ET loads a Black Screen

PrincessClevage

pgriffith

Apologies, looking into it, but you should be able to avoid re-installing by just deleting this folder:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron

Deleted that folder, still black.

Edit, Did fix it, just took a long time to start, and then presented me with the log in screen. I assume it was downloading Electron again.

Edited by pgriffith

SHAH079012

same problem here, uninstalled (after unsuccessfull re-boot of emby and PC etc) uninstalled leaving current preferences in place (in case it deleted my very very extensive library that i have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on... and then when i try to re-install i keep getting a windows security message (no security or firewall is on at all) I am a lifetime gold member and have supported (paid) from the beginning and now I'm screwed

PrincessClevage

Apologies, looking into it, but you should be able to avoid re-installing by just deleting this folder:

Deleted that folder, still black.

Edit, Did fix it, just took a long time to start, and then presented me with the log in screen. I assume it was downloading Electron again.
This worked for me Edited by PrincessClevage

Mike-G

Me too.  Updated Windows. Updated graphics card drivers. Went through earlier threads on this: found the message in Windows event viewer, did the suggested registry edits, etc.  Those edits broke other stuff (I don't think I goofed the edits, but could be). Ultimately ended up having to restore my system disk from backup (fortunately I do nightly backups and have a spare bootable partition to make restores easy, just for situations like this). 

What resolved it was a uninstall-all-traces and reinstall of Emby Theater.

It's very strange that a number of us are seeing the same thing, about the same time, all seemingly spontaneously.  So I have to ask: Is Emby (or any of its components) downloading/using stuff from the internet/cloud behind the scenes as part of its functionality (not stuff like artwork, metadata). Maybe we were all affected by something that silently changed in internet-land?

Edited by Mike-G

AdrianW

Deleting the electron folder fixed it for me.

IMPORTANT: don't forget to adjust ALL your ET settings again - for some reason they must be stored in that folder.

At least reset these: Video hardware acceleration mode, Audio speaker layout & Audio passthrough. 

TonyAdamson

Just started happening for me tonight. Watched a film, closed emby, hour later started emby and black screen. Escape takes me to emby background with only the 3 windows icons in the top right.

pmac

I was having the same issue, and ended up noticing there were a bunch of files and folders within the electron folder that said they were last modified today (after my last attempt at loading ET), so I only deleted those files (not the entire electron folder) and everything seems to be working fine now.

thewallace

I started getting the black screen last night too.

So I deleted the C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron folder. On starting ET I got a black screen for 5 seconds and then ET asked me log into my server with username/password.

All ok now, I'm back up.

nickyrat

I have the same issue. I had just installed an update for a driver, so I thought that was the problem. I spent a few hours rolling back drivers and doing a System Restore, with no luck. Decided to check the forums just in case...and viola, this forum post saved the day!

I deleted the electron folder, and now I'm back in business. It did take about 15 seconds of black screen before it popped up with the login screen. A few settings had been set back to default like the theme, and sound effects and stuff like that.

So, lesson learned...check the forum before spending hours on trying to fix it! :)

• Like 1

AdrianW

...and viola, 

5d4d7c33e5f0f_viola.jpg

:P  ;)

( Voila! )

I'm just thankful you didn't type "wallah", like I've seen on some forums.  :angry:

Edited by AdrianW

nickyrat

5d4d7c33e5f0f_viola.jpg

:P  ;)

( Voila! )

I'm just thankful you didn't type "wallah", like I've seen on some forums.  :angry:

Haha, punk...

I swear there was a movie or TV show where a guy pronounces voila as "vee-oh-lah" and I've done it ever since.

AdrianW

Any updates on black screen @@Luke ?

You can get ET working again by deleting the folder mentioned in this post (above).

Only issue is you'll need to reconfigure any settings you'd altered on ET's setting screen. 

justsomebody

I did what pmac said and just deleted any folders/files within the electron folder that said they were last modified in the last day or two. This worked for me and I don't *think* I lost any of my settings, at least not that I noticed. But this brings up a question for me - is there any way to save/backup/export one's Emby Theater settings? I'd have liked to do so before deleting those files in case I lost my settings, but didn't know how. And soon I'll be building a new PC so I'd like to have my settings backed up to refer to when I install it on the new PC.

crazybbs

The only file I had to delete was Windowstate.json inside C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron to make it work again.

This problem really scared me because I've a plugin inside theater and I know that @@Luke Delete the options to add a plugin inside theater so it would be a real problem to reset all my settings by deleting the entire folder.

So I've a question @@Luke, is it possible to manually add a plugin inside ET anymore?

Thank you,

TheShanMan

I just confirmed that I could go back to my old install by just deleting windowstate.json. @@Luke, why did this file suddenly cause this big of a problem for everyone? Any way to enhance ET to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Senna

I just confirmed that I could go back to my old install by just deleting windowstate.json.

Not in my case (Nvidia based system), so I'm curious on what systems it works, to only delete the windowstate.json.

Disturbd1

I had to delete the whole "Emby-Theatre" folder and re-install. Also re-configure my settings.

Now everything works again. Also after exiting ET and starting it up.

I experienced the same thing, followed these same steps, and got the same result.

nickyrat

So, this is still an issue for me. It worked fine when I deleted the folder posted above.
But today I had to restart my computer, and when it popped back up it was having the same issue. Emby Theater is just a black screen. And this time...deleting the folder has not fixed it.

UPDATE:

After restarting a few times, it was still an issue. On the 3rd try of deleting the folder, Emby Theater finally loaded. Display presets were gone, so had to fix those again.

Is there anyway to fix this so we don't have to go through the "delete folder, fix presets" any time our computer restarts?

Thanks!

Edited by nickyrat

Is there anyway to fix this so we don't have to go through the "delete folder, fix presets" any time our computer restarts?

You shouldn't have to do that, and I can't reproduce that problem. Are you still running into it?

• 3 weeks later...