Transcoding not working 4.2.0.40

danielhopfen

danielhopfen

Hi, transcoding is not working for Live TV. No problems with direct stream + Muxing

I upgraded OS version, now i have the latest one installed, Android 9 on my shield server.

Honestly i didn't try to transcode movies 'cause i use it only for live TV streaming.

Livetime Premiere License.

As input live streaming source i use 2 devices, defined as .m3u:

1) Vbox Xti-3442  (https://www.vboxcomm.com/vbox-3rd-gen-tv-gateway.html)

2) Tbs2604 4k HDMI encoder ip streamer (https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs2604-4k-uhd-hd-h265-and-h264-hdmi-video-encoder.html)

m3u definition1 (tbs2604 4K):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,H265 8M
http://192.168.100.17:8080/hdmi

m3u definition2 (vbox):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1, Rai 1
http://192.168.99.16:55555/Rai%201
#EXTINF:-1, Rai 2
http://192.168.99.16:55555/Rai%202
#EXTINF:-1, Rai 3 TGR Lombardia
http://192.168.99.16:55555/Rai%203%20TGR%20Lombardia
#EXTINF:-1, Rete4
http://192.168.99.16:55555/Rete4

i attach logs for both input sources.

Thanks a lot.

d.

tbs2604-IPstreamer-LOGS.zip

vboxStreamer-LOGS.zip

post-473683-0-83391100-1565206050_thumb.png

post-473683-0-23856100-1565206061_thumb.png

hardware_detection-63700806503.txt

Edited by danielhopfen

Hi, according to the server log it looks like the source streams don't have any data. But I'm pulling in @@softworkz for him to review. Thanks.

danielhopfen

no no absolutly not, direct stream works well. the issue occurs when i forse a low bandwith like 420K, 240K, 1MB, normal condition when i use mobile phone and 4G

@@danielhopfen - Thanks for the logs.

We need to identify the problem in a step-by-step approach.

• I don't know those devices you are using, so we should rule them out (for a start)
  • It appears that you're running the Emby client app on the same Shield device where you are running the server - correct?
    I might be possible that this doesn't work if the client is using hw acceleration for playback while the server is using hw acceleration

So let's start testing transcoding by playing back a movie from a remote client (e.g. a browser on a PC). Force transcoding by reducing the bandwidth setting.

Then, try playing the live TV from the remote client (forcing transcoding as well)

Finally try playing a movie from the client on the Shield (again forcing transcoding).

Please report back when you got the results.

Thanks.

danielhopfen

Hi softworkz, thanks for your support.

It appears that you're running the Emby client app on the same Shield device where you are running the server - correct?

Yes, that's right.

I used other client to do other test. I upgraded the server version to the last one, 4.2.1.0.

Here the test scenarios:

LOGS  EdgeBrowserWin10-client-MOVIE.zip:

- Client: MS Edge Bowser Windows 10

- Connection: same LAN (server & client)

- Video source: h265 movie (file) in the library

- Transcoding Result: failure

LOGS  EdgeBrowserWin10-client-VBOX_TV_LIVEDECODER:

- Video source: vbox xti3442 IP live TV decoder

LOGS EdgeBrowserWin10-client-TBS2604-DIRECTSTREAM_OK.zip

- Video source: tbs2604 IP streamer 

- Direct Stream Result: Success

LOGS  embyMobileSamsungS9-client-MOVIE.zip:

- Client: Emby mobile on Samsung S9+

- Connection: WAN2LAN 4G accessing from Internet at home. i have a 1Gbit fiber connection, static public IP at home

- Video source: h265 movie (file) in the library

LOGS  embyMobileSamsungS9-client-VBOX_TV_LIVEDECODER.zip

- Client: Emby mobile on Samsung S9+

- Connection: WAN2LAN 4G accessing from Internet at home. i have a 1Gbit fiber connection, static public IP at home

- Video source: vbox xti3442 IP live TV decoder

Next step could be:

1) I give you access to my server so you can test yourself video streaming (need your email to provide url emby server and login/password). i could setup a ftp server on my shield to access emby logs

2) i reset Shield and install a fresh copy of Emby server.

3) i don't have another options... :)

Let me kindly know.

