Playback Hangs

Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

I have Emby Server for Windows on my computer, and it has been working perfectly when used with my Roku devices. I recently tried the Emby app for Android, and I've been having problems. After a few minutes (generally 5-10), playback will hang. The only way to get the film to start again is to back out to the menu and resume play. Sometimes a strange thing happens: if I watch long enough for it to hang a second time, when I try to resume it will start at the point of the *previous* freeze.

My phone is a Samsung Note 9, in case that matters.

Any suggestions?

Blatherscribe

There weren't any error messages. It was simply this:

Movie plays, streaming from Emby Server on my Windows 10 PC to my Android phone. Movie stops playing as if paused. I wait and wait and nothing changes.

Eventually I back out to the main screen of the Emby Android app and start playing the movie again. The movie plays for a while, then stops again.

That's it. No error messages, and nothing to show you. If I took a screenshot it would just be a still image from the film as if it were paused.

Blatherscribe

Sorry, I had seen the part about error messages, and hadn't read down to the next section about server logs. The delay was because I had to wait until I could watch something on my phone this evening, because the logs had all been replaced by logs of playing things on the Roku.

I've attached the latest log file. The movie stopped playing at about 17:44. This one lasted longer (the last one only made it about ten minutes before freezing). I'd love to know if there's something I'm doing wrong that I could fix. :)

By any chance, if you don't mind an unrelated question, is there a way to chip in a few bucks for this program other than licensing the Premiere version? I can't afford to license it for any meaningful length of time, but if you have a one-time purchase or donation option, I'd happily pay something for the free version.

embyserver.txt

By any chance, if you don't mind an unrelated question, is there a way to chip in a few bucks for this program other than licensing the Premiere version?

I would say purchase one month and then immediately cancel the recurring payment. Thanks for the offer !

Blatherscribe

If it helps, here's the log from yesterday, when I encountered the same problem. Also a new one: it would play for ten seconds, pause for two or three, play five seconds, pause, etc. Stuttering like that made it impossible to continue watching on my phone.

Thanks for checking into this! :)

embyserver-63701928493.txt

Blatherscribe

This is what I have now. I tried to watch a movie using the new beta app, and it's even worse than before. The stuttering was awful, maybe two or three seconds at best between pauses. Is there anything I can do?

embyserver.txt

Are you sure you tried to play during the time of this log? I don't see any playback activity here. Have you tried lowering the in-app quality setting? It sounds to me like the bitrate is just too high.

Blatherscribe

How does one do that? There don't appear to be any in-app quality settings. The Display menu is about settings for the appearance of the app, and the Playback menu only has things like play next episode automatically and skip forward length. I can't even find anything under Manage Emby Server.

Blatherscribe

This is what I have in my Android app, in the Playback menu. I honestly cannot find anything there, or anywhere else, that relates to video quality. I've checked every menu. Is it possible we're talking about different apps?

-----

PLAYBACK

Audio Settings

Preferred audio language

[   ] Play default audio track regardless of language

Advanced

[   ] Play next episode automatically

[   ] Enable next video info during playback

[   ] Enable external video players

Skip forward length:

Skip back length:

Have you taken away transcoding permissions from your emby user? If they're not allowed to play with transcoding, then there will be no way to adjust quality, and then we hide the options in that case.

Blatherscribe

Ah! That explains it. I had just done that, having read elsewhere on this forum that transcoding could cause skipping and random pauses. I just haven't had the chance to try it out yet, and didn't realize it would cause part of the menu to disappear. Thanks! :)

Blatherscribe

Thanks, I did. But my phone supports the format I use for these files, as does my Roku, so it should be safe. But I appreciate the warning! :)

Transcoding may also have been the root of the problem. I just watched an entire episode of a TV show without a single glitch. The longest I'd managed before had been 15 minutes. So it could be that transcoding fairly large files on the fly is a bit much for the server to handle. I'll try playing a movie soon, and see what happens. But I won't bother you unless the problem continues.

Many thanks for the help! :)