Bulk editing

slyfox
Go to solution Solved by slyfox,

slyfox

In the metadata editor, my expectation is that when I choose and edit a TV show (main hierarchy folder), changing the parental rating should change all of the (sub-folders) seasons and episodes accordingly. However, this does not happen. Instead, every single episode has to be manually adjusted.

Please fix this behaviour. 

the-dumb1

It isn’t broken. That’s the way it is designed. Bulk Metadata editing has been a requested feature. I know because I was the one that created the request ... years ago.

slyfox

years ago..  :(  and nothing yet.

This looks like an oversight as it makes more sense for bulk editing to be the default option based on the folder hierarchy.

In the metadata editor, my expectation is that when I choose and edit a TV show (main hierarchy folder), changing the parental rating should change all of the (sub-folders) seasons and episodes accordingly. However, this does not happen. Instead, every single episode has to be manually adjusted.

Please fix this behaviour. 

For TV shows the rating is usually only defined at the show level and, therefore, if you edit it there that WILL be inherited by all the contained seasons and episodes.  The only way this would be an issue is if all your seasons and episodes had individual ratings defined which should not be the case in most instances.

slyfox

@@ebr

I use TV Show ratings to filter what appears in my child’s account.

Changing the rating for a TV shows makes the show appear under the child’s user name. However, there are no seasons in there. Empty. When I check the metadata for each seasons, it remains different from the change that I made. Thus, every season and episode has to be manually adjusted.

@@ebr

I use TV Show ratings to filter what appears in my child’s account.

Changing the rating for a TV shows makes the show appear under the child’s user name. However, there are no seasons in there. Empty. When I check the metadata for each seasons, it remains different from the change that I made. Thus, every season and episode has to be manually adjusted.

Where did your metadata come from?

Our standard providers should not have individual ratings for seasons or episodes...

slyfox

TheTVDB. The only change I did was go into Metadata editor in the server, find the show and change parents rating. The show then appears in the child’s user account but it is empty.

Edited by slyfox

TheTVDB. The only change I did was go into Metadata editor in the server, find the show and change parents rating. The show then appears in the child’s user account but it is empty.

I just tested this and it worked as expected.  Changed the rating of "Westworld" to TV-PG and it now shows completely in my restricted account.

Your metadata was gathered by Emby?

crusher11

Why shouldn't episodes have ratings? It's not uncommon for one or two episodes here or there to pop a higher rating than normal for a show.

Why shouldn't episodes have ratings? It's not uncommon for one or two episodes here or there to pop a higher rating than normal for a show.

Actually, I think that would be pretty uncommon but, in that case, you simply add a rating to that particular episode.  In most cases, those individual ratings would be redundant and aren't there and our system does work well in that case.

That isn't to say that we don't need better bulk editing - it is just that the specific case pointed out here really shouldn't be a problem most of the time.

crusher11

Depends where you're from I guess. Here in Australia prime time dramas are usually M but pop up to MA for some episodes. In the US they're probably the same, so it's caused by the different ratings systems and their emphases.

slyfox

Emby  emby-server-qnap_4.3.0.1

I tried again. Changed Justice League from TV-Y7 to TV-G (main show folder in Metadata editor). Only a few episodes appeared.

Changed Ducktales from TV-Y7 to TV-G. The seasons appear but have 0 episodes in them.

5d4dcc8a54985_ScreenShot20190809at33455P

5d4dcca166099_ScreenShot20190809at33911P

5d4dccc3e87b9_ScreenShot20190809at34001P

5d4dccd3c3afa_ScreenShot20190809at34005P

Edited by slyfox

Do all your individual episodes have ratings defined?

It may be a regional thing as suggested as pretty much none of mine do.

I'm sure our inheritance logic is working so it must be a case of the individual episodes having their own ratings.

Happy2Play

Unless there is already defined ratings per episode I don't see how this issue is possible.  Unless there is a underlying database issue.

Is Emby your only metadata provider?

I see MCM pushes MPAA to episode level nfo files but Emby does not.

Same discussion here also.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73561-metadata-editor-option-to-use-parental-rating-from-season-and-series-level/

Edited by Happy2Play

slyfox

I checked various kids TV cartoons show and some have and some do not have parental rating per episode. Ducktales has a parental rating for each episode. This is true for English and Russian metadata from TVDB. 

I think that Emby needs to step in and make a change to all sub-files when it comes to metadata management or make it so that if the TV shows itself has a certain rating all of the seasons and episodes will appear in the restricted user view.

slyfox

We already do, unless you've overridden this at the episode level.

Please explain. As I mentioned before, changing the parental rating for a specific TV show does nothing for seasons and episodes. Thus, only the TV Show itself appears in the restricted view and not the seasons or episodes. 

• Solution
slyfox

Where did your metadata come from?

Our standard providers should not have individual ratings for seasons or episodes...

I finally found the problem! You were right. The Ducktails series are m4v files with metadata in them. Each episode was rated as TV-Y7. I removed the parental rating metadata from the file and was able to let Emby handle it.

Thank you, everyone, for your support!

Edited by slyfox