Visual seeking improvements

rechigo

rechigo

So I was curious about how Emby handled visual seeking as I noticed it can be a bit slower than other services, even on a decent network connection. After investigating I found that Emby gets the visual seeking thumbnails by making individual web requests for preview thumbnails. I investigated how other platforms did this like YouTube and I found that they make fewer requests for visual seeking and each request contains an image of multiple preview thumbnails to reduce the web requests needed. I have attached screenshots of what I am talking about if you want a visual example.

As much as I would like to see this happen, it most likely will not happen for a very long time or even at all as it would has significant costs because it would require the visual seeking system for all clients to be rewritten.

post-466322-0-61235400-1565070277_thumb.jpg

post-466322-0-92571900-1565070285_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

This technique is called 'skip sheets' or 'thumbnail sheets' and this is something I had put on our internal list for consideration a while ago.

I hope we'll get to that soon because a large amount of single-image requests can block client operation

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
Karl Blixt

Is there any new information on this issue currently?

The difference in smoothness is quite large and wouldn't call this feature complete without it feeling as smooth as other similar services.

• 2 years later...
Karl Blixt

As far as I can tell this improvement isn't in the 4.7 update? 

Is it still on the cards?