with plex and most that  don't

Using a logitech remote not keyboard and mouse

If I wanted to replicate that using Emby does it saupport items like Netflix and will the Emby Theater for Windows direcxt play everything...more features for Emby seem to be behind the paywall than for Plex and having wasted money on a lifetime plex pass Im reluctant to get stung again

arrbee99

Am really not an expert, but can probably say Theater is the best of the Emby apps when it comes to direct play. It would still depend on what you mean by everything, as there might be stuff it doesn't direct play.

The best option tbh is probably to just gets a months Premiere for I think 5 dollars and that'll give you a decent bit of time to experiment.

If you do check out the wiki regarding naming of media and its probably best to store metadata with the media instead of separately IMHO.

RedSocks157

I'm planning to try this out of well in light of Plex's recent decision to shoot themselves in the foot with a Howitzer. How does the Theater app handle passthrough of HDR, TrueHD, and DTS-MA?

Gilgamesh_48

Because I dislike missing anything that "might" improve my media experience I reactivated my Plex system and thoroughly tested all the clients I have with Plex and not one was "better" for me than my Emby experience. Some, like the Roku client, was close but not one was as good an experience as the Emby app on the same device. Note: I tested over about a week.

I did test the computer based clients and found that Plex's experience was vastly inferior to Emby's but I do not find that the computer based client for either Plex or Emby is better or even as good as even the worst of the regular clients. I found the theater experience on both systems clumsy and poorly responsive.

For me the best experience is on my Roku Ultra but the best picture is on my Shield TV. For my old eyes I have to look close to see any difference and on most videos I can see none. It is only on a very few videos that I can see any difference but the difference is there it is just for me that difference is inconsequential.

I have again shut down Plex on my computers although I do keep the Plex server on my Shield running, just in case.

All in all I have just reconfirmed that, for me, my decision to move from Plex to Emby is more than correct.

BTW: I do like Plex's collection handling a bit better than Emby's but that is a pretty minor matter overall.

I test Plex vs Emby about every 6 months but, given that Plex failed the last 3 tests, I may stop the periodic testing as it seems to be a waste of time. Plex is just too irritating to use at this time.

vdatanet

Because I dislike missing anything that "might" improve my media experience I reactivated my Plex system and thoroughly tested all the clients I have with Plex and not one was "better" for me than my Emby experience. Some, like the Roku client, was close but not one was as good an experience as the Emby app on the same device. Note: I tested over about a week.

I did test the computer based clients and found that Plex's experience was vastly inferior to Emby's but I do not find that the computer based client for either Plex or Emby is better or even as good as even the worst of the regular clients. I found the theater experience on both systems clumsy and poorly responsive.

For me the best experience is on my Roku Ultra but the best picture is on my Shield TV. For my old eyes I have to look close to see any difference and on most videos I can see none. It is only on a very few videos that I can see any difference but the difference is there it is just for me that difference is inconsequential.

I have again shut down Plex on my computers although I do keep the Plex server on my Shield running, just in case.

All in all I have just reconfirmed that, for me, my decision to move from Plex to Emby is more than correct.

BTW: I do like Plex's collection handling a bit better than Emby's but that is a pretty minor matter overall.

I test Plex vs Emby about every 6 months but, given that Plex failed the last 3 tests, I may stop the periodic testing as it seems to be a waste of time. Plex is just too irritating to use at this time.

I agree with a little nuance. The only client in which Plex surpasses Emby is the Apple TV client. I still use it to play 4K HDR content on my Apple TV. I hope I can get rid of Plex the day the Emby client for Apple TV is able to play 4K HDR content.

Note.- I mean the ability to play content. For me, UI of the Emby app for Apple TV is still superior than Plex, but it has playback issues.

Edited by vdatanet

Gilgamesh_48

I agree with a little nuance. The only client in which Plex surpasses Emby is the Apple TV client. I still use it to play 4K HDR content on my Apple TV. I hope I can get rid of Plex the day the Emby client for Apple TV is able to play 4K HDR content.

I do not use and have never used and will never use anything Apple so, in that, I must defer to your judgement on it.

Also, for me, 4K is unimportant because anything above 1080p and usually 720p is totally lost on my old eyes.

My old eyes and ears are perfectly satisfied with good 720p encodes and Dolby 2.1 stereo audio. Of course if I could see or hear the difference it "might" be different.