New Audio settings on Android TV 9 Pie

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

My new Android TV device (Mecool KM9 Pro Classic) comes with Android TV 9 Pie and I found out very different new audio settings, specially the "Auto" and "Manual" settings, what I like about the "Auto" option is ability to know the audio codecs supported by our TVs and AVRs directly from that screen (the toggle for each audio codec moves to the right when it's supported), and the "Manual" setting which I assume is useful to force pass-through of those audio codecs as well.

5d4e30073df38_Screenshot_20190809190756.

5d4e301fac6b4_Screenshot_20190809191034.

However, since I don't have an AV receiver with HDMI inputs to test this I used my TV to test the "Manual" setting. Emby audio setting is set to "Auto".

My TV doesn't have Dolby or DTS decoding by HDMI, so I should hear no audio or maybe some noise when I force any of those codecs and hear stereo with the others turned off.

For example, I turned on "Dolby Digital" and played a video in Emby with that codec. I was expecting to hear nothing, but the audio of that video was playing in stereo instead.

The question is: Is Emby still not supporting this feature or is it broken at all in Android TV 9 Pie?

I guess Emby devs have an Nvidia Shield updated to the recent 9 Pie firmware, it has the same options above.

Could you or anybody test this to verify if it's working?.

Thanks.

We'd have to look at a specific example.  Perhaps there were other factors in play or, perhaps, your TV actually  downmixed it for you.

Richard Branches

We'd have to look at a specific example.  Perhaps there were other factors in play or, perhaps, your TV actually  downmixed it for you.

I don't think so, with my previous device under Oreo it didn't downmixed it, maybe your right, so I hope you make some tests, I will try to find another TV with more HDMI decoding because it's difficult to me to find someone with an AVR where I live.

Richard Branches

Can we still look at a specific example? thanks.

Just test a video with Dolby Digital 5.1, switch the audio setting to manual and turn on only the Dolby Digital toggle. Let us know the result, thanks.

Just test a video with Dolby Digital 5.1, switch the audio setting to manual and turn on only the Dolby Digital toggle. Let us know the result, thanks.

Every TV I have will accept a DD 5.1 input so I'll get downmixed stereo sound.

Richard Branches

Every TV I have will accept a DD 5.1 input so I'll get downmixed stereo sound.

Exactly and I should get no audio because my TV can't decode it, from my understanding, that toggle is meant to send the raw codec regardless of what the TV/AVR really decodes... so, could it be broken in Emby or could the "manual" setting be broken in my cheap Android TV 9 Pie device?

Edited by Richard Branches

Exactly and I should get no audio because my TV can't decode it, from my understanding, that toggle is meant to force the codec to be sent regardless of what the TV/AVR really decodes... so, could it be broken in Emby or could the "manual" setting be broken in my cheap Android TV 9 Pie device?

I don't think anything is broken but, without seeing specifics, I really have no idea what is happening.  A log from the app would tell a lot.

Richard Branches

I don't think anything is broken but, without seeing specifics, I really have no idea what is happening.  A log from the app would tell a lot.

Good idea!, I'll send it from the app as soon as I can, thanks.

Richard Branches

Meanwhile, could you please test a video with an audio codec your TV doesn't support?, that could help you understand why you hear audio instead of silence when you use the manual setting, like I said above, the toggle should send a raw codec regardless of what your TV really decodes so you should hear silence or maybe some noise.

Richard Branches

Log sent on 08/10/19 at 4:21 p.m.

Richard Branches

It appears Emby app is not detecting when DTS and DTS-HD toggles are turned on because this options don't appear as when the device is connected directly to an AVR and those audio codecs are detected.

I remember they used to appear when the "Always" audio setting on Oreo was selected:

5d4f366e58def_DTS.png

Richard Branches

Your system still reports only stereo is supported.  So we mix down in-app.

So that means the "manual" option is just taking into account what the TV supports rather than forcing anything or it's broken, I figured it was doing that but I wasn't sure...

Richard Branches

You might try rebooting the device after changing those settings...

Didn't work, it may be broken or Emby may need to support this since it's something new.

Didn't work, it may be broken or Emby may need to support this since it's something new.

There isn't anything new for us to support.  We query the device for what it says it can support and have been doing that from the get-go.

Richard Branches

Turns out the "Manual" setting is not broken at all but Emby fails to detect the setting unless I force stop the app, for example, to only use the Dolby Digital toggle this is what I do:

1) Make sure Emby audio setting and the device's audio setting is set to Auto.

2) Open Emby and play the Dolby Digital video for a few seconds, it plays in stereo on my TV.

3) Stop the video, exit Emby and then go to the device's audio setting and switch it to "Manual" then turn on the Dolby Digital toggle

4) Go to settings -> apps -> Emby -> force stop

5) Open Emby and play the video again, it will playback directly but no audio will be output from the speakers since my TV doesn't have Dolby Digital decoding.

Other codecs are transcoded to Dolby Digital (see attached logs) because that's the only audio option turned on, I assume those codecs should play directly when they are turned on.

Even the DTS pass-through settings (see screenshot in comment #12) appear after I force stop the app.

ffmpeg-remux-aa9133ae-6c9d-4096-b402-4b2144748abb_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-9618e06a-001b-42ec-81cf-2ab729ec29e5_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-ce50cbff-485b-454e-af77-892a81fb704e_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-b5e8d9b2-6103-4ef8-a253-3e004151ef5e_1.txt

So essentially you're saying that if you change the device setting with the Emby app running in the background, the app will not be able to react to the change?

Richard Branches

So essentially you're saying that if you change the device setting with the Emby app running in the background, the app will not be able to react to the change?

Not only in the background but also when I exit the app using the "back" button.

Richard Branches

Ok, we'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks.

You're welcome and please let me know when you fix it so I could test it in a beta release.

We query for this information every time it is needed.  However, the internal routines we're using for them may be caching it somewhere.

In any case, what are you actually trying to achieve here?

So far, what you've proven is that these "force" settings are just a way for people to break playback :).

Richard Branches

In any case, what are you actually trying to achieve here?

I'm more a tester or a beta tester rather than a user that expect that everything works out of the box, I'm constantly testing the app to make sure everything works as supposed to be, so I used other apps (Plex, NOVA Video Player and VLC) to test this and they work with this manual setting without force stop the app so why not Emby?.

Some TVs (like mine) don't support Dolby or DTS decoding by HDMI because of its EDID, however, some of them (like mine) are able to pass-through those codecs to the optical/ARC outputs when they are forced by the source device.

So far, what you've proven is that these "force" settings are just a way for people to break playback :).

Not to "break" it but force it.