Playlists with Offline Content Not Working

amura11
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

amura11

I recently took a road trip with the Emby mobile app and found that the downloaded content works great and playlists work great but they don't work well together. Or at all for that matter. The easiest way to reproduce my experience is:

1. Create a playlist with a few songs
  2. Download the playlist
  3. Wait for the downloads to complete
  4. Start playing the playlist
  5. Turn off data/wifi

Eventually the buffer will run out and the song will stop playing.

Obviously I have no idea how the application is programmed/designed but ideally it would be great if the application:

1. Cached information from the server (such as playlists) then you could at least see the playlists when data/wifi is off (this may also help with the issue where you can't access your downloads until a connection is made or times out)
  2. Preferred local content over remote content (or allowed this to be customized eg. always prioritize local content or only prioritize local content when on mobile data)

As the app stands it does a great job but it really falls down when it comes to playlists and offline content. As someone who doesn't have unlimited data and often goes out of service range this is a real bummer as I either can't use my playlists or I have to destroy my data.

• Like 1

• Solution

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We haven't yet implemented playlists for downloaded content, but it's planned for the future. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
knowenoughtobedangerous

That's a poor shortcoming and a plus for Plex. (Update: see apology in #5)

But it only anwers @@amura11 's first point.  What about:

Preferred local content over remote content (or allowed this to be customized eg. always prioritize local content or only prioritize local content when on mobile data)

I had expected that Emby would have this option to use local content at any time, including over wifi.  Being able to download content to overcome a sometimes dodgy wifi connection was a raison d'etre for me taking out a Premiere subsription and I'm sadly disappointed.

Another plus for Plex.

Edited by knowenoughtobedangerous
  • Like 1

I had expected that Emby would have this option to use local content at any time, including over wifi.

For videos we do, it's right on the video detail screen. You can pick the version you want to play, and it defaults to the downloaded version.

knowenoughtobedangerous

Contrary to what I said in #3,  Plex does not support downloading the actual playlist...... only the tracks, not the list itself.   Apologies.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Probably worth mentioning I have been using Yatse android app for playing music from emby until the emby app is improved (for music).

• Its interface isn't loading the web page so you can still browse items that are in the cahce and its alot quick to browse things.
  • Your play data gets synced back to emby as it is playing from emby
  • Download playlists etc
  • Someone it also tags the downloaded music as "music" so stock music playing apps can find  the files and play them. Even though the file is downloaded to the Android/data folder and the file is named in some hash format.

I still prefer the emby app for video etc but for me yatse works better for music.

• Like 1