Subtitles always show

stefgun

stefgun

Hi there!

After the problems with changing audio track, I noticed another severe problem with Emby on my webOS-TV: I cannot turn off subtitles. I can SELECT them to be turned off (and also have turned them off generally in the options), but they still show, which is super-annoying, because I usually don't want them to.

So far, this has happened with all files I tried that have subtitles. Webplayer does not have this issue.

My TV:

LG 55LB674V-ZB

webOS version 1.4.0-2529 (the TV says it is on the latest version)

firmware is 5.5.70

Emby app is 1.0.17

Emby server is 4.2.1.0

Log:

embyserver.txt

File info from webplayer for one of the files I have tested:

ffmpeg-remux-1039c54a-c02b-4269-8349-a90ac979c1a2_1.txt

Hi, this is due to a defect in older versions of WebOS where it always plays subtitles no matter what we tell it to do. We're going to have to resolve this by forcing a conversion on the server to strip out the subtitles. We just haven't gotten to this yet but we'll get it into an upcoming update. Thanks.

If it is just remuxing then the load won't be too heavy. It is what it is. Not much choice unless we just want to live with users constantly reporting this.

• 10 months later...
Slennox

Hi,

Any updates on this issue? Any workaround we could test?

When playing any Live TV channel whose stream includes subtitles, they are always shown by the LG Web player and can't be disabled. No matter what configuration you select on client or server side.

LG Smart TV (55EG920V-ZA)
webOS TV 2.2.3-1353 (beehive-biscayne)
Emby Theater 1.0.24
Emby Server Versión 4.5.0.13 beta

Thank you.

Edited by Slennox

Not yet, sorry. We have to build a special hack for this and we haven't completed it yet. Hopefully soon. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, rrserver said:

I have this prloblem too,i can fix now this??

Hi, we're still looking into it. It's a hack workaround we're going to have to incorporate in order to skirt around a WebOS defect.

• 5 months later...
MAX92
On 8/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, Luke said:

Hi, this is due to a defect in older versions of WebOS where it always plays subtitles no matter what we tell it to do. We're going to have to resolve this by forcing a conversion on the server to strip out the subtitles. We just haven't gotten to this yet but we'll get it into an upcoming update. Thanks.

How is it possible to force conversion on the server ? 

5 hours ago, MAX92 said:

How is it possible to force conversion on the server ? 

Hi, not yet. We still need to add the workaround that I mentioned above.

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
cetrespeo

Same problem here with an up to date LG Smart TV (OLED55E9PLA)

Any solution ?

I cannot use the emby premiere if i always get those anoying captions....

1 hour ago, cetrespeo said:

Same problem here with an up to date LG Smart TV (OLED55E9PLA)

Any solution ?

I cannot use the emby premiere if i always get those anoying captions....

Hi, we still have not yet added this workaround to the server but it is on our to do list. Thanks.

cetrespeo
On 9/14/2021 at 11:19 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we still have not yet added this workaround to the server but it is on our to do list. Thanks.

Many thanks for your answer, Luke.

Your product is really good, but is useless with the captions always on, and as far as I see you have been for years like that.

I hope you reconsider investing some resources in finding the solution so you allow LG users to use your nice software. Meanwhile I will step down from your premiere service until solved. 

Please let us posted of any change.

Best

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:16 PM, dongleberry said:

Is there any workaround? I have the same issue now and cannot find a way to disable the subs. It's ridiculous honestly.

We're still looking into it. Thanks.

dongleberry

Just a note to this, if you access the Emby server via SmartShare (LG) you can direct play movies and choose to display or not display subtitles. So, it seems like a code issue TBH. Unfortunately, SmartShare is super primitive and would love to not have to resort to that.

6 minutes ago, dongleberry said:

Just a note to this, if you access the Emby server via SmartShare (LG) you can direct play movies and choose to display or not display subtitles. So, it seems like a code issue TBH. Unfortunately, SmartShare is super primitive and would love to not have to resort to that.

HI, it's not a code issue. The issue is in the LG player that is used by third party apps, and is limited to WebOS 1 & 2.

dongleberry

I noticed it had a recent-ish update, so there is a possibility for a fix down the road right? Thanks for taking the time to comment.

On 22/01/2022 at 13:16, dongleberry said:

Is there any workaround? I have the same issue now and cannot find a way to disable the subs. It's ridiculous honestly.

Can you please confirm you TV model?  This issue should only be a problem on much older models - generally pre-2017

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just discovered the Emby App on my LG TV (webOS 2). It seems to be the only app which manages to stream 4k content from my local network. So, a big thumbs up for that!

However, the forced subtitles are very annoying. Is there any workaround or is the issue still unsolvable?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, Tobag said:

Hi,

I just discovered the Emby App on my LG TV (webOS 2). It seems to be the only app which manages to stream 4k content from my local network. So, a big thumbs up for that!

However, the forced subtitles are very annoying. Is there any workaround or is the issue still unsolvable?

HI, it's still an open issue, but on our to do list. Thanks.