Display Mode with app installed from USB

Javier GC

Javier GC

Hi

When I play 1080p domestic films there appear black areas in top and bottom and the image stretch too much.

Using the default TV player the same video the image fit correctly.

I don’t find way to adjust the display mode from the app

Any help?

Thanks,

Javier

CarlosLima

I don't see this as a defect in the app. Occurs due to the format of the video file.

Experiment with an IMAX 1080p bluray file and you'll find that you won't have the top or bottom stripes.

FrostByte

Hi

When I play 1080p domestic films there appear black areas in top and bottom and the image stretch too much.

Using the default TV player the same video the image fit correctly.

I don’t find way to adjust the display mode from the app

Any help?

Thanks,

Javier

Can you post a pic of the media info for that movie?  SamES just fixed something similar and it may be related but stretched in the opposite direction?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76088-films-vertically-stretching/

• Like 1

Javier GC

Hi

I think it could be fixed with that commented by Sam.

The app should adjust the aspect ratio the best way and no deform the image.

It was 1080p with 1920x1080 pixels.

Edited by Javier GC

SamES

Hi

I think it could be fixed with that commented by Sam.

The app should adjust the aspect ratio the best way and no deform the image.

It was 1080p with 1920x1080 pixels.

I expect it will.  Just check the Media Info at the bottom of the details page for this movie on the server.  Does the Video stream have an Aspect ratio defined?

If not, the the next version should resolve it.  If it has an Aspect ratio, then something else is wrong.

• Like 1

SamES

Then this sounds like a different problem to the other post.  Based on this aspect ratio, I would expect black bars top and bottom.

Are you able to send a photo of your screen showing the size of the black bars?

SamES

Photo?

So is this transcoding when you have the problem, or DirectPlay?  You can confirm on the server dashboard during playback

SamES

I'm a little confused.  Based on the aspect ratio, there should be black bars top and bottom.  Is that the case when using the default TV player, or does it display full screen without black bars?  Or is the problem that the bars are bigger this way compared to the default player?

When you say the default TV player, do you mean if you load the file on a USB stick and connect it direct to the TV?

FrostByte

Are you able to share the file, or a small portion of it, on a cloud server that we might be able to test?

SamES

What I think is also odd is that the width and height of the file does not match the aspect ratio.

Normally what I've seen is the aspect ratio matches the video size.  ie: if black bars are required top and bottom, the aspect ratio will be different to 16:9 and the height will be less than 1080.  ie: the actual video width and height will match the aspect ratio.   Then we match the video window to the aspect ratio and video size to make the black bars.  

The only case where this is not true is for anamorphic content where a 4:3 image needs to be stretched to 16:9.  So now we stretch the video to match the aspect ratio

In your case, the width and height is different to the aspect ratio.  I suspect that this is because the black bars are burnt into the content to make a 16:9 file, but the aspect ratio reported is the actual movie aspect ratio (which is fairly meaningless in this case).  Therefore we are stretching it to make black bars, but we shouldn't be as they are already in the file.

If this is also from a home video camera then I suspect this might be non-standard, or otherwise a 'feature' of home movies I'm not aware of. 

Edited by SamES

SamES

Are you able to share the file, or a small portion of it, on a cloud server that we might be able to test?

I think if we check a sample in vlc player it will have black bars instead of just changing the size of the player to match the window

Javier GC

I am working in get some different captures,

but I anticipate that some devices or applications eliminate the bars

Edited by Javier GC

Guest JaysEmby

emby is correctly playing this file in its default "fit all of the picture on display" as this 256:81 ratio is slimmer and stretched more than 21:9 so it adds the black boarders top and bottom to fit the whole picture in correctly

when using DLNA through the samsung tv the settings you have on the tv will be "fill picture to full display but crop ends" 

Basically your tv is making the video fit the whole screen at the cost of losing "cropping" the extra picture to the left and right of the original content, otherwise the picture would be seriously squashed

SamES

Can you please PM me a sample file?  @@JaysEmby is right.  Based on your DLNA picture it looks like it is being artificially stretched and cropped.

Javier GC

Yes it is that happens But my question is,

How can change this on app tv tizen? I don’t find way to change the display mode.

Even in Android Box TV Emby app try to change the display mode and none options are available ...

SamES

OK, so you just want to be able to zoom the image like the other platforms.

Unfortunately this feature has not yet been added to the Tizen app.

Guest JaysEmby

@@Javier GC 

i have tried the android app and there is an option to "zoom" which gives the option to stretch or zoom etc  :unsure: without the original file which is only 15s long its hard for the developers to help you and as its 30mb only.. maybe you can upload it if not personal or private of course

as for the tv app i cant see there being an option at all in future, only cause other apps i have tried dont let you change the picture size which bit a pain but way the samsung hardware is with apps and seems to grey out "disable" the picture size settings  :blink:

the file though is a rather unusual aspect ratio recording, kinda a waste to since its so wide that all tv's with a 16:9 aspect wouldn't play this back correctly full size without cropping the ends off or fits whole picture in and end up with fat black bars on the top and bottom which seems a waste for me  :(