Emby on Zidoo and external player = native player

xliv
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi,

I'm currently testing options to replace my Media Center Windows PC (running Windows 10, Emby Theatre + Power DVD)

So far, the best option is Zidoo (I bought a Z1000) - the native player plays very smoothly most of the files I throw at it, including 4k UHD BR rips with a built-in support for BR menus.

However, I'd like to keep the Emby App as a front end (Zidoo native Media Center "Poster Wall" is quite poor in features).

I managed to install Emby for Android TV, it runs quite nicely on the Zidoo.

But with External Player & Direct Path options enabled, when I play a media I get the message

"No Player

It doesn't appear you have a video capable app installed. This option requires you install a 3rd party application for playing video content"

Is there a way to tell Emby to use the native app on the Zidoo device?

Knowing that I think there is 2 ways to start the native player (especially for BR files): direct play or with menus.

Many thanks in advance

Edited by xliv

• Solution

Hi, it sounds like their player is not built to accept intents from other apps to play files.

• Like 1

Correct.  It is the Android system that determines what players are available for each type of item.

What happens if you don't select the direct path?

Hi, sorry for the delay - thought I'd get a notification for answers.

OK then I may want to ask Zidoo team to implement those intents, right?

When I do not tick the "Pass Direct Path" option, it works for MKV which will play fine, with some options not working (next chapter for ex).

BR Rips however will not start.

This is if the setting in Zidoo settings for Stream player is set to Native Player. If set to Nuplayer, then it will not work for MKV either.

OK then I may want to ask Zidoo team to implement those intents, right?

Yes that would have to happen.

• 3 years later...
Hans_Meiser
On 8/13/2019 at 2:22 AM, Luke said:

Hi, it sounds like their player is not built to accept intents from other apps to play files.

They have an API which you could use :)

There is a Jellyfin fork, which uses the API, see here: https://github.com/Andy2244/jellyfin-androidtv-zidoo

Documentation seems to be chinese only, though: http://apidoc.zidoo.tv/s/98365225/Gmwqxawu/fOZWM3WZ

Hans_Meiser

Thank you for your reply :)

While the video starts and everything from HD audio to Dolby Vision works, resume does not work and playback status sync does not work (so I cant resume at the same point from my ipad for example). Also, there is no playback info or loading screen like the Zidoo player supports (natively and via API).

Loading Screen that does not work this way:

Screenshot-20211007-105825.png

Info screen while playback that does not work this way:

Screenshot-20211119-135711.png

Would be really awesome if you can implement the API in your App :)

Edited by Hans_Meiser
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hans_Meiser said:

Hi Luke,

is supporting Zidoo something you would consider in the future?

HI, yes certainly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

We might be able to do some new development on the internal player to better support zidoo, so we are looking into that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
next_level
On 24/11/2023 at 20:45, Luke said:

We might be able to do some new development on the internal player to better support zidoo, so we are looking into that.

Luke - has progress been made on this?

Hi, no, we think there's a better way than this. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

next_level

Sounds great, does the current version of the armv7 now integrate well with the native zidoo player? What is the best way to configure it or do we need to wait for a new client to be issued? Thanks for this Luke.

15 hours ago, next_level said:

Sounds great, does the current version of the armv7 now integrate well with the native zidoo player? What is the best way to configure it or do we need to wait for a new client to be issued? Thanks for this Luke.

Hi, we have some changes in mind, but haven't done the work yet. Until then you can use the external player feature to open videos using the zidoo player.

• Like 1