ET loads a Black Screen

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Hi there,

I have manually changed nothing and today ET loads only a black screen. I have noticed that Emby server has performed an auto update, could this be related? So far I have tried a reboot, tried redownloading ET but it just threw an error after about 15mins, “Error downloading package. There may be a problem communicating with the update server.

System.net.webexception

Edited by PrincessClevage
  • Like 1

Trunk

I have the same issue today. Running in latest stable server and latest ET. (All windows)

I have used ET with the Emby Server 4.2.0.40 yesterday so it's probably not connected to the update.

The complete log for ET:

2019-08-07 12:55:25.395 Info Main: Application path: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe
2019-08-07 12:55:25.395 Info Main: Emby
 Command line: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18362.0
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: False
 User Interactive: True
 Processor count: 8
 Program data path: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater
 Application directory: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system
2019-08-07 12:55:25.441 Info Main: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron\electron.exe "C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\electronapp" "C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron" "C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\cec\cec-client.x64.exe" "C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\mpv.exe"
2019-08-07 12:55:25.520 Info App: Application version: 3.0.8.0
2019-08-07 12:55:25.551 Info App: Application configuration:
 {"EnableDebugLevelLogging":false,"EnableAutoUpdate":true,"LogFileRetentionDays":3,"RunAtStartup":false,"IsStartupWizardCompleted":false}
2019-08-07 12:55:25.551 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Model, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-07 12:55:25.551 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Common, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-07 12:55:25.551 Info App: Loading Emby.Theater, Version=3.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-07 12:55:25.598 Info Main: HDMI CEC driver already installed.
2019-08-07 12:55:25.707 Info App: Core startup complete
2019-08-07 12:55:28.708 Info TaskManager: StartupTrigger fired for task: Check for application updates
2019-08-07 12:55:28.711 Info TaskManager: Queueing task SystemUpdateTask
2019-08-07 12:55:28.722 Info TaskManager: Executing Check for application updates
2019-08-07 12:55:28.742 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Theater.Windows/releases
2019-08-07 12:55:29.607 Info TaskManager: Check for application updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-08-07 12:55:29.625 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
Edited by Trunk

khodges747

Same issue here. Black screen, and if I hit Esc I get the theme background with the 3 Windows control buttons in the top right corner.

Tried downgrading server to previous version (becuz the problem started right after a server update) but no help.

Tried donwgrading to earlier version of Theater, also no help.

Log file attached.

theater-63700767986.txt

AdrianW

I would try restarting the app. Thanks.

Well, I definitely already tried that, as well as restarting the server and the entire PC. Didn't help.

Unless you've altered something just now.

-edit-

Just checked again - still just a blank screen. I can hear the UI sounds when pressing left & right - but can't see anything.

Edited by AdrianW

msmikev1958

Same thing here. Did all the things the other people did. Nothing helps. I can confirm that hitting escape gets the background and the min/max/close on the upper right, but that's it.

AdrianW

Pressing esc for me just displays the spinning coloured circle.

Hopefully this gets fixed before tomorrow - I don't want to be answering the "why did you break it?" question again.

• Like 2

Strange. I just tried a fresh install and it seems to be fine. Can you try restarting the app again? Thanks.

msmikev1958

Mine is working but I am afraid to close it so I don't know if it is truly fixed. I was one of those that rolled back to 3.0.6 because of the no overlay issue. After doing the rollback, ET would keep downloading the update package over and over, but not installing it since I had renamed the updater as per the instructions.My internet connection is fairly unreliable, so the downloading was a big issue. I then edited the config file to set auto update to false and startup wizard completed to true. That stopped it downloading. So far so good. I noticed in the file that the log retention setting is three days. I had made these changes exactly three days ago.

Strictly shooting in the dark, I deleted the update zip folder that was already downloaded, deleted the system and data folders and reverted the ones that had been previously renamed with the .old extension back to the originals. I left the config file as it was with the changes I had made.

Theater now starts and works, but I'm not excited about exiting and having it not work twice, so there you have it. Hope this helps.

Edited by msmikev1958

khodges747

Strange. I just tried a fresh install and it seems to be fine. Can you try restarting the app again? Thanks.

With all due respect Luke, I have restarted the app probably 10 times. Also restarted Emby Server multiple times. Also rolled back to earlier versions of both Server and Theater (which implies restarting the app). I even tried restarting my car, but that didn't help either.

• Like 1

Trunk

I had to delete the whole "Emby-Theatre" folder and re-install. Also re-configure my settings.

Now everything works again. Also after exiting ET and starting it up.

• Like 1

kode0001

I had the same experience. ET was working fine, I closed it and reopened it maybe an hour later and the screen was black. Arrow keys made the clicking sounds and pushing escape showed the colored background like it was in the escape menu. Restart, reboot had the same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is working fine.

Didn't run a log before I reinstalled...(didn't think about it) Latest version of ET, Win10 version 1903 build 18362.239, no recent updates and nothing showed up in my anti-virus log. If it happens again I'll make sure to get a real log. Just thought it would be helpful to add whatever little bit I could. Odd it happening to multiple people on the same day.

Tenyrsgone27

Hello,

Had the same issue. Uninstalled, deleted the ET folder from my roaming folder. Reinstalled ET and everything works fine now. 

TheShanMan

Started happening to me today too. Restarting doesn't help, nor does rebooting. I'm running 3.0.6. Sounds like I need to wipe out that install and reinstall 3.0.6 again. Looking forward to hearing why this started happening to everyone today when it was working last night and I'm pretty sure nothing changed on the machine (ET, Emby Server, or Windows itself) between last night and now.

• Like 1

pgriffith

Same here, got 2 machines and it's only happening on one of them, both are 3.08. running on Windows 8.1 (Media Center). Was working fine last night, machines run 24/7 but I closed Emby on both before I went to bed.

My main gaming PC has it installed but I don't really use it on there, is working as well on Windows 10.

Edit: Just noticed something, it's not entirely dead, I left it black for awhile and it started the slideshow, so it's still alive somewhat, of course touching the remote brings back the black screen. I can hear the beeps as I left/right with the remote too.

Edited by pgriffith

justsomebody

Just chiming in with a "me too". All was well last night, suddenly today no bueno. Emby Theater desktop version 3.0.8, server 4.2.0.40, Windows 10, no changes made on my end. Restarted Theater/Server/PC multiple times. Would really prefer not to have to do a full uninstall/reinstall. 

Apologies, looking into it, but you should be able to avoid re-installing by just deleting this folder:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron