Override Folder Type within Mixed Content Libraries

scb99

scb99

I already mentioned this within the "Windows / General" section but maybe I mention it again here.

Request: Within a "Mixed Content" Library, for a given Folder, enable the user to override the Folder Type from the … Menu and say please treat this Folder like (whatever).

Background:

Within a "Mixed Content" Library, Emby makes its best guess to the content of a folder according to the "rules"

However (and obviously this is fair enough of course) it will sometimes guess wrong.

For instance: if a programme has only one season and instead of using the "SnnEnn Episode name" format I leave out the "S01" element and just have "E01 Episode Name", then the Identify function vanishes because Emby doesn't recognise it as a series. So although I can work around this by prepending S01 to every episode, it seems inelegant to do this, for example considering the serial of Shakespeare plays "An Age of Kings", Shakespeare never wrote a Season 2, so it just "feels" ridiculous writing "S01E01 Richard II"

For instance: if a programme has only one existing episode, then Emby won't identify it even using the S01E01 format. for instance, the serial "Miss Adventure" has only one surviving episode "S01E01 Stranger in Paradise" and I can't Identify this. Another like this is the TV series Sexton Blake where only "S01E01 Find the Lady" exists but Emby is convinced it must be the film Sexton Blake.

Proposal:

So I think a great and also easy (I suppose!!!???) to implement solution to this would be to enable the user to override the Folder Type from the … Menu and say please treat this Folder like whatever.

Nothing will ever be 100% perfect but I'd get up from 95% to 99% probably like this.

And I just want to mention because of my situation I can't organise all my folder structure around the requirements of Emby, I have to take my existing structure and make Emby work the best I can.

Well I hope this attracts your attention and approval.

Cheers, Steve

Edited by scb99
  • Like 1

levander

You can use free tools tinymediamanager or mediaelch to generate nfos and scrape correct metadata for series (or movies). You can choose imdb, tmdb and tvdb. After that emby will just implement those nfo and it will work. It is the best thing you can do at this moment (and possibly ever) to override such problems in emby.

Edited by levander

scb99

I think my request is simple to implement and (a) would work well for me but much more importantly ( b)would help a lot of people I saw posting here over the year or so since I started using Emby. I think it’s a quick win.

Regarding nfo’s

1. My emby folders are backups of other offline folders, if I use nfo’s they’ll simply get wiped out by the next sync cycle. Any changes I make I need to make ‘upstream’

2. I don’t like nfo’s anyway, I wiped them all out as clutter. They are tech from 20 years ago. Personal preference I guess.

Edited by scb99

scb99

Ps I embed a lot of info in my mkv’s. If Emby could parse mkv’s that would also be interesting for me. But too many people focus on mp4 and video folders and suchlike for that to be worthwhile so far i think. But I do think that approach is for the future.