4K UHD MKV's failing to direct play (exit playback within 15 secs)

annisman

annisman

My 4K MKV's exit playback about 10 or 15 seconds after beginning a direct play with no error message. The exact same MKV file plays back perfectly when choosing a lossless audio track before playback (which then triggers a remux). What is going on here ??

Lemme take a wild educated stab-in-the-dark here. Are these MKV with DTS-HD audio tracks that just refuse to play? But choosing TrueHD rather than the DTS direct play has chosen it then plays fine? Yep. Roku has broken DTS pass-through on their latest firmware. It should pass the DTS-core through 5-channel from the DTS-HD track but it won't. It hangs on some devices. So the present work around is go to your Roku settings. Press home until you are at the Roku homescreen. Go to settings. If this is not a Roku TV it is in the HDMI audio settings. If this is a Roku TV it is in the Audio settings. Make sure DTS is not listed. Do not use AUTO. Use Dolby or Dolby+. That should solve the problem.

NOTE: This DTS issue affects all apps on the Roku not just Emby. Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Hulu.. the list goes on...

Follow on Roku forums using these issue threads:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154486&p=650418

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154534&p=650595

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154479&p=650386

If this is not related to DTS .. hmm.. Can you post the media info for the problem item?

Edited by speechles

annisman

Will double check that it is a DTS only problem and report back, thanks so much for all that info. It is a Roku Ultra not a Roku TV.

yeah my Roku ultra definitely has issues with DTS-HD and refuses to pass-through the DTS core. Not sure why. The Damn Roku will advertise support for DTS even though I lack DTS too If I choose AUTO for HDMI Audio. This much is known. Always pick your Audio support unless you WANT to use volume control modes that Roku has. I always put volume mode to OFF. They have two modes Level removes loud sounds and boosts quiet. Night just removes loud sounds. I never use Volume modes so never use Auto. Volume modes will ONLY work if you use Auto. Make sure your "Volume Mode" is set to OFF.

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-

Edited by speechles

annisman

I won't be home to test until Wednesday but I'm definitely going to have an answer for you on this.

annisman

I won't be home to test until Wednesday but I'm definitely going to have an answer for you on this.

It is all good take your time. When you want let us know what is up and I will dive into it. I believe it related to DTS but if this isn't the case please be sure to whack us in the head so we know. Sometimes you need to @@speechles me in this or any other thread to keep us aware as sometimes like all humans things slip through the cracks. I will try to watch the thread but don't be afraid to ping my nickname. Never fear. Fear isn't a useful emotion. There is no such thing as stupid questions as that is an OxyMoron. Stupid remains ignorant and believes they can find the answer themselves. Smart people ask any and all sorts of questions.

Edited by speechles

annisman

All right now that I'm home I can test some things out. Here are my findings for the 4K version of Lord of war.

When selecting Dolby stereo it directs plays and then exits within 10 seconds.

When selecting Dolby 5.1 it direct plays and then exits within 10 seconds.

When selecting truehd 7.1 it triggers a remux and plays perfectly fine with no crashing.

Man on a ledge 4K is also showing the exact same results.

This is after I disable DTS in the HDMI audio settings of the Roku.

annisman

One thing I've noticed that while direct playing the streaming type is labeled as MKV. While a remux is playing the streaming type is labeled as HLS. What is the difference between these two? I don't understand anything about what streaming type means but maybe my issue is with the MKV streaming type and not an actual audio problem.

One thing I've noticed that while direct playing the streaming type is labeled as MKV. While a remux is playing the streaming type is labeled as HLS. What is the difference between these two? I don't understand anything about what streaming type means but maybe my issue is with the MKV streaming type and not an actual audio problem.

When it's not direct playing we have to deliver it to the Roku in a different format, in this case HLS where it breaks up the video into lots of little pieces and the Roku video player downloads a little bit at a time.

annisman

When it's not direct playing we have to deliver it to the Roku in a different format, in this case HLS where it breaks up the video into lots of little pieces and the Roku video player downloads a little bit at a time.

And direct stream doesn't break it up at all ?

annisman

Regular Blu Ray (h264) direct playback seems to be working OK, along with remux. Looks like just the 4K titles goving me issues.

Typically a direct play failure means it's a problem with the Roku video player. We'll see what @@speechles thinks.

It might be something we'll have to report to Roku, and then temporarily trigger transcoding in order to ensure that it plays successfully.

image.png

I had a fellow msg me the same exact thing. The problem file was Angry Birds and those are small so I wanted to see for myself. It plays on all my Roku devices just fine...

What is the model of Roku that is experience the problem? What is the Roku firmware version of that model? We want to be able to fix this but we need to reproduce the issue to discover the scenario that triggers it in order to eliminate it. Thanks and apologies. :)

It happens on both of my roku's and they are both the ultra models

image.png

Make sure transcoding for that user is allowed. The Roku video player does not understand how to deal with it when you change this... yet. :)

Also.. can you share that video with me via dropbox, google drive, or similar?

Which model of Roku ultra 4640 or 4660? I have both and can test.

Also which Roku firmware is showing on your about in your Roku home screen device settings?

annisman

They are both 4660X, both 9.1.0, both using Emby beta.

Also, everything is enabled for playback for the user, I double checked, though I expected it would be because there is only one user which is mine, the admin server account.

@@speechles

Edited by annisman

annisman

Here is a screen shot of what Emby server is seeing before playback fails (for this file it always fails at 11 or 12 seconds in)

https://ibb.co/gd9WDj0

I'm sorry I don't think I can really share the files with you because all my UHD rips are massive...