Server Crash when starting a video

Wondermusic

Wondermusic

Hi all,

i have a problem when starting a video from Browser (doesnt matter which one..).

I have now a NanoPi M4 with Armbian Stretch running, which will supersede my old WHS2011 Server. I used the emby server you can find in armbian-config with version 4.2.1.0.

For first tests i attached a normal HDD to the SATA- HAT for NanoPi M4 which works great. Now I copied some Videos on it, gave all Persmissions to the folders on the mounted drive.

Everything went fine, when letting the emby server find the informations for the videos, but the server stops immediately when starting a video.

Logs are attached.

Can someone help me with this?

Greets,

Richy

logs.zip

JaScoMa

I had the same issue.  How comfortable you are running betas, I'm not sure.  Updating to the 4.3.x beta releases will resolve this issue.  I ran all the 4.2.x betas without any issues, just once 4.2.0.40 (beta and stable) and 4.2.1.0 (stable) were released, the service will crash when viewing videos.

I'm running a RockPro64, running DietPI and had to update to the 4.3.x beta series. With the 4.2.1.0 Emby release (even with a fresh DietPI install and Emby install), everytime I tried to watch a movie, it would show buffering up to about 30% and then just stop.  Upon looking at running services (DietPI uses HTOP), Emby would show that it had crashed.  Nothing appears in the Emby logs.  Restarting the emby service and while watching it on HTOP, it would crash about 5 seconds upon starting a video.

Hope this helps.

Wondermusic

In my case it stops immediately. No buffering at all, but I'll give it a try today.

Thanks for the hint so far. :)

Cheers,

Richy

EDIT:

Does anybody know how to upgrade emby installed via Armbian-config's Softy?

There is no way to deinstall the current version, and I think the new installation will not be installed in the same folders to overwrite the installed one...

Edited by Wondermusic

Wondermusic

OK... It was possible to deinstall emby server with normal apt-get command - didn't tried it before (just tried to deinstall it via Softy).

AND - it worked for me too. The Beta Version is running like a charm so far.

Now I'll go the next step and mount one of my NTFS drives from my WHS2011- Server and give it a try.

And hopefully it will still work when the Beta turns into a Release Version... :D

Cheers and thanks again for the hint,

Richy

Wondermusic

You're welcome, but now I have a nother problem. After a restart of the server it crashed right at the beginning. Nothing usefull in the logs.

When I move all TV Shows into another folder, the server starts normally. After adding a few TV Shows same behavior. Server is not starting anymore and nothing in the logs.

looking at htop while starting the server everything is as it should be. RAM (I have the NanoPi M4 4GB- Version) is really no problem.

For "hardware" tests i installed Plex but here is everything fine with all my TV Shows. But it's not what I want, so this is no option for me... ;-)

I tried that with both versions (Release and Beta).

embyserver.txt

Edited by Wondermusic

Wondermusic

more than once. :(

I also tried to add the tv shows one by one. Some can be added and the server is restarting and the most not.

Not having these problems on my Windows emby server.

EDIT:

Here is what status ist telling me (sry - forgot to paste it here):

emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Fri 2019-08-23 11:02:05 CEST; 7s ago
  Process: 2670 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
 Main PID: 2670 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.ActivityLog.ActivityLogEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0240002 seconds
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.EncodingManagerEntryPoint
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /media/Platte3/Serien/HD
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.EncodingManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0157676 seconds
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Notifications.Notifications
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Notifications.Notifications. Duration: 0.0046896 seconds
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS emby-server[2670]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 23 11:02:05 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Wondermusic

• 2 weeks later...
Wondermusic

Hi Luke,

yes, still the same issue.

In the meantime I tried to use other media like Pictures and Home videos, but also here the same problem.

When adding the folder everythings seems to be good. emby is scanning all subfolders and no Problem appears.

When I browse through the folders also... Everythings fine.

But when I restart the server, it crashes.

Sometimes, but only in about 5% in all cases, the server is starting. See attached Videos & Logs.

EDIT: I also tried with newest BETA, but the same error occurs.

Videos.zip

logs.zip

Edited by Wondermusic

Wondermusic

@@Luke

Problem is still there...

Here again some debug logs.

The newer one is the one wich crashed and the older one wich worked.

emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Thu 2019-09-05 08:10:23 CEST; 12min ago
  Process: 26000 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
 Main PID: 26000 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard. Duration: 0.00672
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents. Duration: 0.002407
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier. Duration
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntryPoint
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS emby-server[26000]: Process is terminating due to StackOverflowException.
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 05 08:10:23 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63703267708.txt

Edited by Wondermusic

Wondermusic

Sry, still the same issue.

* emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Wed 2019-09-11 19:45:58 CEST; 11s ago
  Process: 17169 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
 Main PID: 17169 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemE
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataC
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDat
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntr
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /media/Platte3/emby-test
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEn
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS emby-server[17169]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.LiveTV.EntryPoint
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 11 19:45:58 NAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

embyserver.txt

• 4 weeks later...
Wondermusic

Hi Luke,

still running into this issue with newest Beta .12.

Is there a way to get more detailed logs to see what is going wrong?

JaScoMa

I can confirm that I do not have any issues with the .12 beta. I've been playing MKV rips without any issues.

I'll confirm tonight with other h264 handbrake encoded movies.

EDIT:  Confirmed here; no issues at all playing anything.  Server seems to be running fine.

Edited by JaScoMa