Simple idiots guide for Qnap TS453a

Sootchucker

Sootchucker

Hi guys, I've been running Emby as a Emby Premier user. 

My Qnap is a TS453a running QTS version 4.3.6.0993, and the unit has Intel Celeron 4 core N3160 CPU. 

I'm currently running Emby Server version 3.5.3.0 and notice there is a much newer version. Although the current one is working just fine, I'm wondering if I should update ?

I remember the last time I updated the app about 18 months ago, I screwed something up and it took me ages of fiddling to get everything working again. Does anyone therefore have an "idiots" guide to going the update. Oh, and what version does my CPU support please ?

Many thanks in advanced. 

One2Go
I remember the last time I updated the app about 18 months ago, I screwed something up and it took me ages of fiddling to get everything working again. Does anyone therefore have an "idiots" guide to going the update. Oh, and what version does my CPU support please ?

As Luke mentioned you have to make sure that your QNAP has a 64 bit OS. My TS-239 and TS-253Pro had a 32bit OS so I purchased a TS-253Be which is 64bit OS and the installation went without a hitch, having some libraries with local content as well as Live TV using a HDHomerun Extended tuner.

PenkethBoy

Yes the x53a models are all 64-bit and his qts version is 64-bit

Emby 4.x works fine on my 853a

Sootchucker

Thanks for everyone's comments. G0t the latest update loaded and it all seems to be working.....at least locally

Whilst it works fine on the local LAN at home, I seem to have lost remote connection to the Emby server ? I did disconnect my Netgear R7800 Nighthawk router and my Virginmedia router (which is in modem mode) very briefly whilst I plugged them into a new surge protected switch box, but other than that I haven't changed anything ?

I did a bit of a web search and it seems to be about port forwarding (I'll be very honest and say I'm no network genius), but when I installed the R7800 about 7 months ago and put the Virgin router into modem mode, I never changed any advanced settings and certainly never went into the port forwarding section of the routers advanced setup page (I wouldn't have know what I was doing anyway). Seems very strange then that everything was working just fine a few days ago (full remote access and the ability to play movies on my phones and ipad), but now I can only contact the Emby server if I'm at home on my WiFi network ? 

My network path is so:

Virgin Router (in modem mode) .....Netgear Nighthawk......Cat6e Lan to .....Netgear 5 port unmanned switch.....Qnap TS453A (situated in the study).

Into the unmanned switch just ahead of the Qnap, I also have my desktop PC plugged in, (so that both the Qnap and PC can see the router), and internet works fine on the PC, so I know it's not a "connection" issue between the router in the living room and the Qnap in the Study (about 20m between them.)

Any ideas please ?

Edited by Sootchucker

• 2 weeks later...
Sootchucker

Sorry, forgot to post back. Solution to not being able to connect remotely was simple enough. I had the need to turn my router and modem off for about 20 minutes (whilst I moved some furniture). Unknown to me, when the unit re-booted, it assigned a new IP address to the Qnap, and that was the reason I wasn't able to connect remotely. 

I had thought I had previously assigned a static IP address in the QNAP settings and had port forwarding set up on the Netgear router (but it must have defaulted back to standard when powered down). Sorting out the port forwarding and assigning a static IP address sorted the issue immediately, and I now have my beautiful QNAP system once again available to me on the go (not just at home).

If I might chance my luck however and ask one further question ? I particularly like silver "Apple TV" skin for the home page, and this works just fine when looking at the Emby homepage either though my Iphone, Android Phone, or directly on my Samsung TV. However when I view Emby at home though my Apple TV 4K (through the Emby app), the home page always comes up in "dark Mode", and going into settings on the Emby page doesn't appear to have any settings for the homepage skin ? I would have though that the Apple TV skin was made for Emby on the Apple TV ? Any ideas how i sort this please ?

Edited by Sootchucker

I had the need to turn my router and modem off for about 20 minutes (whilst I moved some furniture). Unknown to me, when the unit re-booted, it assigned a new IP address to the Qnap, and that was the reason I wasn't able to connect remotely. 

Thanks for the feedback.

the home page always comes up in "dark Mode"

What screen exactly are you referring to? The app does have a theme setting, and there is an Apple TV theme option.