Daniel

EdgeBrowserWin10-client-MOVIE.zip

EdgeBrowserWin10-client-VBOX_TV_LIVEDECODER.zip

embyMobileSamsungS9-client-MOVIE.zip

embyMobileSamsungS9-client-VBOX_TV_LIVEDECODER.zip

EdgeBrowserWin10-client-TBS2604-DIRECTSTREAM_OK.zip

Thanks for all the logs. 

I hadn't expected that.

It seems that ffmpeg is always crashing when trying to use hw acceleration.

In this case I think it might the best option to reset the Shield and reinstall from scratch..

danielhopfen

Hi.

In this case I think it might the best option to reset the Shield and reinstall from scratch..

Done  :)

After installation i set again cache and temp path to my external USB SSD hard drive "NVIDIA_SHIELD" folder, library folder external USB too. You can see transcoding options in the picture.

Same result. Nothing new.

Is it a hardware problem?

Anyway i have 2 nvidia shields, one in Milano where i am now and where i usually stay and another one in my second apartment in Turin where i will go this afternoon.

I will try in Turin if i'll have the same issue.

I'm desperate :)

Thank you for your support.  :)

Daniel

post-473683-0-08808000-1565327622_thumb.png

hardware_detection-63700930290.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-00055ebd-56d0-4d7f-bd1c-9f1257503034_1.txt

embyserver.txt

danielhopfen

Hi Luke,

> Can you try changing the transcoding temp path back to default?

Done

Same result, no transcoding.

I powered remotly on my second nvisia shield located in Turin.Last week i upgraded OS version to Android 9. Didn't try Emby server.

I'm trying right now to stream from that device movies. Same result, no transcoding.

Honestly i  believe that it is unlikely that 2 shields have hardware issues.

The question is, has Emby server been tested on Android 9, the latest version of the operating system?

Let me kindly know  what kind of other test to do.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Daniele

@@danielhopfen - Unfortunately there exists an incompatibility between Emby and the latest Shield update (8.0.0).

While we are looking at it, the only instant solution is to revert to the previous version 7.2.3.by installing a recovery image 

https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20TV%202017%20Recovery&tx=$additional,shield

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/mobile/docs/HowTo-Flash-Recovery-Image.txt

Edited by Luke

danielhopfen

thanks for your answer.
if I can make some considerations:

1) installing version 7.2.3 is always a risk. If something goes wrong I can throw the device away
2) for correctness you should put a warning on the download page of the Android emby server version in which you warn that it does not work with Nvidia Shield android 9 (latest version). it's the least you can do.
3) Can you give me some forecasts of the date by which the issue will be fixed?  I purposely purchased two Shield for the emby server and a emby lifetime license. It would be sad to find out soon that i need to use other streaming software.

Best Regards

thanks for your answer.

if I can make some considerations:

1) installing version 7.2.3 is always a risk. If something goes wrong I can throw the device away

2) for correctness you should put a warning on the download page of the Android emby server version in which you warn that it does not work with Nvidia Shield android 9 (latest version). it's the least you can do.

3) Can you give me some forecasts of the date by which the issue will be fixed?  I purposely purchased two Shield for the emby server and a emby lifetime license. It would be sad to find out soon that i need to use other streaming software.

Best Regards

Please take my apologies for the confusion.

We had been testing Emby Server with Android Pie last year and and we found that hwa doesn't work on Pie r1 to r8.

Usually those early releases are  used by device manufacturers only for early adoption and testing. Even the first Pixel devices were based on later releases and the current is r47. That's why we hadn't been really concerned about the problem in r1-r8.

As such it's been a bad surprise to see that the new "Shield Experience 8.0.0" is based on Pie r3.

From the earlier experience I had doubts about being able to find a quick solution, that's why I suggested reverting to 7.2.3 (and hoped for a new Shield Experience beta update based on a later Pie release).

And yes: A warning about not updating to Shield Experience 8.0.0 would have been our next action.

To my own surprise I was able to find a solution quickly and we're all glad that we can avoid a very unpleasant situation for our users.

Thanks for your patience!

Edited by softworkz

danielhopfen

thanks again for the support. I have not yet had time to test the server. This afternoon I will be in Turin where I will try the new version on the shield that is connected to the Sky decoder, live TV. If I find any anomaly I will not hesitate to contact you again.

daniel