Playlist Limit

Olynthus

Olynthus

I was wondering why the playlist on the Android TV app on the NVIDIA Shield is limited to only 250 songs? All my other devices including my android phone and Windows 10 apps have all 318 songs in my playlist. The playlist is being pulled from Windows 7 Media Center running on my Emby Server.

Thanks

Edited by Olynthus

Hi.  It is somewhat arbitrary and we have recently increased this to 500 for the next app release.

Where, exactly, are you seeing this limit?

Olynthus

The playlist is generated by Windows 7 Media Center. Windows Media Center is used to generate a playlist based on songs rated 4 stars or more there are 318 songs. I then save that playlist, giving it a name of "favorites", it is saved in the music "Playlist" folder in Windows. It then shows up in the Emby music folder on all my remote devices under playlist called "favorites". I select it, then play them with the shuffle button and there are only 250 songs on all the Nvidia Shields I use. It only does this with the NVIDIA Shield app. Works fine with the Windows 10 and my Android phone app, when I select it with the shuffle button, all 318 songs are available to listen to. 

Edited by Olynthus

Thanks for the description.  The next release of the app will allow up to 500 items.

• 6 months later...
Dibbes

I'm running into this limit of 500 now when using the SmartPlaylist plugin... I'm curious as to what the reason for this limit is. It's not there in the webapp or the Android mobile app

• Like 1

FrostByte

Seeing the same with my huge playlist with almost 4000 songs.  Shuffle randomly picks 500 songs (though it seems to pick the same songs a lot) and was hoping it would shuffle the whole playlist instead so I could hear all the songs.

Edited by FrostByte

Seeing the same with my huge playlist with almost 4000 songs.  Shuffle randomly picks 500 songs (though it seems to pick the same songs a lot) and was hoping it would shuffle the whole playlist instead so I could hear all the songs.

When you shuffle, it is shuffling from the entire list.

FrostByte

The screen only shows the first 500, but shuffle does pick songs from past that point.  I just shuffled and there are songs within 50 of the bottom of the actual playlist.

Edited by FrostByte

Dibbes

I'm trying to watch a series crossover, so shuffle is not something I'm wanting to do...

Dibbes

The screen only shows the first 500, but shuffle does pick songs from past that point.  I just shuffled and there are songs within 50 of the bottom of the actual playlist.

I'm still curious what the reason is for it though... I mean, now that we have continuous scrolling in libraries, it doesn't really seem to fit...

• Like 2

I mean, now that we have continuous scrolling in libraries, it doesn't really seem to fit...

The feature that was just implemented was specific to the web app.  This app (Android TV) has always had continuous scrolling...

However, this particular view is not as well optimized for large lists as the other views are.  The next release will up the limit to 1000 until we can optimize this view as well.

• Like 2

Dibbes

The next release will up the limit to 1000 until we can optimize this view as well.

That is appreciated, thank you!

FrostByte

The feature that was just implemented was specific to the web app.  This app (Android TV) has always had continuous scrolling...

However, this particular view is not as well optimized for large lists as the other views are.  The next release will up the limit to 1000 until we can optimize this view as well.

Will it also randomly select 1000 items during shuffle in the next release.  That is set at 500 also I believe

Edited by FrostByte

Will it also randomly select 1000 items during shuffle in the next release.  That is set at 500 also I believe

Just curious - what is your use-case for watching or listening to 1000 items in a single session?

FrostByte

Just curious - what is your use-case for watching or listening to 1000 items in a single session?

I don't actually listen to that many at once. 

However, I do skip a lot of tracks as it seems to pull a lot of the same tracks from the previous time.  Plus sometimes I'm just in not in the mood to listen to some tracks in my playlist.    So then I end up shuffling again which then brings up a lot of the same songs once more so I end up shuffling a third time. 

If it were to pull 1000 songs I might not have to do the second shuffle of songs which just brings up a lot of the same lot from the first 500 anyway

Edited by FrostByte

... as it seems to pull a lot of the same tracks from the previous time.  

You are shuffling the same list so seeing "a lot" of the same items is to be expected.  What would be different is the order of those items.  That is what is being shuffled - the order.

• 8 months later...
MichaelSZ
On 2/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, ebr said:

Dunno if this is fixed yet or not. But to my disappointment I also noticed the limit of 1000 songs too. 

I really don't understand why this has to be explained. I have a lot of music and I have a few playlists of approximately 1000 to 1500 songs each that I want to listen to in random order. Not at once, but in due time. And when I start to listen again, I want to continue from where I left. Now it's not possible when I reach the 1000 song limit. 

Implementation of playlist feature should be as follows:

- No limit to playlist length (Ok, maybe 10.000 or so would be sufficient if infinity is not an option)

- Regardless of what playlist have been listened previously and regardless of the state of the application and the server the app should always offer resume playback from the point listening was previously paused or stopped

Edited by MichaelSZ