NextPVR fails to play some HD TV channels

jordy

jordy

Hi @@Luke,

I've just noticed that Emby is having a problem with playback on some (but not all) HD TV channels using H264 codec. I'm just getting a black scree with spinner. All SD (mpeg2) channels are fine.

EDIT: just to note that ALL channels playback just fine using the NextPVR app v4.2.4 (190307)

Here are the logs

thanks

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-7e4a37ac-3585-4a7f-9cdd-c5875ec230c0_1.txt

Edited by jordy

jordy

What kind of tv tuner?

Hauppage twin tuner, USB. Been working fine until recently.

I would try lowering the in app quality setting to force a full transcode and see how that compares.

jordy

I would try lowering the in app quality setting to force a full transcode and see how that compares.

yep, will give that a try, but, seeing as it worked perfectly for a very long time until just recently and always with the current settings - I haven't changed any Live TV settings for ages, I can't see that it will achieve anything other than to say that transcoding works  at a lower bit rate...

jordy

It appears to be a Chrome issue

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

FF and Edge both work ok on HD channels without any bitrate or transcoding adjustments. They also play ok on my Android phone. They're all just a little slow to start tho.

I have tried Chrome on the Server pc and on another pc on the same local lan and neither will play HD channels - just a spinner.

EDIT: tried the WebApp in Chrome on both server pc and the other one and it does not work there either, it does work using the WebApp with FF and Edge though.
Edited by jordy

jordy

@@Luke

Another test...

I enabled emby's LiveTV - without using the NextPVR plugin - and on Chrome 76.0.3809.100, HD (h264) channels still do not play. SD channels are playing OK.

Not sure how I can enforce transcoding using a web browser on the server pc - i thought it was transcoded by default for web browers anyway - hence the ffmpeg log?. If you can point me to the appropriate settings i'll give it a try :)

There isn't an explicit force option, you'd just have to drop the quality setting low enough to make that happen.

This is h264 that we probably should be transcoding, but judging from the media info alone it looks like a video stream that should not require transcoding, and that's why it's not happening.

jordy

This is h264 that we probably should be transcoding, but judging from the media info alone it looks like a video stream that should not require transcoding, and that's why it's not happening.

Thing is, up until very recently, h264 TV was working just fine, transcoding or not. Now, it's trying to transcode because it generates a transcode log, but its just not getting to my pc screen. Something has changed.... It all works fine on Android phone, Shield, Windows app, Emby Theater, Firefox browser, Edge Browser - just not Chrome browser.

Bit of a theme there wouldn't you say?

jordy

Can you check the chrome debug console for any errors? Thanks.

OK. Process as follows:

1. Open Emby on FF browser. select Live TV and select Ch7 HD from the guide, result: plays correctly after about 10 or so seconds.
  2. Close Emby and re-open (on the same pc) on Chrome browser with Debugging enabled
  3. Restart Emby to clear log
  4. Open Live TV and select Ch7 HD from the guide, result: black screen & spinner for 1 minute
  5. View Chrome Console Window and copy error msgs found there
  6. Retrieve all other logs

thanks

embyserver_20190812.txt

ffmpeg-remux-f22f6c90-c3cb-4a38-8d06-22398e42689a_1.txt

chrome_debug.log

Chrome Console Window.txt

jordy

I'm talking about the chrome debugger console. Can you capture that? Thanks.

Is this what you mean?

post-196-0-86855200-1565861186_thumb.jpg

jordy

OK, this is the entire content of the Console from an emby restart to failing to play 7HD. The only error which appears AFTER I select "Play" is the "Uncaught (in Promise)..." error at the bottom. the others all appear as soon as I open the gui.

5d55ef05a42b5_Console.jpg

Edited by jordy

If you play it and then immediately pause the video player and wait for 30 seconds, then unpause, does it play?

• 2 weeks later...
jordy

If you play it and then immediately pause the video player and wait for 30 seconds, then unpause, does it play?

Sorry for the delayed reply - life took over...

If I attempt to pause play or have any interaction with the black playback screen at any point after it appears, the interface freezes (the time counter continues to increment in 3sec intervals though) and I have to refresh the page to unlock it and return to the guide.