Problems with my router

qazwsx10
Go to solution Solved by qazwsx10,

qazwsx10

Good afternoon everyone!

So I'm currently having an issue of playing media from my server to my local Emby app installed on my Nvidia Shield. It isn't all media, but I have noticed it generally freezes when I try to play media with a higher bitrate (around >10mbps)

The server is installed on my PC which has a 1055t processor and 8GB ram (directly connected to router). The Emby app is installed on my Nvidia Shield (wirelessly connected to router). The router is an Google OnHub TGR1900, when I run a speed test from my Shield I get about 50 mbps.

I was watching Modern Family when I decided to post my problem. My season 8 episodes all had relatively low bitrates (<4mbps), but when I started watching season 9 (~13mbps), that's when I started noticing constant freezing about every 10 seconds.

I included a copy of the server log of when I restarted the server and started playing near the end of an episode when the freezing started immediately. When I checked Emby, it looked like it was direct playing while it was freezing.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information!

server.txt

Edited by qazwsx10

Hi.  Has your Shield recently updated to the new 8.0 firmware?

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of reports like yours with the update.

qazwsx10

Hi. Has your Shield recently updated to the new 8.0 firmware?

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of reports like yours with the update.

I did update it the day after it came out! Unfortunately I did have this issue with high bitrate movies even before the update. I wasn't sure if this was an issue with my router, so I was considering purchasing an Orbi mesh router.

Any suggestions are helpful!

vdatanet

@@vdatanet has this happened to you?

No, mine is good, both wifi and wired. I can play 4K HDR movies with bitrate over than 100 Mbps. It’s not general. It’s particular of some units, as I can see in Nvidia forums, the reason is still unknown. Wifi issues are quite common, wired issues not so much. Wifi failures maybe are related to changes in 2.4 and 5 Ghz. I think the new band selection feature makes the shield a mess, specially when 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs are the same, I think it depends on the router model. I've asked people to try to disable 2.4 Ghz band or change SSID, post mode router, but I didn't get feedback :(:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76207-wifi-problems-after-shield-experience-80-update/

My router's WiFi is disabled and I have 3 Airports Extreme covering my entire home. They are old, but they work very well and I have about 400 Mbps in every corner of my house.

Edited by vdatanet

qazwsx10

No, mine is good, both wifi and wired. I can play 4K HDR movies with bitrate over than 100 Mbps. It’s not general. It’s particular of some units, as I can see in Nvidia forums, the reason is still unknown. Wifi issues are quite common, wired issues not so much. Wifi failures maybe are related to changes in 2.4 and 5 Ghz. I think the new band selection feature makes the shield a mess, specially when 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs are the same, I think it depends on the router model. I've asked people to try to disable 2.4 Ghz band or change SSID, post mode router, but I didn't get feedback :(:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76207-wifi-problems-after-shield-experience-80-update/

My router's WiFi is disabled and I have 3 Airports Extreme covering my entire home. They are old, but they work very well and I have about 400 Mbps in every corner of my house.

With the most recent update, I should be able to connect specifically to either my 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands. Is there one you would suggest trying? Or do you think it won't make a difference?

vdatanet

With the most recent update, I should be able to connect specifically to either my 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands. Is there one you would suggest trying? Or do you think it won't make a difference?

Your SSIDs are the same? Can you disable 2.4 Ghz? I think that those setting selecting the band doesn't work very well (in some cases)

qazwsx10

Your SSIDs are the same? Can you disable 2.4 Ghz? I think that those setting selecting the band doesn't work very well (in some cases)

Yeah, for the Google routers both bands share the same SSID, so connecting to the WiFi is a breeze unless if the product needs to connect to a certain band (e.g. certain doorbells need to connect only to 2.4).  I'll try having the shield specifically connect to the 5 GHz band when I get back home. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
qazwsx10

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Forgot to write up an update! Using the 5Ghz band didn't do much different. It played for a little bit and then froze again.

I did end up finding a great deal on an Orbi AC3000 with a satellite (for $90  :)), so I replaced my Google Onhub with this and connected my Shield to the satellite with an Ethernet cable. My download instantly maxed out! I didn't get a chance to fully test it yet, but the first 5 or so minutes of my highest bitrate film (about 25 mbps) played without any hiccups. I'll test it further tomorrow, but it's looking like it was my router that may have been causing the problem (i hope at least!)

• Like 1

qazwsx10

Definitely was the router! I just booted up Nvidia Geforce NOW and in the past 20 or so minutes it only once dropped down from 1080p 60 frames to 720p 60 frames. Before the router upgrade, it would even struggle at 544p 30 frames :)