Allow use of self-signed certificates

FreeBSD_Lover
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

FreeBSD_Lover

I'm not much of a certificates guy (yet) but would be nice if Emby would support the use of self-signed certificates, and then allow sessions using those certs mapped to an IP address either /32 or range.

I realize self-signed certs cannot have trust guaranteed, but it would be better then nothing.

So, Emby server and apps can create self-sign certs, and then on the server those certs are mapped to an IP addresses field so user can add other IP ranges. If device does not present itself with correct cert and IP address then emby denies session.  Emby server dashboard alerts / logs can be used to keep an eye on things. Most browsers can import a cert too right?

It would be better than nothing; and of course throw in the note/disclaimer that that use of self-self certs are not recommended.

Make sense or am I off the rails?

• Solution

Hi, you can already do this. We're not doing anything to prevent you from using a self-signed cert, however, not all apps can work with them.

• Like 1

FreeBSD_Lover

Oh! I thought I read on another non-forum page that emby had to use certs that were based on a valid domain name.  Thanks again for the rapid and great support! :)

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover