I REALLY want to get rid of Plex, does Emby support 4k HDR yet on Xbox?

swanlee

swanlee

I'm so tried of dealing with buffering issues with plex on the Xbox, this is a known issue and lots of people are having these issues and Plex support just completely ignores it no matter how many people have issues.

So I'm really wanting to dump plex for Emby but I need to know if Emby actually supports 4k HDR on the Xbox yet and if so how good is playback?

Edited by swanlee

swanlee

Thanks, looks like a waiting game, think i'm just going to have to get another streaming client, their does not seem to be a useable 4k HDR streaming option for the Xbox now. Plex is a total mess with it.

Emby works equally well on Roku in 4K with HDR 10+ and/or DolbyVision. 

Microsoft makes working in 4K HDR on their XBox a challenge. We aren't at the end of that challenge. It isn't over yet and throwing in the towel. Microsoft has challenged everyone and continues to throw in other challenges.

Edited by speechles

• 1 month later...
lightsout

Emby works equally well on Roku in 4K with HDR 10+ and/or DolbyVision.

Microsoft makes working in 4K HDR on their XBox a challenge. We aren't at the end of that challenge. It isn't over yet and throwing in the towel. Microsoft has challenged everyone and continues to throw in other challenges.

How are you playing DV with through Emby? I didn't think that was possible outside of some included method players on certain TV's.

How are you playing DV with through Emby? I didn't think that was possible outside of some included method players on certain TV's.

RokuTV. Supports 12bit.

March 27, 2019:

TCL US, it appears, has just rolled out a firmware update to at least some of its TVs that enables the Xbox One Dolby Vision profile to workDolby Vision on the Xbox One S and X apparently now works on TCL Dolby Vision TVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/03/27/xbox-one-dolby-vision-problems-great-news-for-tcl-tv-owners/

TCL 50s425 can too. That is the model I am using.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

RokuTV. Supports 12bit.

March 27, 2019:

TCL US, it appears, has just rolled out a firmware update to at least some of its TVs that enables the Xbox One Dolby Vision profile to workDolby Vision on the Xbox One S and X apparently now works on TCL Dolby Vision TVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/03/27/xbox-one-dolby-vision-problems-great-news-for-tcl-tv-owners/

TCL 50s425 can too. That is the model I am using.

I wasn't questioning TCL tv's ability to display DV. I have a 5 series as well that does this currently through Netflix. 

My question was in regards to Emby. Is it verified that a DV UHD rip can be properly played through Emby?

These rips are in the initial stages and it was my understanding that playback was limited.

I wasn't questioning TCL tv's ability to display DV. I have a 5 series as well that does this currently through Netflix. 

My question was in regards to Emby. Is it verified that a DV UHD rip can be properly played through Emby?

These rips are in the initial stages and it was my understanding that playback was limited.

On the Roku Emby app yes it works 4K UHD with HDR10+ or DolbyVision. What isn't supported is Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG).

On the Xbox one Emby app I am not at all sure. I just know my friend told me he gets DolbyVision on his Xbox One S with his RokuTV too, but he doesn't use Emby. He only watches Netflix... lol.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

On the Roku Emby app yes it works 4K UHD with HDR10+ or DolbyVision. What isn't supported is Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG).

On the Xbox one Emby app I am not at all sure. I just know my friend told me he gets DolbyVision on his Xbox One S with his RokuTV too, but he doesn't use Emby. He only watches Netflix... lol.

So are these single layer MP4 rips? Do you have any yourself?

The ones i do have are 24fps 4K dolbyvision. Because anything over 30fps can't be in 12bit you max out the bandwidth of the HDMI. Top out around 18Gbps. For 4K DolbyVision 12bit you would need 25Gbps at a minimum. This is why Microsoft implemented theirs in a strange way to get around that limitation. Some devices can work with that dumbed down dolbyvision, some cannot and will fall back to hdr10. The reason RokuTV works is because there is no HDMI. The Roku is IN the TV.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

The ones i do have are 24fps 4K dolbyvision. Because anything over 30fps can't be in 12bit you max out the bandwidth of the HDMI. Top out around 18Gbps. For 4K DolbyVision 12bit you would need 25Gbps at a minimum. This is why Microsoft implemented theirs in a strange way to get around that limitation. Some devices can work with that dumbed down dolbyvision, some cannot and will fall back to hdr10. The reason RokuTV works is because there is no HDMI. The Roku is IN the TV.

Thanks for the write up. Sounds pretty cool I'll have to try it out.

Last I read they even had lossless audio included but you just couldn't include subs inside the container. Just need a way to send that lossless audio.

• 2 weeks later...
MagicDoubleM

DolbyVision seems to partially work through the Android Client on an 4k-FireTV-Stick. At least i have some LG Demos and the p5-samples from Dolby playing. Even the DolbyVision + DolbyAtmos combo works! So it can be done.

But handmade files (via Dolby's mp4muxer) have not yet triggered DV on my LG-TV, no matter what profile i use. They all play fine when i use the webOS-client.

I just tried a DV MP4, I had audio but no video just a black screen, this was with a Roku TV (TCL 5 series)

DolbyVision works on my series 4 50s425 model (7130x). I think Roku discontinued that model though to focus on a true 4K UI. Those new 2019/2020 Roku TV models will have true 4K UI as well as capable of playing in 4K. The newer 7 and 8 series should support both HDR and DolbyVision. Not sure if they are going to focus on series 4/5  with it since those are budget models now. They want people to adopt higher quality to get DolbyVision now.

Edited by speechles

lightsout

DolbyVision works on my series 4 50s425 model (7130x). I think Roku discontinued that model though to focus on a true 4K UI. Those new 2019/2020 Roku TV models will have true 4K UI as well as capable of playing in 4K. The newer 7 and 8 series should support both HDR and DolbyVision. Not sure if they are going to focus on series 4/5  with it since those are budget models now. They want people to adopt higher quality to get DolbyVision now.

DV is on 5 series and above, the new models are 6 and 8 this year. (5 as well but that looks more like a refresh. If you listed your model correctly (4 series) those don't support Dolby Vision, unless you have some sort of special one, idk.