GTX1050 TI for transcoding in Dell R630

wintersport

wintersport

Hi there,

I got a server with the following specs where i run Emby on:

CPU: 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 64GB

Storage: 2TB SSD Storage

But it doesnt have any hardware acceleration options. So i would like to find a way to put my spare GTX1050Ti GPU inside my Dell R630.

Is this possible or am i just crazy thinking this? The server is 1U so i dont think there will be room for it, but maybe knows a way to use it. i saw Linus Tech Tips use some PCIe extender thingies, maybe that will work?

I hope someone can help me find a solution.

Kind regrads,

Robin

wintersport

Hi there!

I got the GTX1050Ti in my server. Now i just need to install the drivers for VMWare and we will see if it works! Ill get you guys know.

Kind regards,

Robin

MRobi

Sorry, I can't be much help here. My server is a Supermicro and I've never experimented with a graphics card in it.

Typically a full sized graphics card won't fit in a 1u server although I have have heard of cards that fit which also turn the slot 90 degrees so theoretically it would be possible.

Hi there, 

First of all, this is my main account, the other one was my test/work account.

Where to start :P

First i installed my GTX Geforce 1050 Ti in my Dell R630. After some modification to the chassis it would fit in.

Then booting the server and the driver party began.. long story short. Doesnt work.. Geforce and VMWare doesnt work smoothly on a Linux vm...

So i bought (with my eyes closed) a Quardo P2000, replaced it with the 1050Ti, selected it in VMWare and BOOM! Works!.

I can add the GPU to my specs list now :)

CPU: 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 64GB

Storage: 2TB SSD Storage

GPU: Nvidia Quardo P2000

Let the encoding begin.

Kind regrads,

Robin

Hi, 

What do you mean? Im not writing a nooby guide how to install everything :P But people can pm me if they have questions..

But here is a screenshot of the hardware acceleration working:

nDlkpbS.png

Kind regrads,

Robin

Ow haha! Sorry mate! I will :)

So far so good ;) Is there like a monitoring plugin that can show me what my Emby played and if it was transcoded or not?

Happy2Play

Ow haha! Sorry mate! I will :)

So far so good ;) Is there like a monitoring plugin that can show me what my Emby played and if it was transcoded or not?

Have a look at the Playback Reporting plugin.  Only starts monitoring from the time installed.

Have you explored the server dashboard while playing content?

Mate, really? Ofc... but im not watching that 24/7...

I need something that i can look back at later.

Have a look at the Playback Reporting plugin.  Only starts monitoring from the time installed.

I have that one installed, havent looked into it that much yet,

But if it can show what played and if it Direct Play or Trancecoded is, then my request is forfilled :).

Kind Regrads,

Robin

Happy2Play

Mate, really? Ofc... but im not watching that 24/7...

I need something that i can look back at later.

I have that one installed, havent looked into it that much yet,

But if it can show what played and if it Direct Play or Trancecoded is, then my request is forfilled :).

Kind Regrads,

Robin

Open the plugin, click Playback tab, then click the chart and scrolldown to see user playback sessions on that specific day.

Guest asrequested

Open the plugin, click Playback tab, then click the chart and scrolldown to see user playback sessions on that specific day.

Unfortunately, it only uses direct stream and not direct play. So it's inaccurate. I never direct stream anything.

Happy2Play

Unfortunately, it only uses direct stream and not direct play. So it's inaccurate. I never direct stream anything.

True but it is the only plugin that shows a history of playback method (directstream or transcode).

Sammy

So you don't do LiveTV I take it?

Sammy

I watch a lot of live TV, and it all direct plays.

So you don't timeshift then?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

So you don't timeshift then?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I have no use for skipping backwards with live TV.

Edited by Doofus

Sammy

I'm hard of hearing and sometimes, even with Closed Captions, I need to skip back to understand what was said; more often then that though, is the constant interruptions in our home with whatever and whomever coming or going or calling or whatnot so being able to pause is a necessity..

Guest asrequested

I'm hard of hearing and sometimes, even with Closed Captions, I need to skip back to understand what was said; more often then that though, is the constant interruptions in our home with whatever and whomever coming or going or calling or whatnot so being able to pause is a necessity..

I remember what it was like with a house full of people, with a wife and kids that would interrupt. But Theater still direct plays when skipping back. But it doesn't work very well.

• Like 1