Custom resolution presets for player

rechigo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

rechigo

I've always been a bit annoyed by the amount owns lack of some playback resolutions/bitrates. I think it would be a good idea if we could choose what resolutions/bitrates we want to be available in the different players. I don't think I'm the only one who will likely never use any 1080p resolution with a bitrate over 20mbps, and it would be nice to remove those and add some custom nitrates that aren't there by default.

• Like 1

I think if that's the objective it could be done without the need for options just by designing a better presentation to choose the quality.

rechigo

Not sure what you mean by that exactly, could you explain how you could redesign the current one to overcome these problems?

I don't have that answer right now as I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but I'm sure it could be done.

• 4 weeks later...
rechigo

I have an idea of how this could be revised.

1) Only show quality settings that are less than the video bitrate. (Currently it shows quality settings up to 60mbps for a 7 mbps video)

2) Only show a select few quality settings (ex: 480p 1mbps, 720p 2mbps, 1080p 4mbps) and have an option to "show all quality presets" and have that bring up more options for setting the quality

It's not that simple because sometimes you need to allow higher bitrates than the source depending the source and target codecs. For example if you're converting hevc to h264, the h264 will need to be at a higher bitrate in order to achieve the same level of quality as hevc.

• 3 weeks later...
rechigo

Yes I understand that, but if I were to select a bitrate higher than that of an HEVC source, it doesn’t transcode so I’m not sure why that’s an issue.

That has nothing to do with it. Suppose you set 10 mbps as your bitrate limit, and you want to play a 6 mbps hevc file.

If it can direct play, we'll direct play it, but if it has to transcode, then we may allow up to the full 10mbps limit that you specified when converting to h264.

rechigo

I get what you are saying now. But let me give an example here: I am playing a 1.5 mbps HEVC file in Emby Web, so I have to transcode to x264. In order to get the same level of quality, Emby transcodes it to say, 3 mbps. Take the bitrate of the transcoded stream, and set the highest bitrate in the quality settings to that bitrate, respectively.

• Solution

Yes that would make sense. The apps just currently are not aware of all those variables that are kept on the server. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
castillo92

Yes that would make sense. The apps just currently are not aware of all those variables that are kept on the server. Thanks for the feedback.

Hello!

To bring back this topic, I would like to help suggesting somthing more precise: a list inside: Settings -> Server -> Conversion -> Settings

Near to Upload speed limit (Mbps): a list with checkboxes to select which resolutions and bitrate will be allow in the player.

Something like that (I made with paint, taking the list of the player)

FW3nBq4.jpg

• Like 1